• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News EGGCONSOLE RELICS PC-8801 just stealth dropped on Nintendo U.S E-shop

I'm so excited! Give me as much Project EGG as possible, please! If they go by the order on this page, then we're only two games away from Xanadu! I've been playing Revival Xanadu II Remix lately and it's a bop and a half. You all need to play Xanadu when it comes to Switch. It's really difficult but really fun and a major part of Japanese PC gaming history.

Oh for the LOVE OF...

Success Corp does this too for half of their Switch games (thank god Shepherd's Crossing made it over).

Why folks do this to us I'll never know. :/
Genuinely: who can I email (in English) about this? Not Nintendo, they‘re not responsible.

I'm so excited! Give me as much Project EGG as possible, please! If they go by the order on this page, then we're only two games away from Xanadu! I've been playing Revival Xanadu II Remix lately and it's a bop and a half. You all need to play Xanadu when it comes to Switch. It's really difficult but really fun and a major part of Japanese PC gaming history.

Based on this page, are we expecting that whole list at some point? So that would be Relics, Tegzer, Xanadu, Sylpheed, Ys, Argo, Let's Go by Train A, Harry Focus, Amber Testament, Laplace's Demon, Reglas, Fairy Tale Veil, and Hydride.

I'm not familiar with Project EGG. More context would be great!

Based on this page, are we expecting that whole list at some point? So that would be Relics, Tegzer, Xanadu, Sylpheed, Ys, Argo, Let's Go by Train A, Harry Focus, Amber Testament, Laplace's Demon, Reglas, Fairy Tale Veil, and Hydride.

Project EGG is like Steam, but for old Japanese PC games (and some console games as well, but those also tend to be games originally created by Japanese PC developers). Putting "Project" in the name probably brings up other thoughts about what it could be, like some sort of big, grand gaming project done by a group of enthusiasts banding together, but it's a storefront that's been around for a long time now. Anyway, back in March they announced that they would be releasing some games on Switch, and then silence until today (where there was still silence and I wouldn't have known about this release without this topic). There was probably more news on the Japanese side of the internet, but nothing for us. So this topic was a very happy surprise to see today.

As for that list, I would assume all of those games will come to Switch. Project EGG sells over 1,000 games, so it would seem strange to list those games specifically and not bring them to Switch. It's not like they only had a few games to pick from.

So yeah, it's pretty exciting because it makes it really easy to access a bit of Japanese PC gaming history, and there are some great games on that list.

To round up it's:
  • Relics (1985) Bothtec
  • Thexder (1985) Game Arts
  • Dragon Slayer II: Xanadu (1985) Nihon Falcom
  • Silpheed: Super Dogfighter (1986) Game Arts
  • Ancient Ys Vanished (1987) Nihon Falcom
  • Argo (1986) Kure Software Koubou
  • A-Ressha de Ikou (1985) ArtDink
  • Hurry Fox: Yuki no Maou-hen (1984) Microcabin
  • Kohakuiro no Yuigon (1988) Riverhillsoft
  • Laplace no Ma (1987) Hummingbird Soft
  • Riglas (1986) Random House
  • Marchen Veil I (1985) System Sacom
  • Hydlide (1984) T&E Soft

All games appear to be PC-8801 based but all these games have ports to multiple other computers and also some consoles. It'll be interesting to see if D4E is planning to put out different versions of each game too later on.

D4E also confirmed additional platforms before (PC-9801, X68000, MSX family) and even some differing games (Golvelius, A.E.). Really can't wait for the MSX stuff in particular.

I have emailed the company responsible with what little Japanese I know about a Canadian release. Fingers crossed.

Pretty confident it skipped canada because your region mandates french descriptions on its eshop for whatever reason

This seems to be strictly in EN so i’m guessing it wont come out there until they translate it into french (did you guys ever get the valken port btw, that’s also a game that french blocked from release)

Pretty confident it skipped canada because your region mandates french descriptions on its eshop for whatever reason

This seems to be strictly in EN so i’m guessing it wont come out there until they translate it into french (did you guys ever get the valken port btw, that’s also a game that french blocked from release)
We did get it but it was a bit delayed, by about a month. I know French! I’ll translate that text for them for free.

The Assault Suits situation was thankfully fixed because Canadians informed the publisher that English-only games are allowed in Canada and super common on the eShop. That Quebec law only applies to things where a French language version already exists in other countries. I wish Nintendo would inform publishers of this. It's not like we can just buy a physical version with digital releases like this.

This situation with D4E is frustrating. Their contact section of their website doesn't even work for me. It keeps saying I haven't filled out every section when I have.

Thexder will be available on the Japanese eshop tomorrow. For Relics, it took two weeks for its (very limited) western release after it came out in Japan.

This was the second game on the list, so it does appear that they are going in order. Meaning next we can expect to have Xanadu on the Switch!!!!!! 🥳

Last edited:
unlike relics the SKU is shared between US/JP now, so it seems future Egg Console games will be in both EN/JP. Coolio.
I AM GOING TO BECOME THE CANADIAN JOKER

GIMME DA PC-8801 GAMES EGG

the french description deal is once again why (it also appears to be MIA from Mexico due to no Spanish, either)

seems like a cringe rule on NOC's end, ngl but i guess this is semi payback for you guys having ACA jail break while me in Iowa cannot buy it for some stupid reason :mad: why they don't just geoblock it from quebec until the store page is french'd and let the english canada regions have it is beyond me

HOT UPDATE FOR ANYONE WHO CARES

XANADU IS ON THE CANADIAN ESHOP

the next two EGGCONSOLE releases, Silpheed and Hydlide also both have entries

Thexder and Relics remain MIA

(so I suppose this is the official thread for the EGGCONSOLE line)

I'm playing Relics.
It's kind of a cinematic side-scrolling adventure which happen to use the language of side-scrolling action typical of action/platform (even if the control scheme is atypical) to let the player learn the logic and the happenings of a strange alien world.
Reminds me of Another World though Eric Chahi's masterpiece was executed much better and was technically more ambitious.
Also it featured a certain characteristic of the game flow which was made famous by Undertale...

Of the future releases in the EGGCONSOLE line I think I'll skip Thexder (looks uninteresting to me) and will grab Silpheed (impressive polygonal graphics for the platform it was released on) and Hydlide (grandaddy of action RPGs in Japan).
Maybe Xanadu too but I'm a bit put off by the game (in)famous difficulty.

For those who played/are playing the games in the EGGCONSOLE line what's your opinion?
What are the titles you are looking forward the most?

Back
Top Bottom