• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Do You Think The Next 3D Mario Will Be Open World?

open world

• Total voters
Yes.
Bowsers Fury was a warm up.

In fact, I'll take it a step further and say it'll even be called Super Mario Open World.

It's like free marketing that also fits with the previous names (World/3D World). The most basic name humanly imaginable, but it works

Last edited:
Yes and no. I expect them to build off of what Odyssey and Bowsers Fury started. Larger, mostly seamless levels, or one giant level. But I expect a solid level of guidance, and the size of it will be nowhere near what open worlds usually are. Nowhere near.

Agree about Bowser's Fury being a test. I think it might be.

Only will like it if I can traverse to places using karts and rainbow road.

I will say yes, but also that given Bowser's Fury was made by NSFT and not EPD, that the Bowser's Fury was a test run thing is not as sure fire an example as some people think it is.

Odyssey already had levels that felt like they were going in that direction anyways, like the Desert kingdom.

Yes, but not a huge one. I'm predicting an area the size of six large kingdoms from Odyssey, with lots of sub levels similar to Galaxy levels.

People have been visualizing it since after the Galaxy games with ideas like Super Mario Universe. It's time

Yes, since open world games are all the rage now and they've already gone more into that direction with Bowser's Fury.
I'll go further, this is how I see it.
A game "inspired" by the movie. With 4-5 very large open levels (that based on the movie may include New Donk City, Penguin Kingdom, DK Jungle, Bowser Castle) with a central hub (Mushroom Kingdom). All connected with Karts and Rainbow Road.

I voted NO for two reasons:

1. Not all AAA games need to be open world
2. I'd love Nintendo to develop a new Mario game in the style of Mario Galaxy

No, it'll be something in line with Bowser's Fury.
But... but Bowser's Fury is open world...

I voted no. To me Bowser Fury was a cool experiment, but I don't know how easily it translates to a full game. That said, I'm sure whatever they do will be great

I hope that the open world is more like a giant hub world with multiple biomes/themes and there are intricately designed linear levels and puzzles scattered throughout. Kinda like...uhh... Sonic Frontiers, I guess? But actually good

I think it will be an open-world.
I didn't like Bowser's Fury that much (I found it a bit boring) but I guess a brand new game would be much more thought in terms of Game and Level-Design, but I'll wait before giving an opinion.

I think Mario works best with linear stages, but if it's like Bowser's Fury but on a much larger scale, then I'll be happy with that.

That game hit a nice balance being open while having each island be its own little level

Yes. And I'll go further and say it's not gonna be like Bowser's Fury(as in open world having platforming) nor Odyssey but way bigger. It's gonna be an open hub world that's like a city that has snow/forest/lava regions, in which you freely explore, talk to NPCs and from there you enter Galaxy or 3D World style levels. I think they even might bring galaxies back.

But imho it's definitely gonna be open world. It'll have taken more than 6 years to develop, way longer than any Mario game ever and only comparable to TotK dev time.

Also Odyssey did the bigger the semi-open world or level based could get, and everyone loved that. A big part of the game's marketing was about it being sandbox and the vistas and the size of the levels. They won't go back with it, they're going for an open world next.

Like many of y’all, I was under the impression that Bowser’s Fury was a test run for a new 3D Mario.

Not sure if Nintendo will make the next 3D Mario entirely just a larger version of Bowser’s Fury. Maybe the open world areas are like a more interactive world map. Similar to Breath of the Wild where there’s a big open world but the Shrines would be individual stages. Not saying world will be as large as Hyrule though.

not necessarily open world but maybe they're gonna make it fully seamless to go from one area to another with an "ingame" short loading screen (something like the portals in the latest ratchet and clanks) and maybe part of the game loop will be finding ways to go back and forth different worlds rather than going back to a central hub or world map everytime.

Also obviously each areas would be significantly bigger than anything from Odyssey or even Bowser Fury with some kind of systemic gameplay gimmick affecting the whole world (similar to how you had giant bowser chasing you at regular intervals in BF).

edit : Funnily enough how I'd envision Mario going from world to another with an in universe short loading screen :

mario-movie-pipe-inside.jpg

Last edited:
imagine you get a Kart in the game and you can unlock upgrades like glider from 7 and anti-grave from 8 to get to new area's

I don't 100% predict it, but it is a fairly reasonable guess.

To me the ideal open world Mario is sort of like how TOTK is set up with the map - start the player in the center, and they push out to the outer rings of the map, and the deeper they go out the more challenging it is, with unique biomes and points of interest spread out. It doesn't need to be a massive game with 200 hours of content - but I could see it still being at least as big as Odyssey, which is easily the most time consuming 3D Mario to clear 100%.

I don't 100% predict it, but it is a fairly reasonable guess.

To me the ideal open world Mario is sort of like how TOTK is set up with the map - start the player in the center, and they push out to the outer rings of the map, and the deeper they go out the more challenging it is, with unique biomes and points of interest spread out. It doesn't need to be a massive game with 200 hours of content - but I could see it still being at least as big as Odyssey, which is easily the most time consuming 3D Mario to clear 100%.
+ add some pipes or portals to get to linear 3D levels like 3D World.

Yeah, I think it'll be at least partially open world, but more or less feel like a bunch of Odyssey-styled areas stitched together somehow. But I think seamless traversal between areas will be something they'll aim for

Never even thought about Bowsers Fury being a test run. I absolutely agree with this.

But I'm not sure if they are going to do an entire new 3d Mario or an odyssey 2! it will be so interesting what they do with the next 3d Mario and how they are going to incorporate this with the new hardware to make people want to buy it from day 1.

IM EXCITED

I voted "no" as in "Please, dear God, NO!"

Sounds good on paper though if you don't think about it even a little bit, but I don't see any appeal or benefit to such a design choice. And I've thought about it at least a little bit. I'm banking my choice on the hope Nintendo has gone through this thought process as well.

I voted no but then remembered Bowser's Fury existed so I probably should've voted yes lmao

not asking if you want it to be open world "Do" you think it will be open world
If by open world we refer to something like Bowser's Fury structure then I hope it will be and I think it might be. I can see them exploring the idea on a bigger scope. Bowser's Fury map was all based on a similar theme, ice lake or something, so it will be interesting to see if they can pull a bigger map with different themes seamlessly connected.

Id like to think so! But id also be open to a new galaxy 2 style linear game : )
Yeah, if they gonna go more linear I'd rather have a game based on Galaxy 2 instead of 3D World.

I know this isn't the wildest prediction nor am I the first to suggest this. But here is the clues the way I see them:

(1) Nintendo needs a launch title for the Switch 2. They want to replicate BotW success but can't make another Zelda so fast. So it's got to be Mario.
(2) They now understand open world games have strong appeal to players and sell more, can more easily be system sellers.
(3) Bowser's Fury was clear experimentation of that idea.
(4) 3d Mario team is very silent, no leaks whatsoever, they might be preparing something big

Those are the arguments for it.

Against it, we have:
(a) It's Nintendo. They do what they want to do.
(b) It's not clear if the open world formula will work well with platformers at something much larger scale than Bowser's Fury.

What do you think?

Maybe. I kind of hope the 3D Mario team is taking Zelda's success as a challenge, and they try something radical and new of their own.

If they're going the Bowser's Fury approach it needs to be much, much better. I enjoyed my time with it, but the gameplay wasn't anything special in the same way the other 3D Mario games are, and the lack of focus really hurt the idea of a Mario game imo.

Also, they need to come up with a better system for refreshing missions in the same area. Having the course magically change off-screen just because you've turned the camera away doesn't feel good at all.

Last edited:
I def think they are cooking something. They experimented on Bowser's fury a bit. I'm sure they knew the Switch didn't need a major new 3D entry to succeed, could afford to take time and saw how well the reboot turned out for Zelda and probably are getting inspired by it.

That + it only make sense Mario 3D will be the launch title for the next system. It's probably the only mainline top tier franchise Nintendo will have ready to go for launch. So i expect a pretty ambitious game.

We had two next open world Mario games threads active at once so we merged them to keep discussion together. -xghost777, Josh5890, Irene, VolcanicDynamo

the next 3D Mario could be open world, Bowser Fury kinda felt like a proof of a concept of how a open world could work on the franchise, i imagine , 5/6 areas/worlds based on iconic places of the franchise, like world 1 would be Mushroom Kingdom, world 6 the final area could be a amalgation of all lava/final areas of the franchise.
World 1: Mushroom Kingdom
World 2:florest
World 3: ilegal Delfno
World 4:Kart everywhere
World 5: king boo realm
World 6: Bowser realm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom