• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Do You Think "Side Order" Is A Worth Follow-Up To " Octo Expansion"?

SpaceGodzilla

Did You Get that Thing I Sent You?
Pronouns
him
and I guess if you think elements of Side order should be in future campaigns like octo expansion was

They’re both great, and I think Nintendo should continue doing new things like they did with both Octo Expansion and Side Order. While Octo Expansion has higher highs from a narrative perspective, Side Order has it beat by far in its replayability, in my opinion. So they’re both fantastic in their own ways. I’d hope that a potential DLC expansion for the next Splatoon game continues this trend and does something else entirely new that we may not expect, because I’m sure it’ll be similarly fantastic in its own way.

Splatoon 3 campaign felt more like a follow-up to Octo Expansion.
Respect Side Order for doing something different, but they could've done more with the concept. Octo was the better dlc

No, that's what Hero mode in Splatoon 3 was and it was great.

Side Order is its own thing. An enjoyable thing that expands just the riiight amount of lore for Off the Hook, Acht, etc.

Last edited:
No but it’s not supposed to be. Return of the Mammaliens is more of the spiritual successor. Side Order is more of a new mode than a new singleplayer campaign.

Yeah, I don't think it was aiming at following up octo expansion at all. It's good at what it set out to be, mind you.

I'm glad they innovated and did something different with Side Order compared to past campaigns. But there was not nearly enough variety in Side Order between floor layouts, objectives, and bosses. Clearing it with every weapon eventually become really repetitive.

I enjoyed Octo Expansion and 3's Hero Mode both a lot more.

It's solid but not as good as Octo Expansion. Some small adjustments like different boss arenas or additional modifiers, like some of those that appear in challenges, would have gone a long way. Also a shame that you can't adjust the amount of color chips you can equip, the octoshot challenge made me wish I could do a no color chip run or impose similar limits on other weapons. No daily with leaderboard was also a bizarre choice.

Narratively it's a small, self-contained affair, but it ties things up well. The setup around the first completed run pushing you directly into the second phase was super anti-climactic and should have been locked behind a second completion.

Last edited:
I assume OP just meant worthy followup in terms of being the next DLC expansion, not in terms of story/mechanics/structure. As in, did Side Order live up to the lofty standards set by Octo Expansion

Not even close imo, it was interesting to see them take on a roguelite but it felt so barebones and undercooked in both story and content whereas Octo Expansion’s lore and handcrafted levels were fantastic, easily one of the best DLCs.

I love Side Order so much. Kudos to the team for trying something new and succeeding big time. Love the new enemies, the aesthetic and the color chip mechanic. It’s so addicting

Back
Top Bottom