• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Famitsu Sales: Week 40, 2023 (Sep. 25 - Oct. 01)

Credit: Chris1964

Famitsu Sales: Week 40, 2023 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

01./00. [NSW] Fate/Samurai Remnant # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.09.28} (¥8.800) - 34.728 / NEW
02./00. [NSW] Infinity Strash: Dragon Quest the Adventure of Dai <RPG> (Square Enix) {2023.09.28} (¥6.800) - 24.367 / NEW
03./00. [PS5] Fate/Samurai Remnant # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.09.28} (¥8.800) - 21.569 / NEW
04./00. [PS5] Ys X: Nordics # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2023.09.28} (¥7.800) - 18.563 / NEW
05./02. [NSW] Pikmin 4 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.07.21} (¥5.980) - 18.307 / 882.536 (-20%)
06./00. [NSW] EA Sports FC 24 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2023.09.29} (¥6.091) - 16.485 / NEW
07./00. [PS5] EA Sports FC 24 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2023.09.29} (¥8.818) - 15.863 / NEW
08./00. [NSW] Ys X: Nordics # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2023.09.28} (¥7.800) - 15.846 / NEW
09./00. [PS4] Fate/Samurai Remnant # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.09.28} (¥8.800) - 12.203 / NEW
10./00. [PS4] EA Sports FC 24 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2023.09.29} (¥8.818) - 11.750 / NEW

Top 10

NSW - 5
PS5 - 3
PS4 - 2

HARDWARE

ExkCAR3.jpg

While not surprising, it's still impressive to me that Nintendo Switch is pulling off that level of chart domination this many years into existence.

Pikmin 4 will sell a million physical units in Japan by January. I wonder where it stands when digital is included.

Do we have numbers from other regions for that game?

While not surprising, it's still impressive to me that Nintendo Switch is pulling off that level of chart domination this many years into existence.
Nintendo bwtting on the replacement market was a good idea. I think we won’t be seeing a Switch 2 Pro, but rather, a refresh akin to the OLED

Those numbers seem low for Ys X?
The number is being split 3 ways compared to the single sku back in 2019 when 9 launched.

9 did ~45k on just PS4

10 did ~33k on switch + ps5 with an unknown amount of ps4 sales (less then 11k though based upon the top 10)

So depending upon where the ps4 version falls, it's probably closer to 38-42k at launch at retail. A small drop but not smashing the panic button.

The number is being split 3 ways compared to the single sku back in 2019 when 9 launched.

9 did ~45k on just PS4

10 did ~33k on switch + ps5 with an unknown amount of ps4 sales (less then 11k though based upon the top 10)

So depending upon where the ps4 version falls, it's probably closer to 38-42k at launch at retail. A small drop but not smashing the panic button.
Ah fair enough

looks like wom isn't too good. maybe if this game didn't suffer poor dev cycle and came out while the cartoon was airing
Yep. Also read the story isn't even finished which makes these only appealing for DQ die hards.

Wow... PS games finally showed up, lol... 9/10 are new releases. Pikmin still hanging on amongst the newcomers. I can't wait to see numbers once Mario Wonder drops.

Man, that's not good for a DQ game, even as spin-off. The Adventure of Die 😞
I actually think it did very well considering the end product was mediocre, the anime is not airing and ir was competing against 2 other arpg. I wasnt expcting it to chart in top 10

Huh, never would’ve expected the latest EA football game to do best on Switch at launch

This is the equivalent of ballot stuffing when you’re still in a cross-gen period after nearly 3 years
We’ve seen the legacy edition chart every so often while the PS version hasn’t for awhile now. So I don’t think it too surprising a day & date release would perform better at launch.

Ah fair enough
As a follow up, with ps4 numbers now know (which were higher then that prediction) we know week 1 ys x sold 44,592 units week 1, so all in all at retail Ys sales were flat and with digital it might even be a slight improvement.

As a follow up, with ps4 numbers now know (which were higher then that prediction) we know week 1 ys x sold 44,592 units week 1, so all in all at retail Ys sales were flat and with digital it might even be a slight improvement.
I always find it odd that a series that’s been around so long (37 years?), that’s still consistently highly regarded as an action rpg, has such a low sales cap. Like, sure it’s niche, but it routinely pops up in rpg discussion/recommendation threads

That's just how it is with RPGs. Conversely, stuff like Roblox and FIFA are immensely popular but they almost never get mentioned on message boards.
Very true, good point

I guess you could say the same for almost everything Falcom, Atlus and Vanillaware make, and even Square’s less popular, smaller projects. Immediate dedicated threads on Famiboards and treated as a major release in ‘what’s out this month’ threads, over and above all kinds of stuff that the forum doesn’t care for

I always find it odd that a series that’s been around so long (37 years?), that’s still consistently highly regarded as an action rpg, has such a low sales cap. Like, sure it’s niche, but it routinely pops up in rpg discussion/recommendation threads
That's just how it is with RPGs. Conversely, stuff like Roblox and FIFA are immensely popular but they almost never get mentioned on message boards.
What meatbag said

When you have an insular community of hyper fans, the tastes and opinions will skew wildly from the general population. It's why some people here will talk about Animal Crossing like it's a niche series or put Metroid on a higher tier of "major" Nintendo IP.

What meatbag said

When you have an insular community of hyper fans, the tastes and opinions will skew wildly from the general population. It's why some people here will talk about Animal Crossing like it's a niche series or put Metroid on a higher tier of "major" Nintendo IP.
Yeah. Also why Ring Fit Adventure always gets left off lists of Switch software when it’s Nintendo’s smash hit new IP this gen.

I honestly have never heard of Ys until I joined ResetERA a few years ago and people started talking about it, and I’ve been on video game forums for a long time. There’s niche and then there’s niche.

I honestly have never heard of Ys until I joined ResetERA a few years ago and people started talking about it, and I’ve been on video game forums for a long time. There’s niche and then there’s niche.
Until 2005, only three Ys games were available in North America: Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished (Master System, MS-DOS, Apple IIGS), Ys I & II (TurboGrafx CD), and Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx CD).

it wasn't until XSeed in the early 2010s did Ys really become a thing in the west. same with Trials

its sad that the series is so unknown falcom and series like ys and dragon slayer basically founded the whole arpg genre back in the early 80s. Its a great series that should be as popular as stuff like persona at least

It will be interesting to see the sales going forward for series that are making the jump to date-to-date Switch releases now. It's hard to grow your series even if it's technically on the Switch when the releases aren't date-to-date. In my eyes 15k for the Switch version is honestly a surprisingly decent start.

YS XI very well could reverse the sales cap, basically. Then again, it won't have the PS4 most likely. Another thing worth mentioning is that there actually was one YS game that did break the cap pretty well - VIII. That game ended up doing 142k, which is very impressive given the previous series high was ~86k. Not really sure what caused such a boost.

The DQ game is a embarrassing low effort product from Square, so hopefully the company learns from this sales (but probably the wrong thing).

Ya marketing was fully concentrated on PS5 instead of multiplatform, wrong choice. Even so Switch version will be probably sell most in the end, because such RPGs have long sales leg on Switch and tend to fall of a cliff after launch on PlayStation.

Relatively low hardware sales for Switch this month, could be finally because of market saturation or because many wait for the Mario Switch.

Anyway many Switch and in particular PS5 hardware goes abroad, even sending PS5 from Japan to Europe is cheaper than buying locally with this cheap Yen.

I like Ys but its production values hold it back from being more mainstream and it’s not worth risking more investment in the hope it takes off. I think it’s fine in it’s little niche.

Back
Top Bottom