• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Does anyone else think that Nintendo has stopped Amazon and Walmart from selling preorders to block preorder sales data from getting out?

In the last year or so, Amazon and Walmart added the super interesting feature of telling people how many people ordered this title in the last month. This was largely a consumer recommendation feature, but it gave a lot of sales data insight as well.

And now Nintendo doesn't seem to be allowing preorders for games like TTYD and LM2 from Amazon and Walmart and just those two websites...

... I think this has to be a preorder data hoarding thing?

it's more likely their employees were implicated as part of the recent yuzu sting, supplying early copies of games for dumpingand patching.
I suspect there's agreed upon penalties and they're getting it out of the way before Switch 2 goes up for preorder

Amazon always goes super petty on Nintendo preorder contracts every couple years and usually right around system announcements. Wouldn’t read anymore into it than that. For Walmart I’m still betting they under ordered

Amazon and NoA have had an on and off spat for ages, this is not new or unusual.

I don't know what's going on with Walmart, but I'm inclined to blame Walmart.

Is there any evidence for this.
no evidence outside of reading of the tealeaves like everyone is. There is no reporting on this and no one here have sources.,

The Amazon thing also seems to be limited to Amazon US, Amazon Canada still has pre-orders and selling eshop cards.
I recall it being much worse during 3DS era when iirc the Canadian store was also affected. They wouldn't even let me post my review of 3DS claiming it was not legitimate. (e.g. paid review) and refused to explain why.

Paper Mario leaked one day pre release compared to Peach leaking two days pre release. Is there really any pattern there?

Not necessarily a pattern, but it means the copies leaked were not from a store, but probably from a consumer. Copies leaking weeks before release were probably stolen from the warehouse, before they were available to somebody external to the chain of supply.

"Nintendo has stopped retailers from selling copies of their games"

No. Full stop. Something else happened, maybe there just aren't enough copies, but it has nothing to do with data or stopping leaks. When games leak early it's always because an employee who didn't know better put the game on shelves early, so this wouldn't solve anything.

I think it is because they were afraid The Thousand Year Door would outsell Mario Wonder. They wanted to limit it.

Back
Top Bottom