• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion EA Motive join the trenches of Battlefield development

aus89

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
The developers behind last year's Dead Space remake are "evolving their studio" joining teams at Criterion, DICE and Ripple Effect in the Battlefield development trenches led by the directors of the Dead Space remake.

In a blogpost, general manager Patrick Klaus said:

"The directors who delivered our Dead Space remake in 2023, Philippe Ducharme (Executive Producer) and Roman Campos-Oriola (Creative Director), will build a team at Motive to work alongside the Battlefield studios around the world creating what's next for Battlefield– a universe across both multiplayer and single-player experiences. Their proven expertise in storytelling, immersive battles and developing on the Frostbite engine uniquely positions them to help advance the vision for Battlefield, led by Vince Zampella (EVP, Group GM of Respawn and Battlefield) and Byron Beede (SVP, GM Battlefield).

In parallel, development continues to move forward on our Iron Man project, led by Olivier Proulx (Executive Producer) and Ian Frazier (Creative Director). The team made excellent progress this year, hitting a major internal milestone and laying a robust foundation for the journey ahead. Iron Man is an important priority for Motive, and I'm very proud of the work we've accomplished so far."

Hope noone wanted anymore Dead Space anytime soon.

Battlefield and Call Of Duty, the two developer black holes of the gaming industry. Everyone eventually works on one if they're under the EA or Activision umbrella.

It's stunning to me how the first person shooter craze came and went yet somehow it manages to gobble up more and more resources every year.

Battlefield and Call Of Duty, the two developer black holes of the gaming industry. Everyone eventually works on one if they're under the EA or Activision umbrella.
not that different from other studios. lots of them are falling back to their bread and butter

It's stunning to me how the first person shooter craze came and went yet somehow it manages to gobble up more and more resources every year.
that implies the fps craze left and it never did

Can't wait for this to result in a Battlefield game that sucks at launch, and ends update development right as it hits it's stride.

that implies the fps craze left and it never did
COD sales peaked in 2010/11, while Hero Shooters and TPS have eaten much of their pie.

It peaked, but like. Sure we're still on the ridge. But more resources are being poured into games that fewer people are buying.

I was just talking about Battlefield the other day, as in "what's the point of Battlefield?" Like, I know it satisfied a specific niche for PC players and then offered something unique on 360/PS3, but since then it feels like it has gradually lost its identity in an effort to compete with CoD (which is a really silly ambition anyways).

I hate that more talented developers are being thrown into the Sarlaac Pit of live service military shooters.

COD sales peaked in 2010/11, while Hero Shooters and TPS have eaten much of their pie.

Pretty sure MW 2019 is the best selling CoD game ever, It was the fastest selling CoD through the first 2 quarters: Q1 2020

Life-to-date, Modern Warfare has sold through more units and has more players than any prior Call of Duty title at this point after its release.
In the first quarter, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare®unit sell-through was the highest for the franchise outside of a launch quarter.

Then in September 2020 CEO of Nvidia, during a presentation(Yeah, kind of random) said CoD MW 2019 had sold 30M copies.

That milestone is higher than almost all known numbers for CoD games, and it is certainly the fastest one to get to that point and with the current digital landscape allowing for way more residual sales down the line with deep discounts, it has certainly climbed even higher by this point.

MW 2022 is probably within the top performers in copies sold as well.
The only thing that can stop CoD at any given year when it releases lesser performing games like Cold War/Vanguard and MW3.

Although, I do believe you're half right, it did peak in that era.
Those slightly less numbers back in the day were so much more of the totality of the piece of the pie in terms of copies sold annually.
CoD is also less culturally relevant than it was back in the day(in NA) even though it has expanded more on PC/global audience.

Edit: R.I.P. Dead Space again.

Last edited:
Pretty sure MW 2019 is the best selling CoD game ever, It was the fastest selling CoD through the first 2 quarters: Q1 2020

Then in September 2020 CEO of Nvidia, during a presentation(Yeah, kind of random) said CoD MW 2019 had sold 30M copies.

That milestone is higher than almost all known numbers for CoD games, and it is certainly the fastest one to get to that point and with the current digital landscape allowing for way more residual sales down the line with deep discounts, it has certainly climbed even higher by this point.

MW 2022 is probably within the top performers in copies sold as well.
The only thing that can stop CoD at any given year when it releases lesser performing games like Cold War/Vanguard and MW3.

Although, I do believe you're half right, it did peak in that era.
Those slightly less numbers back in the day were so much more of the totality of the piece of the pie in terms of copies sold annually.
CoD is also less culturally relevant than it was back in the day(in NA) even though it has expanded more on PC/global audience.

Edit: R.I.P. Dead Space again.
yep Im expecting good sales for Black ops cold war this year

Tbh reading over this, this comes across more as "we have extra people hanging around while most of our devs are working on Iron Man, so they're helping get Battlefield out the door" more than Motive being shunted into the mines

I’m not exactly familiar with battlefield, so forgive my ignorance, by isn’t it unhealthy for a game series to constantly be switching/ add on new dev teams like Battlefield does? I mean if you had a consistent team of people working on a game, you could build synergy, understanding, and better understand the core gameplay and what to improve on in subsequent entries. This reeks of what Xbox did to Halo Infinite, constantly switching out most of the dev team mid development, forcing the pace of development to a halt as new devs brought tons of changes to what the game was gonna be

Quoted by: N75
i was under the impression that Splatoon 3 got worse with every update.

No, it didn't get better as much or as fast as people would have liked, but Splatoon 3 hasn't had its meta-ruining moment yet like Splatoon 2 did with Main Power Up.

Motive is in a pretty weird spot right now, developing what is presumably one of their last major licensed games (depending on how hard EA pivots away from them). I guess it makes sense that they would put at least part of the team on Battlefield. I do hope they get to work on some of their own stuff as well though.

Ugh. If they can simultaneously work on Iron Man and Battlefield, then they could have simultaneously worked on Iron Man and Dead Space 2 remake instead. Worse timeline.

I’m not exactly familiar with battlefield, so forgive my ignorance, by isn’t it unhealthy for a game series to constantly be switching/ add on new dev teams like Battlefield does? I mean if you had a consistent team of people working on a game, you could build synergy, understanding, and better understand the core gameplay and what to improve on in subsequent entries. This reeks of what Xbox did to Halo Infinite, constantly switching out most of the dev team mid development, forcing the pace of development to a halt as new devs brought tons of changes to what the game was gonna be
CoD has been in a yearly rotation between different devs since 2006 mostly being built upon the same engine, with the only exception being the most recent Modern Warfare 3 which was originally meant to be DLC.

Some cracks have started to show recently, though that’s probably more to do with mismanagement, COVID, and that nature of AAA development these days. The fact that essentially every other Activision studio was pulled onto CoD support is probaly a symptom of all this,

Back
Top Bottom