• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Donkey Kong (1981) is a Mario game

• Thread starter Deleted member 2
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2

You play as Mario. It's called Donkey Kong as in "The Legend of Donkey Kong"

What are some more gamer facts that make you angry

Final Fantasy 7 isn't a sequel to Final Fantasy 6...
....yet.

Game & Wario is my favourite Donkey Kong spinoff and Jimmy T is my favourite Donkey Kong Universe character!

5751543add089527248b463b

You can sequence break by slipping through the openings in some of the walls

This is objectively correct. At the very worse, you could consider Arcade Donkey Kong a common ancestor to both the Super Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong Country series, but the Mario series is clearly what kept carrying the torch of Arcade Donkey Kong.

Metal Gear should, in fact, be called "Solid Snake" (or "Raiden", or "Big Boss"). Then we'd see such classics as Solid Snake 2: Solid Snake

The arcade Donkey Kong is more formally part of the Mario vs Donkey Kong series, which both Mario and more modern takes on Donkey Kong spun off from. Though at this point, Mario vs DK has gone off in a weird direction.

It’s both a Mario game and a Donkey Kong game. It’s the origin of both series, with its arcade sequels being specifically Donkey Kong rather than Mario. After all, Mario becomes the enemy in Donkey Kong Jr., and he’s completely absent in Donkey Kong 3. It’s kinda like how Yoshi’s Island is both Super Mario World 2 and the start of the Yoshi series, or how Wario Land is both Super Mario Land 3 and the start of the Wario series.

Not something that annoys me or anything, I just think it’s funny his name is “Donkey Kong” even though he’s not a donkey. And I don’t think there have been any donkeys in the series either

No! I won't accept this. Donkey Kong is in fact part of the Classic Donkey Kong series, just like DK Jr, DK94, Mario vs Donkey Kong... I'll never accept it as a Mario game!
Yeah, just because Mario became the breakout and star of his own series doesn't negate that Mario, DKC, Wario, Yoshi, Luigi's Mansion and everything else pertaining to them aren't all DK spinoffs.

Popeye became the breakout star of Thimble Theater and soon became THE star of the strip (so much so that he stole Olive Oyl from the original male main character). It doesn't mean Popeye isn't still something spun-off of Thimble Theater.

Back
Top Bottom