• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Enjoyed Octopath Traveller 2 so much that I played through OT1 immediately afterwards, here’s my thoughts on the series.

PixelKnight

Observing the process
Pronouns
He/Him
I enjoyed Octopath Traveller 2 so much. An easy 10/10 game for me, one of the best RPGs I’ve ever played. I just couldn’t put it down. Even while I played it, I knew that I had the original OT in my backlog of rpgs, but for some reason I hadn’t started it. Usually, after finishing a long rpg, I take a break, play something different and shorter. But OT2 is the first game in ages where I rinsed almost all the stuff to do out of it (apart from a post-game super-boss), and came away thinking ‘what did I miss from the original, what was changed, what was new, as this was amazing’. And so I dove into the first game, which I’ve just put down. Here’s my list of stuff I noticed while it’s fresh in my mind.

General quality of life elements
Several mechanical things really stood out to me straight away when going through OT.
OT2 displays the threat level of areas/dungeons on its map, which makes choosing where to go next easier, but also makes it easier to keep track of when would be a good time to try a dungeon. Some of those in OT I ended up stumbling into at a low level, but only going back when I was hilariously over-levelled, as there was no reminder of when might be a good moment.
Another was that OT2 lists item pickups in the order of most recent first, before you categorise further if looking by type. Which is a huge change when you’ve got 200 items and just want to read the description of a bracelet you picked up, out of the dozens of other accessories with similar names.
Another one is that OT2, when using up the stat-boost consumables, tells you exactly how much your stat went up by. OT1 just says ‘a large amount’ or something similarly vague, if you wanted to know you’d have to check before and after. None of these are big deals but OT2 is so much more elegant with giving the player the info they might want to see at any given time.

Introductory chapters
OT has the main party meet each new traveller just before they head into their first dungeon. Replaying their intro (which you can do immediately or select from the tavern) is only really a matter of reading the conversations and moving around their home town until they get to that point- about 10 minutes play or so.
OT2, however, has each traveler on their own, with scant resources and NPC allies at best. Their stories feel more urgent and desperate for it, their need for strong allies more apparent, as at the time the party meets them, they’ve already been through a really tough time.
Which leads on to my next point- OT has a lot of ‘and so I chose to travel the world’ going on. Sure, a couple of them are more urgent, but most are pretty relaxed in terms of working out why they are adventuring. OT2’s intros are far more urgent in comparison, the stakes much higher.

The Apothecary and the hunter, class balance and consumables
In both OT games, characters have an inate skill that’s exclusive to them. Dancers can call followers into combat, hunters can capture beasts etc. Anyone can take apothecary as a subclass to gain their skill list, but only the two actual apothecary characters, OT’s Alfyn and OT2’s Castii, can ‘concoct’, which is to combine consumables for major healing effects, removing debuffs etc. However, I just didn’t use it as much in OT. This is because OT2 gives them each a ‘latent power’ meter, giving access to a range of unique super abilities beyond the ones granted by jobs. This also ties into the boost points, where you gain one for every turn that you don’t use them. In Castii’s case, her latent power lets her concoct without using ingredients, and every boost point grants an additional effect. Which made it easy for Castii to, say, apply ‘affect whole party’ and ‘heal’ and ‘cure poison’ or whatever. Alfyn has to use consumables to do this, for a far more limited and weaker and less flexible effect. On top of this, the class skill list in OT2 has an axe strike that hits everyone. In OT1 it just hits one target, which all combines to make apothecary feel a really weak job compared to the cleric. Sure, it’s still good in that there’s abilities to use powerful items on everyone at once, which makes Alfyn great for endgame bosses, but for 95% of the game, not so much.

The hunter class in OT1 has you capturing monsters, that have only a small number of uses each, but in OT2 this restriction is removed and you just keep the ones you like, swapping them out as you encounter stronger ones, this meant that, again, I used the class feature a lot more in OT2. In OT1, I almost exclusively used ‘leghold trap’ (make enemies go at the end of the turn), and the skills to fill multiple enemies with arrows.

Advanced jobs
In OT 1, sorcerer and warmaster feel a lot more like just better versions of scholar and warrior respectively. Whereas in OT2 the Armsmaster has a quest where you search out relic weapons to add to your armoury. It’s just a lot more interesting than Warmaster. Starseer from OT though is a fun skillset.

Gaining jobs, shrines, guilds
In OT1, finding the shrine gives you the job as a subclass option. In OT2, entering the shrine with the relevant character gives you a new latent power move for them, while you gain licenses for subclasses from guilds instead. Completing tasks for those guilds gives more licenses, meaning more people can share the subclass.

Mentor characters
In OT1, I noticed that 3/4 the female characters are constantly in the shadow of a powerful father/father figure, with barely any mention of any significant mother figure at all in comparison.
Haanit is looking for her mentor who raised her
Primrose wants to kill the men that killed her father
Tressa gains a veteran ship captain as a mentor (happily her mum and dad still exist in a shop in her home town, it would be cool if they acknowledged her when you visit though).
Ophelia sets out after her adoptive father falls ill.
In contrast, Cyrus, Therion and Olberic all have zero mention of their parents, their quests aren’t related to family/parental figures, and even Alfyn is only really on the trail of an apothecary he remembers from when he was a kid.

OT2 handles this a lot better in terms of avoiding tropes, mainly through Castii taking Oberic’s role as a stoic, steady and experienced leader of people, full of gentle support. Her story is amazing and not wrapped up in well-trod paths, and her relationships with her supporting cast feel very fresh in comparison. In contrast, Hikari’s ‘Prince in exile needs to retake the throne’ treads very familiar fantasy ground. I found it more urgent than Olberic, and the contrast between them really well handled- Hikari is young and counters through speed and skill. Olberic is all strength and resilience in comparison, a rapier compared to a greatsword.
I wasn’t a huge fan of Throne’s story as, like Primrose, some aspects felt a bit voyeuristic to me.

The world
OT2’s map gives you rivers and boats, which makes the world feel so much more alive. OT1’s fields are just crossroads connecting towns and dungeons really, you can’t get lost, whereas OT2 had a lot more of ‘how do I get to that dock over there’ and it being a couple of areas back and needing to go under a bridge or whatever. There’s more verticality with ladders too, more variety in dungeons, and the open sea means the world opens up more gradually. In OT2 I was still finding towns and islands and new areas as a surprise in the late game, whereas in OT1, none of them really were. Both games constantly surprised me in how often there was closure for NPCs, people you’d helped or even opposed earlier. They all have things to do, jobs and families or whatever, that aren’t wrapped up in your travels, and that’s cool.

The sense of the team being a party
Having read some of the criticism of OT1 before playing it, I was expecting there to be very few skits or anything, but I found the travel banter to be OK to sell the illusion for me. OT2 just does it better though. Not only through it’s paired ‘crossed path’ sections, but also because it’s banter sparkles more somehow. Both games have a real sense of warmth though that I really appreciate. Sure, you need to let your imagination cover the gaps to allow the game to have you wander wherever you want in whatever order. But the characters are all worth following as their adventures play out over a series of vignettes. I imagined they are meant to be taken as if each character is telling a story over a drink.

Final boss. Post-game bosses
OT1 doesn’t really have a final story chapter that wraps it all up, instead it has a post-game sidequest that offers a super-boss, before which are 8 mini bosses that all offer a page to read about how all the quests are linked. I didn’t defeat the boss itself, because after two hours of play, with no save points, a random ability from a boss spawn insta-killed my party. At that point, after 65 hours of play, I decided it wasn’t worth my time persevering- I read the things I wanted to read. OT2 does this much better- there’s a final chapter and a final boss that, while still feeling a little rushed, ties it all up with a fantastic epilogue that makes a great point to leave it. There’s a post-game sidequest super-boss again, but I didn’t do that either, although I’m sure both are fun for people who want to spend hours breaking down the fight and reworking the team. For me it’s not why I loved both of the OT games, but it does speak to the depth of the combat system- I’m sure it’s possible to beat these quests at a far lower level than I was when they wiped the floor with me!

I’ll leave it all there for now, just wanted to set it all out while it’s fresh in my mind. Has anyone else played them both? What did you think? Is anyone looking to try one of them?

Last edited:
I loved the first game a lot, easily my favorite of the Asano games I’ve played. Just a really great gamey game where you build up your team and venture deeper and deeper into the world to take on tougher challenges and get cool rewards. The stories ranged in quality a bit, but I think I largely walked away enjoying all of them? Been a while. The combat is excellent and more focused than Bravely Default. Just felt you could do a lot of cool powerful setups without too much fuss.

Octopath Traveler II is at the top of my normal backlog though it might be a good while until I get to it with new games and my deep backlog taking priority at the moment.

I loved the first game a lot, easily my favorite of the Asano games I’ve played. Just a really great gamey game where you build up your team and venture deeper and deeper into the world to take on tougher challenges and get cool rewards. The stories ranged in quality a bit, but I think I largely walked away enjoying all of them? Been a while. The combat is excellent and more focused than Bravely Default. Just felt you could do a lot of cool powerful setups without too much fuss.

Octopath Traveler II is at the top of my normal backlog though it might be a good while until I get to it with new games and my deep backlog taking priority at the moment.
Yeah I’d agree with that. A couple of OTs stories just feel less consequential to me, and so ended with a bit of a ‘is that it?’ in comparison to OT2. Its a perfect example of an iterative sequel polishing almost everything though. I’d say OT set the template but OT2 mastered it.

Yeah I’d agree with that. A couple of OTs stories just feel less consequential to me, and so ended with a bit of a ‘is that it?’ in comparison to OT2. Its a perfect example of an iterative sequel polishing almost everything though. I’d say OT set the template but OT2 mastered it.
Your hype for Octopath 2 has me very excited to play it when the time is right for me :)

This is making me want to play Octopath Traveler II even more now even though I don't really have the space to pick up an RPG right now. It sounds like Octopath II fixed my main complaints with several things, especially the consumable nature of the apothecary and the hunter (where I just didn't use their class abilities much at all in the og Octopath).

This is making me want to play Octopath Traveler II even more now even though I don't really have the space to pick up an RPG right now. It sounds like Octopath II fixed my main complaints with several things, especially the consumable nature of the apothecary and the hunter (where I just didn't use their class abilities much at all in the og Octopath).
Yeah those two are definitely big changes to the class balance- in OT2 you can have Castii concoct with her latent power on a regular basis, it’s a way more flexible and powerful thing that doesn’t cost you resources. Capturing creatures is more interesting when you keep them for as long as you like rather than 4-7 uses too. In that you’re maintaining a rounded stable of creatures rather than worrying about using the strong ones in case you need them later.

It means you can have the hunter use monsters to round out their element options. It makes them so much stronger than thinking ‘I found this cool lightning one but I can only use it 3 times in a 65 hour game, and then I need to find another’. Given that you are also maintaining 8 characters, it’s too much effort to upkeep consumables you need to capture in combat.

The balance changes between 1 and 2 are interesting and a little frustrating to me

They nerfed the everyloving shit out of overhealing, which was busted but also necessary for the secret boss. This nerfed Concoct by proxy, since in OT1, Alfyn with mats to spare was an unkillable god healing everyone to 9999 like it's nothing, while Castti can't do the same.

Scholar's rebalance in 2 is interesting. It got nerfed really hard while the divine skill got buffed both to compensate for that and to make up for Sorcerer getting removed, but ultimately, the class just ends up having to put in more effort to maximize damage than physical classes which is annoying

Cleric's divine skill getting turbo nerfed is also a huge one, but I guess it makes sense considering all the new stuff they added to the combat, but I still miss it. Sorcerer hitting 6X above the damage cap in one turn was beautiful.

My issue with OT2 ultimately is that the characters feel too specialized. Temenos pisses all over any other healer since only he can overheal, Scholar sucks as a damage dealing class unless your name is Osvald because the bulk of its damage output is tied to his latent. Hunter and Apothecary are garbage classes on their own since Castti and Ochette are so reliant on their unique abilities; granted, that's not too different from OT1, but they nerfed Hunter and removed Arrow Rain, so now the whole class is basically just a Leghold Trap bot if you're not Ochette.

I have yet to reach the final boss of OT2 so I'll see how that goes eventually. I'm sure there's some stupid busted set-ups with the secret class since I haven't played around with them yet.

Last edited:
Ended up dropping OT2 once I finished the 8 main stories. The world and characters just didn’t hook me enough to want to finish the crossed paths and final boss, and I felt like I had “completed” the combat, for lack of a better word. I had my builds set how I wanted them, wasn’t much more room for growth there.

Both are great games, no doubt. Enjoyed my time with both quite a bit. I just wish the writing was better. It’s just so dry and bland at times. Wish they followed the Tales route and just overloaded this game with skits to help get me more attached to the characters.

First game was the best JRPG on Switch alongside Xenoblade 2 and Octopath Traveler II is better than both. I still consider the original worth playing, but for newcomers I recommend II directly. Both top tier games despite the second being better. Kind of similar to Xenoblade.

The balance changes between 1 and 2 are interesting and a little frustrating to me

They nerfed the everyloving shit out of overhealing, which was busted but also necessary for the secret boss. This nerfed Concoct by proxy, since in OT1, Alfyn with mats to spare was an unkillable god healing everyone to 9999 like it's nothing, while Castti can't do the same.

Scholar's rebalance in 2 is interesting. It got nerfed really hard while the divine skill got buffed both to compensate for that and to make up for Sorcerer getting removed, but ultimately, the class just ends up having to put in more effort to maximize damage than physical classes which is annoying

Cleric's divine skill getting turbo nerfed is also a huge one, but I guess it makes sense considering all the new stuff they added to the combat, but I still miss it. Sorcerer hitting 6X above the damage cap in one turn was beautiful.

My issue with OT2 ultimately is that the characters feel too specialized. Temenos pisses all over any other healer since only he can overheal, Scholar sucks as a damage dealing class unless your name is Osvald because the bulk of its damage output is tied to his latent. Hunter and Apothecary are garbage classes on their own since Castti and Ochette are so reliant on their unique abilities; granted, that's not too different from OT1, but they nerfed Hunter and removed Arrow Rain, so now the whole class is basically just a Leghold Trap bot if you're not Ochette.

I have yet to reach the final boss of OT2 so I'll see how that goes eventually. I'm sure there's some stupid busted set-ups with the secret class since I haven't played around with them yet.
Yeah fair points. The move to latent talents being the strongest moves over the class final skills changed it far more towards character inate abilities > jobs. But mostly I liked it as being able to have multiples of the stronger classes helped paper over the weaker classes a bit. Not that it addresses the issues you identified- the massive boost to the hunter and apothecary’s inate abilities by not relying on consumables does mean that anyone else using the class feels so much weaker in comparison. Although what the hunter skill list lost in their ‘hit everything with arrows’ move, the apothecary gained in an AoE axe move. Which to be honest perhaps flags up an issue with the series combat in general- that the moves hitting multiple enemies or multiple times are simply more useful most of the time when the combat largely revolves around crashing through shields as quickly as possible. In OT1, I rarely used anything other than leghold trap and arrow storm for the hunter, including the captured monsters. Which is a long way from balanced.

Same goes for almost all the moves that only target one ally- it’s only when combined with the further abilities (rune knight, apothecary) to hand out such things as party-wide abilities that they become a lot more useful. There’s not much use for ‘make an ally more accurate for 3 turns!’ unless you have absolutely nothing to do that can either break shields, inflict huge damage once broken, debuff the boss or heal the party. Even then, if those aren’t an option, there’s always better options in the item pool as you’ve got three things to repair on characters in OT1 and four in OT2 (with the latent power meter). I usually threw an elemental stone or repaired SP/BP instead at that point. In boss fights you’re always looking to break the enemy as quickly as possible and have everyone with enough BP/SP to inflict maximum damage. In regular fights they are over in a couple of turns so buffs and debuffs don’t really come into it.

Also, just as a QOl element, in OT1 I felt like I was reworking everyone’s jobs whenever I changed who was in the party, which was a pain to reset jobs and the equipment every time just because I always wanted a cleric and a sorcerer/scholar. But in OT2 it’s less necessary as it’s fairly easy to get at least two of the base classes.

Last edited:
Ended up dropping OT2 once I finished the 8 main stories. The world and characters just didn’t hook me enough to want to finish the crossed paths and final boss
You're missing out. The story endgame content is super short yet meaningful. It's like reading a mystery novel and stopping right before the big reveal.

Ok but what about all the frustrating things about Octopath 1
It felt like the game would not let me play in the order I wanted
I couldn’t for example play through one character’s chapters in order … which resulted in being forced to play story beats I didn’t really care for… and ignoring the ones I was actually interested in.

So I ended up playing all chapter ones and twos of everyone and then chapter 3 of one person … but chapter 3 was such a huge jump in difficulty it resulted in a road block.

The other thing that really bugged me was that the level of areas would increase!
So where there was let’s say an area that suggested you were level 15 … so I would do some other thing until then but by then it was level 20… it’s like they were afraid that you might accidentally enjoy yourself by leveling up and overcoming challenges.

Ultimately I just stopped playing as it felt like the game was asking too much.

I really loved the game besides those points … the stories the characters and art and battle system are super enjoyable.
I own OT2 but I haven’t opened it because I don’t know if these issues are still there.

Back
Top Bottom