• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Facebook announces changing company name to "Meta"

Lmaooo, that's so me-

Why though?
it's a dumb (and inconsequential) move to show their investment in the "metaverse". it's like when google was renamed to alphabet, it doesn't really matter for the services they run (the facebook site will keep its name), and everyone will forget that the name change ever happened after a while.

An accurate name.

Facebook is definitely meta defining when it comes to selling your data to third parties. Tier 0 in fact.

it's like when google was renamed to alphabet
alphabet had the fun and very deliberate bonus of being alphabetically (lol) before apple and amazon

part of the motivation of apple's name was to beat atari in this respect lol

I deleted my Facebook account two weeks ago.

best decision in a while

So...are they now going to sue every company using Meta in any product name?

alphabet had the fun and very deliberate bonus of being alphabetically (lol) before apple and amazon

part of the motivation of apple's name was to beat atari in this respect lol
I love how this was the same ambition held when HAL Laboratory was founded by wanting to be one letter ahead of IBM haha

I love how this was the same ambition held when HAL Laboratory was founded by wanting to be one letter ahead of IBM haha
there are some streaks of apple fandom in nintendo and hal history

iwata was a big fan lol

I first met Iwata-san back in 1996, so it was a time before you would typically see him in a suit. It was at HAL in Kofu. I remember that he always carried around a Mac (PowerBook), which was quite rare in the games industry. I think that formed a bit of connection between us—a feeling that we shared the same interests. It was around the year after that when I saw him with a G3 PowerBook, which even I had hesitated to buy, and I remember thinking, ‘this guy really loves Macs.’

The Metaverse sounds like hell and I hope it fails tbh. But knowing how things go, I'm sure it will be Web 3.0.

Zuckerberg has a Persona 5 Palace. A carnival where people walk around with smartphones for heads but the heads have power cables that extend upward and form a web. Zuck is a spider ringmaster conducting the flea circus. The crowds have giant fleas and ticks leach their blood.

His treasure is a giant golden apple that says "to the fairest" on it.

Same shithole of a company and just shows how megalomaniacal they are with their "metaverse" BS

Maybe I'm just an out of touch old man, but I feel like this whole metaverse thing is doomed to be a massive failure. Unless they've figured out a way to beam VR directly into your brain it'll be wrecked on the same rocks of impracticality that have stopped any other VR ideas breaking into the mainstream.
I do find it funny that he desperately wants this to be Ready Player One, while totally missing the fact that he's the bad guy from that story.

Maybe I'm just an out of touch old man, but I feel like this whole metaverse thing is doomed to be a massive failure. Unless they've figured out a way to beam VR directly into your brain it'll be wrecked on the same rocks of impracticality that have stopped any other VR ideas breaking into the mainstream.
I do find it funny that he desperately wants this to be Ready Player One, while totally missing the fact that he's the bad guy from that story.
It's technology that's been around for decades but hasn't gotten bigger because everyone thinks it's lame lol

Back
Top Bottom