• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Dragon Ball Super Super Hero Releases April 22nd, 2022. New trailer and poster, seemingly Gohan focused.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Pronouns
He/Him
FGmMQJ9UcAEd-lo

Trailer with English subs in the link below.
Interesting that the only shots we have on Goku and Vegeta are on Beerus’s planet.

Last edited:
Can't wait for them to still somehow do my boy dirty. :cry:

Also, since when are they using this weird CG for Super? I've only seen a few episodes. edit: Wait, is this a movie?

Can't wait for them to still somehow do my boy dirty. :cry:

Also, since when are they using this weird CG for Super? I've only seen a few episodes. edit: Wait, is this a movie?
This is a movie, it’s also the first CG DB movie, though BoG, F and Broly all have quite a bit of CG.

Hey remember how the internet revolted after Sonic's movie design was shows, and the studio decided to delay the film and redesign Sonic and redo the cg?

What are the chances of fans being able to create enough groundswell that Toei ditches the CGI and redoes this movie in the gorgeous hand-drawn animation from Broly?

Hey remember how the internet revolted after Sonic's movie design was shows, and the studio decided to delay the film and redesign Sonic and redo the cg?

What are the chances of fans being able to create enough groundswell that Toei ditches the CGI and redoes this movie in the gorgeous hand-drawn animation from Broly?
0% chance.
There isn’t really a massive backlash. Honestly I think it looks fine, it’s definitely a step down from Broly but it looks decent. Best chance of seeing this in 2D would be if they adapted the movie in anime form at some point, like BoG and F.

One thing I’ll give this movie’s visuals over Broly is the character designs, Chikashi Kubota has perfectly merged modern Toriyama with Buu era anime designs and I think it looks great. No offense to Naohiro Shintani, he did great on Broly, but Kubota feels like he understands the intricacies of DB’s art a little better.

The cg still looks weird, maybe a bit better than the last time, but that could be my mind playing tricks on me.

I'm excited for it though. Broly was one of the best theatrical experiences I've had. Hopefully this can come out here at some point this summer.

Still looks like a damn video game to me

Also looks like lower stakes than the last two, but if that lets them focus more on characters like Gohan, Piccolo and Pan (FINALLY) then hopefully it turns out well

I like the premise of this movie a lot more than the previous ones. It's nice to see Gohan in the spotlight again. I also hope they take the opportunity to develop Pan instead of just getting her kidnapped or something.

I've semi-jokingly said before they should do a Gohan-centric movie where he beats the villain as an apology to Gohan fans, but it looks like they might do it lol

I'm burnt out on Super-era Dragon Ball content, it's very far removed from a lot of what I love about the series (which is probably my favorite media franchise of all time), but there's been good stuff in there so hopefully this is one of them. Disappointed though that they dumped Shintani's beautiful artwork for CG but unsurprising given that the whole anime industry is desperately trying to move to CG.

Mostly I'm just glad Vegeta is finally rocking his Buu-era outfit again. It's his best look and I'll die on that hill.

0% chance.
There isn’t really a massive backlash. Honestly I think it looks fine, it’s definitely a step down from Broly but it looks decent. Best chance of seeing this in 2D would be if they adapted the movie in anime form at some point, like BoG and F.

One thing I’ll give this movie’s visuals over Broly is the character designs, Chikashi Kubota has perfectly merged modern Toriyama with Buu era anime designs and I think it looks great. No offense to Naohiro Shintani, he did great on Broly, but Kubota feels like he understands the intricacies of DB’s art a little better.
I don't think that's a bad thing though. Shintani's art definitely evoked a lot of the Saiyan/Namek-era art, and IMO that's when DB looked its best. But I also really don't like modern Toriyama's art so I'm biased lol

My issue with the Broly movie is that the art is very inconsistent. Not in terms of quality, but style. You can tell so easily when a new animator takes over. I think the movie looks best during the initial fight between Vegeta and Broly, which is Yuya Takahashi's section. He has mastered the Buu Saga style (my personal favorite). Compare this part to the scene where Goku and Vegeta are practicing how to fuse. Very different style and tone.

I'm not a fan of CG, but if they can give the movie a more consistent look this time around I would be pleased.

I’m excited for more Dragon Ball, less so the 3D CG. It just doesn’t spark the imagination the same way 2D animation does and it is especially disappointing after the absurdly exciting Broly. I understand covid concerns and reshuffling of staff led to this and I’m willing to give this a chance for what it is however. The trailer still looked fun.

Chikashi Kubota did some fan art to celebrate the announcement that he is character designer for the film.

Last edited:
Please don't do Gohan dirty Toriyama, I'm begging you.
The only things I really want to see out of this movie potentially:

Gohan unlocks his true innermost power surpassing Super Saiyan blue in power with little to no power consumption.

Cell comes back to absorb the new Androids alongside 17 & 18 again with a mix of God Ki to become some new form.

Pan gets super saiyan unlocked and tops Gohan as the youngest Saiyan Hybrid to unlock Super Saiyan.

Broly masters his power like Kale did into a new controlled form.

Piccolo & Gohan have a father/son moment in contrast to a Goku & Gohan father/son moment. Showing how Piccolo is truly Gohan's father figure and Gohan admitting it.

Gohan & Piccolo duo super attack.

Gohan & Pan duo attack

Pan gets young Gohan angry/showing hidden potential motif like in the Radditz fight

Trunks and Goten get proper teenager size and stop defying the laws of their age.

Back
Top Bottom