• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News EA Sports College Football 25 coming July 19th to PS5 and Xbox Series S/X, New Dynasty Deep Dive

Hype is lowering. What the heck are college football points? No PC version. I was ready to fully be bought in, but now I need to see more of the game before I can really get excited again.

No PC = pain

Ultimate team or whatever equivalent was honestly all but guaranteed imo. I think the last one that came out in 2013 also had some sort of microtransaction mode

Deciding to wait a day for the full reveal was… a choice. The cynic in me thinks they’re trying to grab a ton of pre-orders before showing a really poor product tomorrow, but I’ll remain cautiously optimistic until I don’t have a reason to be

Cover athletes from each school:

Michigan - 4
Ohio State - 0

Go Blue! National champs!!!

Alright, the Trailer passes the eye test at least, game looks great and it looks like they are going hard on the team specific rituals and whatnot, which is encouraging. Hopefully this is extended to all teams, not just the top 10 markets or so. Cautiously more optimistic now, but will still need to know more about Dynasty mode and what else is new.

Good Article from ESPN giving some behind the scenes

I recommend reading the whole thing as it’s a really fascinating article with actual game development tidbits, but below are some of the notes that stuck out to me:
"Every school is somebody's favorite school," Holt said. "Became kind of a rallying cry for us as a dev team."

With the team largely built, they needed to figure out how to make a game centered around authenticity. That meant everything: stadiums, rosters, mascots and crowds.

The team created a pageantry database, which became a rolling list of traditions and idiosyncrasies for all 134 FBS programs. They asked schools for help, added what they knew from their own college football fandoms and even scoured fan forums to find things they may have missed -- or to learn that a school no longer did tradition X or hand signal Y.

Production director Christian McLeod said every school had to have something. Not every tradition or chant or hand signal ended up in this year's game, but they wanted something for everyone.

While part of the team built out stadiums and mascots, another focused on game play with the same intent as everyone else -- College Football would not look or play like Madden

I’m still cautiously optimistic, but there seems to be a lot of pride in making this different than Madden and delivering a genuine college football experience

Ugh, I can already feel that I am talking myself into getting either a PS5 or Series X for this game. Every generation there’s always one game that gets me to crack on getting my non-Nintendo platform. Mass Effect, then Monster Hunter World, now this.

Previews
curiously, the game does seem to be using RTGI for the stadium. that would explain the current gen only approach

I'm guessing they'll do a series of these videos and blog posts to show more features and modes (dynasty, RTG, Ultimate team, etc.), but what they've already shown is selling me. Granted that wasn't going to take too much though lol.

Now I have to decide what system I'll buy for this. Between either a Series S (cost, overlap with Gamepass subscription), or PS5 (ability to play other exclusives, potentially join friends for online dynasty). Series X doesn't seem worth it for me in this case when I already have a decent PC

Hot Take Prediction - EA College Football is going to sell a ton.Will almost certainly rank as a top 10 best-seller of the year.(This is not a hot take. But it is a prediction I guess.)

I think a lot of people are sleeping on how big this game is going to be. I wouldn’t be surprised if it outsells Madden.

are they really? surely not. maybe the years away has made them forget how big college football has been
It's probably partly my Nintendo heavy bubble, but even on IB or twitter I don't see too much buzz yet, but casually I think it's going to be huge. I think it's going to move next gen consoles.

I would assume college football athletes will post about it when it comes out. Hell even the schools may. The word of mouth, especially if it's good, could be such a boon.

I would assume college football athletes will post about it when it comes out. Hell even the schools may. The word of mouth, especially if it's good, could be such a boon.
The schools definitely already are.

probably a "gamer bubble" thing. gamer circles don't talk about it, but Circana comes out and, "oops multimillion seller!". not something we haven't seen before

ocAMrDI.png

Nice seeing some Purdue rep with the big drum, Boilermaker Special, and Purdue Pete.

Edit: you absolutely love to see it.

Last edited:

Nice seeing some Purdue rep with the big drum, Boilermaker Special, and Purdue Pete.

I was just thinking while watching this why madden doesn't get this much love but then I realized how boring the nfl actually is from an atmospheric perspective. Nothing like college football. EA couldn't do this with Madden because nfl teams just don't do this kind of stuff haha.

I'm wondering if I bite the bullet and get it day one, or choose the clearly rationale approach of waiting for it to inevitably go on sale in a month or two...

I'm wondering if I bite the bullet and get it day one, or choose the clearly rationale approach of waiting for it to inevitably go on sale in a month or two...
I would be surprised if it goes down much while the college football season is still going, this is probably going to be a strong seller that will receive a lot of marketing during the season. Heck, the schools themselves are pretty actively involved in its promotion.

I was just thinking while watching this why madden doesn't get this much love but then I realized how boring the nfl actually is from an atmospheric perspective. Nothing like college football. EA couldn't do this with Madden because nfl teams just don't do this kind of stuff haha.
The NFL didn't earn the No Fun League nickname for no reason.

1. Georgia - 95 OVR
  2. Ohio State - 93 OVR
  3. Oregon - 93 OVR
  4. Alabama - 92 OVR
  5. Texas - 92 OVR
  6. Clemson - 90 OVR
  7. Notre Dame - 90 OVR
  8. LSU - 90 OVR
  9. Penn State - 88 OVR
  10. Utah - 88 OVR
  11. Michigan - 88 OVR
  12. Florida State - 88 OVR
  13. Miami - 88 OVR
  14. Texas A&M - 88 OVR
  15. Ole Miss - 88 OVR
  16. Colorado - 87 OVR
  17. Oklahoma - 87 OVR
  18. Wisconsin - 87 OVR
  19. USC - 87 OVR
  20. Virginia Tech - 87 OVR
  21. NC State - 87 OVR
  22. Kansas - 87 OVR
  23. Arizona - 87 OVR
  24. Oklahoma State - 87 OVR
  25. Iowa - 87 OVR

I would be surprised if it goes down much while the college football season is still going, this is probably going to be a strong seller that will receive a lot of marketing during the season. Heck, the schools themselves are pretty actively involved in its promotion.
That's why I figured it would go on sale. "Hey, it's September and everyone is hyped for the new season. Buy the game now for $50!"

Madden gets away with it every year.

1. Georgia - 95 OVR
  2. Ohio State - 93 OVR
  3. Oregon - 93 OVR
  4. Alabama - 92 OVR
  5. Texas - 92 OVR
  6. Clemson - 90 OVR
  7. Notre Dame - 90 OVR
  8. LSU - 90 OVR
  9. Penn State - 88 OVR
  10. Utah - 88 OVR
  11. Michigan - 88 OVR
  13. Miami - 88 OVR
  14. Texas A&M - 88 OVR
  15. Ole Miss - 88 OVR
  16. Colorado - 87 OVR
  17. Oklahoma - 87 OVR
  18. Wisconsin - 87 OVR
  19. USC - 87 OVR
  21. NC State - 87 OVR
  22. Kansas - 87 OVR
  23. Arizona - 87 OVR
  25. Iowa - 87 OVR

Been seeing all kinds of opiions on the overalls this year. I'm just glad to be an alumn of the top 1 overall. We bleed red and black.

1. Georgia - 95 OVR
  2. Ohio State - 93 OVR
  3. Oregon - 93 OVR
  4. Alabama - 92 OVR
  5. Texas - 92 OVR
  6. Clemson - 90 OVR
  7. Notre Dame - 90 OVR
  8. LSU - 90 OVR
  9. Penn State - 88 OVR
  10. Utah - 88 OVR
  11. Michigan - 88 OVR
  13. Miami - 88 OVR
  14. Texas A&M - 88 OVR
  15. Ole Miss - 88 OVR
  16. Colorado - 87 OVR
  17. Oklahoma - 87 OVR
  18. Wisconsin - 87 OVR
  19. USC - 87 OVR
  21. NC State - 87 OVR
  22. Kansas - 87 OVR
  23. Arizona - 87 OVR
  25. Iowa - 87 OVR

Even when Washington makes it to the title game, the Huskies get no respect.

The Rodney Dangerfield of college football.

Even when Washington makes it to the title game, the Huskies get no respect.

The Rodney Dangerfield of college football.
TBF, last year's team was heavy with seniors and their head coach left for Alabama so the transfer portal killed them. That program is taking a step back this season.

TBF, last year's team was heavy with seniors and their head coach left for Alabama so the transfer portal killed them. That program is taking a step back this season.
That is true, but look at where Colorado is in that ranking after going 4-8 last year. I don't see them dramatically improving. 😂

I’m getting more hyped for this game and the next football season in general. I’ve been watching a lot of season predictions and dynasty rebuilds, and there’s sadly a dearth of Purdue related content for the latter. Perhaps when the game releases, I should become the change I want to see in the world…

Can someone please tldr explain to me why College Football is so popular (for an "old" Europe citizen) and why you should be excited to pay for a full game for that instead of having it as an extra mode in Madden (like female soccer in FIFA). Especially why you should be excited, considering the bad state Madden is since years (ok, only have here Angry Joe as source)?
Also the graphics looks quite bad to me, would be fine for Switch, but for PS5/XSX?

Can someone please tldr explain to me why College Football is so popular (for an "old" Europe citizen) and why you should be excited to pay for a full game for that instead of having it as an extra mode in Madden (like female soccer in FIFA). Especially why you should be excited, considering the bad state Madden is since years (ok, only have here Angry Joe as source)?
Also the graphics looks quite bad to me, would be fine for Switch, but for PS5/XSX?

Are you asking why actual college football is popular or why the game College Football is popular? As for the actual sport, it's popular because A) it's football, the most popular sport in the US and B) because a lot people in the US attend college so they are fans of their college. Also not every state or city has a professional NFL team but their are dozens and dozens of colleges and universities. So in many instances, the college teams become the major teams of those areas. Some regions of the US are very hardcore about football as well to the point where high school games are televised.

As for the game, the NCAA football games back in the day were pretty popular and people are excited to see the series return. For the same reasons mentioned above, the game will allow people to play as the teams from their universities so that's a big appeal as well.

To begin with, College Football is a fairly different beast from the NFL. There are differences in rules, play calling, traditions, etc. Most significantly however is the sheer scope of college football. The NFL has 32 teams. Division one FBS college football has 134 teams, and that's not getting into smaller schools in Division 2 or 3 that are not going to be part of the upcoming video game.

So from that perspective, you wouldn't be able to have it be a side mode in Madden for a number of logistical reasons, even ignoring that each school needs to license its usage for the game. Each of those 134 schools has its own stadium, uniforms, potentially mascots, schedules to simulate, recruiting competitions, crowd traditions and animations, etc., to capture, and the latter is especially significant because college football tends to be far more steeped in ritual and traditions than the NFL. So it absolutely would not make sense as a side mode when it is approximately 4x the size even at a base level.

For the Madden comparisons gameplay-wise, the development teams are not the same. and a lot of emphasis has actually been placed on differentiating it from Madden. The college teams across the board have less parity between them than NFL teams do, so you have a lot more David vs Goliath storylines.

From my own fan's perspective, College Football is simply way more enjoyable to follow for me than the NFL. I graduated from Purdue University and have a strong affiliation with that school. Despite being my "home" NFL franchise, I only casually follow the Indianapolis Colts, and have not once been excited to pick up a Madden title because I simply am not as interested. NFL rivalries tend to be based on recent match ups and aren't especially deep or lasting, whereas college rivalries are intense, usually have traveling trophies, and are often more than a century old. There's also a layer of spectacle and pageantry in college football games that just isn't there in the NFL, things like marching bands and half time shows. For example, here is Purdue's Marching Band pregame show:

Graphically, well it's been 11 years since the last one, so it looking even like a Switch game would be fine with me (Heck, I wish it did more resemble a Switch game and were on the system so that I didn't have to actually buy a new console).

Are you asking why actual college football is popular or why the game College Football is popular? As for the actual sport, it's popular because A) it's football, the most popular sport in the US and B) because a lot people in the US attend college so they are fans of their college. Also not every state or city has a professional NFL team but their are dozens and dozens of colleges and universities. So in many instances, the college teams become the major teams of those areas. Some regions of the US are very hardcore about football as well to the point where high school games are televised.

To begin with, College Football is a fairly different beast from the NFL. There are differences in rules, play calling, traditions, etc. Most significantly however is the sheer scope of college football. The NFL has 32 teams. Division one FBS college football has 134 teams, and that's not getting into smaller schools in Division 2 or 3 that are not going to be part of the upcoming video game.
Thank you for the information, College Football was totally unknown to me - except that it exist.

Dynasty Mode Deep Dive New

Yep, that’s Dynasty Mode alright. Trying to decide if I want to start as a small time coach and work my way into being where I want to end up, or if I want to say screw it and just turn my school into a powerhouse from the start.

Edit: A lot more info in the text release

Last edited:
Recruiting looks pretty similar to Football Coach: College Dynasty but maybe more robust which is a surprise. Seems to be more factors involved to recruiting so may make recruiting each player feel less samey.

Recruiting to me is like half the fun of these kind of games. I love getting into the numbers and stuff to recruit the right players.

This started as a joke in my head, but the idea is just growing now to the point I might need to expand on it in a longer form.

Anyway, short version:

Like Fire Emblem?
Then you will love EA Sports College Football 25!

• Three houses? Try 134!
  • Nurture relationships with your student athletes as you seek to strengthen your team!
  • Build a coalition by recruiting and even convincing rival players to join your cause!
  • Conquer a divided world and let your ideology reign supreme!
  • Take your troops into battle in turn based skirmishes against mighty opponents!
  • Take care of your players, lest an unfortunate blow remove them from the field for good (of course, you can always reset…)!

Back
Top Bottom