• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Do You Think the Mario & Luigi Series Will Ever Return Or Remain Dead Forever?

M&L ever return?

• Total voters
do we know where the key people from alphadream work at nowadays? didn't some of them got hired by nintendo?

Hiroyuki Kubota is at Monolith. He directed BiS and Dream Team and was responsible for the scenario of the first four games.
Fujioka is probably retired/freelance, others should be at Arzest but it's difficult to find credits for everyone who used to be at AlphaDream.

ILCA with. around 20, mostly staff from the later games, 3 at monolith, 1 at indies zero, 1 good feel, a few at other companies,some are freelancers,around half of the staff we have no idea,some could pop up on switch 2 launch games, of the directors kubota is at monolith,maekawa is at square enix,kobayashi at ILCA and fujioka is playing drums at a rock band

As much as I loved the series, I'd think I'd prefer it stay dormant for now, and instead have Paper Mario return to its roots and SMRPG get a sequel. Bring it back when there's a team with a clear vision and new ideas on how to approach the overall concept (as I think Alpha Dream was kind of running on fumes by the end).
if Nintendo was going to bring Mario RPG back, then IS would stay the course with Paper Mario. the reason for the shift was because they thought it was redundant to have two rpg Mario games

if Nintendo was going to bring Mario RPG back, then IS would stay the course with Paper Mario. the reason for the shift was because they thought it was redundant to have two rpg Mario games

Yeah, I forgot about that. Well, let's get one of those two options at the very least!

I think it will boil down to if Nintendo is contented with just Paper Mario releasing every 4 years. M&L and PM released most of their games in back to back years (though I will acknowledge that they were on separate platforms, besides the case of Sticker Star and Dream Team). But just recently Nintendo has shown that they're not against releasing Mario RPG games in back to back years with SMRPG and PMTTYD. And there's no more games in the Super Mario RPG line. I don't think Nintendo would want to start a series with RPG literally in the branding and M&L always kinda sold a little better than Paper Mario. If Nintendo wants a supplement to a Paper Mario every 4 years then reviving M&L feels like the right answer, but that's IF Nintendo wants that.

Last edited:
I think they will return. They will just spread the releases further and will probably wait a few years before they revisit.

They could start with a remaster or remake of Partners in Time and if it's successful (I think it will be a big hit) they will do a new one.

I’d hope so but I don’t think it’ll be anytime soon. They’ve got plenty of developers already working on other stuff and I don’t think the series is exactly high priority for them. Still have my fingers crossed!

I’m going to say no, I think we instead get a sequel to Super Mario RPG and that series will fill the void left by the M&L games.
Definitely wouldn’t for me. SMRPG is easily my least favorite Mario RPG

I'm happy for the fans who wanted this series to have a new game! But as someone who likes Dr. Mario and hope there's a new Switch game, it's a bit deflating to see that that's one series that has a future that's up in the air... or maybe one that's six feet underground...

Thank you for reading.

In usual Nintendo fashion, it'll return when they have an idea of how to make it fresh. Dream Team, as much as I liked it, was already running on fumes, and Paper Jam was the definition of stale. Nintendo knows it, so they'll only go back to the series if someone has an eureka moment.

To answer the topic more directly: I think it will return, it just may take a long while.
Oh, how wrong I was. And how happy I am about that.

I did not voted but I never thought that we would continue to get new entries in the franchise. Completely unexpected.

I'm happy for the fans who wanted this series to have a new game! But as someone who likes Dr. Mario and hope there's a new Switch game, it's a bit deflating to see that that's one series that has a future that's up in the air... or maybe one that's six feet underground...

Thank you for reading.
This one is wild because (discounting the virtual boy), this would be the first console it ever skips out on, correct?

Do rereleases/remasters count?

Honestly it's very rare a Mario subseries stays completely dead. Even stuff like Strikers came back. I think one day it will come back in some form, but I'm personally not itching for it much. Always preferred SMRPG and the first two PMs and the M&L series only has one truly great game IMO. But if they make another and it's good, sure I'll play it.
"One day" being in a month apparently. It looks good!
I feel like another Superstar Saga remake would just kill any enthusiasm for the series. Just make a new game.
Aha!

This one is wild because (discounting the virtual boy), this would be the first console it ever skips out on, correct?
Yes, but there's still life in the Switch so we don't know if it actually skips it. I hope it shows up eventually! I'm low-key longing for a new Dr. Mario myself for years.

Who knows? It might be late to the party like the original Dr. Mario (NES) or 64 were on their respective consoles. Maybe there's hope.

Thank you for reading.

Yes, but there's still life in the Switch so we don't know if it actually skips it. I hope it shows up eventually! I'm low-key longing for a new Dr. Mario myself for years.

Who knows? It might be late to the party like the original Dr. Mario (NES) or 64 were on their respective consoles. Maybe there's hope.

Thank you for reading.
Dr. Mario is far more likely to return than Dragalia is to return. (Both are mobile games whose latest titles are dead lol).
After Switch 2 is released, Nintendo should continue to release some of their games on Switch 1, so there is still a chance.

This poll needed more options, I was team-obviously-not-dead-but-give-it-10-years, which yeah, wrong-o. But also thought remakes were burnt out, so I'll still bask in that correctness lol

I don't think these games will return any time soon in the way these past games were, even if they were great fun and I would love to see more, based on past interviews I feel like Nintendo does not like to thread this covered ground as long as there is nothing new or innovative to add to the genre.

The current amount of "YES" surprise me.

🤯

I'm gonna be honest, M&L is my favorite Mario RPG series. What TTYD is for Paper Mario fans, Bowser's Inside Story is for me. Seeing it return makes me SO HAPPY. I hope it knocks it out of the park!

Probably not, or at least not for the foreseeable future. No studio to call home and its "shepherds" currently being in the wind doesn't do it any favors.

Additionally, if Fujioka does come back, it'll probably be to fulfill his longstanding desire to work on a proper follow-up to Mario RPG. My guess would be either a straight sequel or another "evolutionary tangent", much like M&L was. I'd rather see either of those possibilities come to light, at this point, rather than just bringing back M&L.
slaps

Shows what you know, past-treiii!

I was surprised to see Mario & Luigi again! And a new game at that! Always thought we were honna get an end of generation remake for Switch 2

Back
Top Bottom