• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Do you think Nintendo is done with the name "New Super Mario Bros." for future 2D Mario?

Do we know what kind of titles? I forgot about some smaller stuff like warioware and ufo diy
I believe they're both 2D platformers. One is from the usual team, the other is from EPD Tokyo (the 3D Mario team, who is also working on a 3D platformer via job listings).

Nintendo strikes me as not being interested in 2D anymore in general, 2D metroid is the only thing I expect to come out semi-consistently and that's outsourced assuming they don't move onto 3d third person themselves
They are literally the one publisher that still does high-budget 2D games; I don't think they want to lose that position and privilege.

And the audience is still there... and particularly, I'm starving for DKC...

They are literally the one publisher that still does high-budget 2D games; I don't think they want to lose that position and privilege.

And the audience is still there... and particularly, I'm starving for DKC...
Can we consider Dread to be high budget? DKC TF was almost 10 years ago.

Oh there's also smash bros but 2D is standard for fighters

Can we consider Dread to be high budget? DKC TF was almost 10 years ago.

Oh there's also smash bros but 2D is standard for fighters
most definitely; that game transpires high production values in every way; And it's Metroid.. not one of the most prestigious Nintendo IPs, but it's no Sushi Striker either.

I am hopeful that the DK EPD game is 2D, by the way; It's an enormous gap needing to be filled.

I have the idea that there could be "skins" of other characters like Birdo, DK, Diddy, Daisy, and Wario that you can play as in addition to Mario
Mario wearing the skins of his friends and allies, and especially of his enemies? That's decidedly macabre.

Joke aside, I'd like a hand drawn 2D Mario game with a strong artistic personnality. Kind of like what they did with the first yoshi's Island back in the days.
You're certainly not alone in that, and the Kotabe artstyle -- currently maintained by Shigehisa Nakaue -- would serve very well as a base, in addition to being already so strongly associated with Mario.

ironically I think paper would be a fun direction for a platformer rather than an rpg

folding and layering space to change levels would be very cool
This could be a legitimately visually-striking, exciting, and interesting way for an installment to go. There's the question of whether Nintendo would see fit to cast a Mario platformer into that fold, but the larger franchise does have a paper connection, and it could be a brilliant installment into Nintendo's Larger Crafted Universe.

In addition, for Mario specifically, this has been a strong part of Nintendo's history and of Mario's identity. While they might not technically need further new 2D Mario going into the future, I highly doubt it's gone for good.

Nintendo strikes me as not being interested in 2D anymore in general, 2D metroid is the only thing I expect to come out semi-consistently and that's outsourced assuming they don't move onto 3d third person themselves
EPD are working on two 2D action games as we speak. If we're counting external projects like Dread, Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe releases in two months.

It's funny to think that half a decade ago in the 3DS generation people were talking about Nintendo releasing TOO many 2D platformers; and now the opposite is being argued.

Back
Top Bottom