• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews EDGE Magazine #396 review scores - Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Unicorn Overlord, Penny's Big Breakaway, Splatoon 3: Side Order, Foamstars, and more

mazi

picross pundit
7KnUvTU.jpeg

Reviews:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - 9
Unicorn Overlord - 9
Helldivers 2 - 8
Skull and Bones - 5
Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story - no score
Penny's Big Breakaway - 5
Foamstars - 3
Splatoon 3: Side Order - 7
Inkulinati - 8
Lysfanga: The Time Shift Warrior - 5

Cover - Citizen Sleeper 2
Hype - No Rest for the Wicked, Pony Island 2: Panda Circus, Arranger: A Role-Puzzling Adventure, Cataclismo, Cryptmaster, Animal Well
Hype Roundup - Little Devil Inside, Creatures of Ava, Endless Ocean Luminous, Disney Epic Mickey: Rebrushed, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Rumble
Studio Profile - Akupara Games
The Making of - Final Fantasy XVI
Time Extend - The Talos Principle
The Long Game - Hitman 3

Last edited:
In for a positive thread about Rebirth.

That Foamstars score is a yikes! I forgot it came out, to be honest.

What does it mean that Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story didn't get a score? I don't pay close attention to EDGE scores, but I don't recall seeing that before. Penny's Big Breakaway seems like an outlier from how people talk about it.

What does it mean that Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story didn't get a score? I don't pay close attention to EDGE scores, but I don't recall seeing that before.
looks like they don't score retro game collections. the atari 50th anniversary collection didn't get a score either.

Two 9s and two 8s in one issue is pretty strong for Edge. I’d never even heard of Inkulinati before!

Man the turn around on foamstars has been rough, people who played it before launch thought it was pretty good. I guess it didn't have the staying power/too repetitive. That's a shame.

While we heard some good things from journalists/people playing it at Gamescom and other preview events, the general audience's response to SE marketing of the game pre-launch was much more muted.
The skin prices for the game did not ingratiate itself very much with prospective players either.
It's even worse when you compared the pricing of certain things and what you got out of them in contrast with Helldivers 2.

It's kind of crazy that people were worried about Helldivers since it was coming out the same day as Foamstars, since it's free on PS+.

Helldivers liberated the PS ecosystem from Square Enix, clearly. Helldivers actually came out on the Feb 8 and Foamstars was Feb 6
But yeah, it sucked all the air out of the room.

I'm guessing the mechanics didn't click with the player for Penny's Big Breakaway. It is what it is!

Honestly Penny's Big Breakaway can be a frustrating experience depending on some of the glitches you encounter during your playthrough like the yo yo roll not behaving correctly during crucial moments such as boss fights.

There is one egregious issue I had where you're supposed to ride on the water with it but then during the third phase of the boss it just wouldn't work sometimes and you'd fall in the water and lose some hp, very annoying.

The bosses in general are kind of a miserable experience, usually one phase too long.

Alongside the fixed camera which doesn't make it easy to gauge distances for precise platforming I could see it why it'd be rated as low as 5/10 (personally the game is a 7 or 8 out of 10 because I really clicked with the mechanics despite some of rough edges).

I'm not into the Vanillaware art style at all, but those scores Unicorn Overlord keeps getting are pushing me towards buying the game. Just to be safe, I'll wait for a sale.

Huh I'm kinda surprised at that score for Unicorn Overlord. Not that I disagree with it at all but kinda expected the Edge score to be lower

Man the turn around on foamstars has been rough, people who played it before launch thought it was pretty good. I guess it didn't have the staying power/too repetitive. That's a shame.
The vibe I always got from Foamstars was that the positive previews were hard-carried by the "it's summer and I'm at a fun event with friends I haven't seen in a long time, so I'm predisposed towards enjoying anything you put in front of me" effect

The SGF previews from games media were along the lines of "I played it for ~15 minutes at event and it was an unexpectedly fun time" and the word-of-mouth got progressively worse as people got to spend some real time with it in more "this is how you'd actually be playing the game in your day to day life" contexts

Foamster score is rough, and Helldivers wouldn't have surprised me with a 9 from the good things I've heard about its design.

The only game I played - Side Order - is rated fairly at a 7.

But the one I'm most curious to read the review for is Unicorn Overlord, because other people's impression of the end-game fed my worries that some of the desig decisions would run into problems once army size and individual units as well as battle maps were fully maxed out.

Honestly surprised to see them give Rebirth a score that high. Not that I disagree - I gave the game that myself - but I figured that the fairly 'checklisty' open world structure might at least drop it down to an 8 or so for them. Given how much EDGE tends to value originality and such.

Still, game deserves it so I ain't complaining lol

Foamstars wasn't thattttt bad but I had a really hard time parsing anything that was going on screen honestly as someone who can't stand cluttered experiences on a TV, the game also didn't need to make it so that two people on the same team can't play the same character as it got really annoying not being able to use the weapon you wanted like in Splatoon, the meta seems bad for higher as well. Overall it just felt cheap, like a game that no one should be playing.

Penny getting the same score as Skull and Bones is real funny. I can understand the low score though, before the patches there was a ton of collision issues and some weird movement quirks.

Unicorn is deserved. Surprised me how much I am enjoying it. Very well done tactics game, that requires you to engage with all of its systems, at least on the highest difficulty. For me personally, the game is in my top 3 tactics games of all time. My only negative is the story is very basic and there is no incentive/consequence to not try to recruit every recruitable character even if said character's past is kinda shady/unethical.

But the one I'm most curious to read the review for is Unicorn Overlord, because other people's impression of the end-game fed my worries that some of the desig decisions would run into problems once army size and individual units as well as battle maps were fully maxed out.

What are the issues?

Unicorn is deserved. Surprised me how much I am enjoying it. Very well done tactics game, that requires you to engage with all of its systems, at least on the highest difficulty. For me personally, the game is in my top 3 tactics games of all time. My only negative is the story is very basic and there is no incentive/consequence to not try to recruit every recruitable character even if said character's past is kinda shady/unethical.

What are the issues?

Fundamentally how hard it is to balance a combat system with as much variation as Unicorn Overlord has to account for. There will be players who don't put much more thought into building armies than putting their favorite characters together, players who tinker with gambits to craft perfectly automized killing machines, players who reshuffle units and items and commands every engagement, players who do all that but are even more depraved in only exploiting the most game-breaking combinations, and every player in between. From all I've read so far it sounds like Unicorn Overlord errs on the side of asking too little even on the most challenging setting - although your testimony is a hopeful exception - where the time limit is the most common cause of failure, which also is like my least favorite mechanic in the genre.

I'm surprised at the UO score. I'm enjoying the game but it feels like something Edge would give a 7 to

Fundamentally.....
There will be players who don't put much more thought into building armies than putting their favorite characters together

I am only halfway through the game but unless the player is heavy grinding, I think the game will be very challenging on the hardest difficulty with that methodology. I don't really grind in most RPGs unless I absolutely have to, so I don't know its impacts in this game.

There will be players who don't put much more thought into building armies than putting their favorite characters together, players who tinker with gambits to craft perfectly automized killing machines, players who reshuffle units and items and commands every engagement, players who do all that but are even more depraved in only exploiting the most game-breaking combinations, and every player in between.

I feel that, but from my experience with most Tactics game, outside of something like Maddening in SOME Fire Emblem games, if you push the game to its limits with theory-crafting, its going to be an easy time in any Tactics game. Idk, it it gets easier in UO later, but where I am at I can say, yeah, its easier than FE Maddening but also just as challenging as Engage/Conquest on Hard with really good squads. But that's just my opinion, everyone has diff opinions on difficulty.

where the time limit is the most common cause of failure, which also is like my least favorite mechanic in the genre.

I HATE time limits. I stopped playing Wargroove very early because of rewards tied to how quickly you play. In UO, I would say that its largely a non-issue. IMO, you can beat most maps before the time hits the 30% mark. If its taking longer than that, you are either extreme turtling, taking inefficient approaches on the map, and/or have inefficient unit setups. I only ran out of time early game when I was still learning. Even when you do run out of time, there is a item that you can get a decent amount of (albeit finite) that can reset your clock if you run out. Admittedly, the existence of that item can make the game easier imo as it is REALLY hard to run out of time if you are actually playing well.

OT: I would actually love if Fire Emblem or other Tactics games used an Overworld system like UO. Its something that I found very refreshing and am really enjoying, espeically after dealing with FE Engage's somewhat lackluster hub.

Man I really want to play UO, but I already have so many RPG’s sitting in my backlog that I want to go back to. Thank god for this lighter year tbh.

I am only halfway through the game but unless the player is heavy grinding, I think the game will be very challenging on the hardest difficulty with that methodology. I don't really grind in most RPGs unless I absolutely have to, so I don't know its impacts in this game.

I feel that, but from my experience with most Tactics game, outside of something like Maddening in SOME Fire Emblem games, if you push the game to its limits with theory-crafting, its going to be an easy time in any Tactics game. Idk, it it gets easier in UO later, but where I am at I can say, yeah, its easier than FE Maddening but also just as challenging as Engage/Conquest on Hard with really good squads. But that's just my opinion, everyone has diff opinions on difficulty.

I HATE time limits. I stopped playing Wargroove very early because of rewards tied to how quickly you play. In UO, I would say that its largely a non-issue. IMO, you can beat most maps before the time hits the 30% mark. If its taking longer than that, you are either extreme turtling, taking inefficient approaches on the map, and/or have inefficient unit setups. I only ran out of time early game when I was still learning. Even when you do run out of time, there is a item that you can get a decent amount of (albeit finite) that can reset your clock if you run out. Admittedly, the existence of that item can make the game easier imo as it is REALLY hard to run out of time if you are actually playing well.

OT: I would actually love if Fire Emblem or other Tactics games used an Overworld system like UO. Its something that I found very refreshing and am really enjoying, espeically after dealing with FE Engage's somewhat lackluster hub.
I love UO’s overworld, visiting all the settlements. They give it a sense of place, that each country has a dozen or so major towns. I like the arena and mining too. And making deliveries at ports to open up sailing to new areas. And with the fast travel it’s easy to get around and slowly go back and chip away at stuff. I enjoy UO’s non-major-battle stuff more than any FE in a long time, mostly as all the hub stuff of Engage, TH and Fates I found largely tiring and tedious. Having said that I rarely care much for the ‘relationships’ side of these games and that all of UO’s optional side content is focused on making the army stronger and liberating more areas just appeals to me more.

The way you set your units up is just endlessly fascinating for me too, and then randomly getting new skills keeps old stalwart characters interesting too even as flashier classes arrive. I’ve had units that are basically the ‘unit of Theseus’ where all the original members have gradually been swapped out as I tinkered with its setup. Usually after every time it gets in a fight it loses that I can’t avoid, I watch the battle just to see where the team is failing and then address accordingly.

Last edited:

from the penny's big breakaway review:
It is an exasperating game because there are fleeting moments when everything coalesces beautifully (if that’s the right word for a game with such a garish colour palette and deeply unappealing character design).When controls, camera, level furniture and enemies are all behaving themselves and you’re able to keep that momentum going, you get a glimpse of what this could have been. Such moments do arrive more frequently as you adjust to its many foibles – indeed, the line between failure and success at times is so slender that a couple of patches may yet salvage it. But even bearing in mind the small size of the team that made it, those inconsistencies are hard to forgive. In depicting a bold move that goes dreadfully awry, that opening cinematic proves unfortunately prescient.

What did they say about Little Devil Inside? Was it just a mention that the devs posted to come it’s not dead?
it's a short write up
Nine years since its successful Kickstarter campaign, having steamed past two release dates mooted during Sony presentations in 2021 and 2022, Neostream’s eccentric adventure has resurfaced. A six-minute video, enigmatically titled ‘Despite all’, has been released via YouTube, alongside an apologetic message from the studio that confirms a shift to Unreal Engine 5 and a downsizing of the team making it, with "many great people" having departed along the way. It seems things have settled down, and the studio is engaged in discussions with potential publishers – good news, since the footage proves it’s still a fascinating prospect.

Read the excerpt on Penny's Big Breakaway and it almost seems... wrong. 5 seems like a middle of the road - even an Edge 5, which uses the whole scale, should be considered that - and I'd say the game is anything but. I can confidently say, however, this is a game you either dig (I'm not going to say "get") or don't, and if you do dig it seems like a very good time despite its missteps, but if you don't it really just seems middle of the road, almost mundane and like something's not right - so I can only guess that's how the reviewer felt.

Feel like it's a real shame, though. I'll be biased because I'm loving the game and it just seems so out there that a game so unique which really doesn't play like many others can be a joy to play for some and do nothing for others. I'll vouch it'll be this generations' NiGHTS, which can be either a joy or a "is that it?" depending on how you play it, and honestly, who you are.

I don't think - for some reason - this is a game that's just going to disappear outright, however. For a game that's been released for a bit over a month and definitely not being a million seller, I like how it - somehow - keeps getting back to being discussed even if very subtly, and its diverse reception makes people coming back at it. I just think we'll still talk about it a little more rather than just forgetting it. (I'm still hurt that Sayonara Wild Hearts isn't as lauded as it should be, dammit.)

Back
Top Bottom