• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Do you think Nintendo is done with the name "New Super Mario Bros." for future 2D Mario?

Gartooth

Universal Madness
Founder
Pronouns
He/him
Next year, we will be 11 years past the releases of NSMB2 and NSMBU, and 10 years past New Super Luigi U. Those were the last instances of Nintendo using the "NSMB" name for a new title. Since then we've just seen NSMBU re-released onto Switch.

My question is, do we think Nintendo will rebrand 2D Mario with the next new installment or stick with the NSMB name? Something I have wondered is that even if a future 2D Mario is a big breakaway from those older games, would Nintendo still slap the NSMB brand on it for audience recognition? I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks.

That depends entirely on what the next super mario Bros. Game ends up being. If it's the same style of game and a similar art style, I can easily see them keeping the NSMB name.

The series has been absurdly successful and it was still the 3rd best selling title on the Wii U, and still ended up being the second best selling Wii U port, behind only Mario kart 8. 3rd if you want to be absurdly picky and technically call BOTW a port when it was a cross gen game.

I’ll say it’s probably at least on the back burner and a more unique 2D game is probably in the works.

They're absolutely done to be sure.

But I honestly don't really mind the NSMB series that much. A four-game run of solid level design that didn't need to be overly complicated.

But another game in that style (NSMB name or not) will need to do something new. I have the idea that there could be "skins" of other characters like Birdo, DK, Diddy, Daisy, and Wario that you can play as in addition to Mario.

Look at the font on that logo... it's not going anywhere anytime soon

Super-Mario-Bros-Movie-leaked-posters-images.jpg

Doesn't say "New" though :unsure:

I think the way they can delineate between 2D and 3D Mario is just using the "Bros." part for the 2D titles and leaving it off the 3D ones.

He said "New" Super Mario Bros. Meaning the titles for the 2D games, which hasn't been used for a new 2D Mario game(or any Mario game for that matter) since 2012.

Last edited:
Even if its the same style as the NSMB games, i think they will get rid of the „New“. They already stopped numbering the mainline Mario Party games with Super Mario Party. So i think they will also rename the „New“-series.

That's just a smoother version of the 1985 Super Mario Bros. title screen lettering, which was itself a modification of the original 1983 Mario Bros. title. New just added the "New" in a spiky balloon.

And yeah, absolutely it's time that the next one will be Something Else Super Mario Bros.

EDIT: Writing the above makes me realize that 2023 will be the 40th anniversary of "Mario Bros." as a brand.

True, it's identical to the New Super Mario Bros logo, but that logo has always been a modernized variant of the original.

71YHRV-e31L.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Even if they drop 'new', I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the design language.

Time to reinvent the 2d series and take it in a much needed new direction. Ditch the generic grass, dessert, lava worlds and “name”. Start combining elements of those worlds with new ideas ex. combine lava/ice/ dessert all in one. Make new worlds that don’t play it safe. Essentially what they have done with 3D Mario, but incorporate that into 2d. Mess with the gravity, power ups, etc. Do whatever to make the game stand out from its predecessors. On a final note the music has to go along with the “new” title!

Yeah, I think so. The only way I see it coming back is maybe via New Super Mario World, although I doubt they go that route.

They’ll try to establish something entirely new.

Joke aside, I'd like a hand drawn 2D Mario game with a strong artistic personnality. Kind of like what they did with the first yoshi's Island back in the days.
I like when they try unexpected art and Mario has been looking the same for a long time.

ironically I think paper would be a fun direction for a platformer rather than an rpg

folding and layering space to change levels would be very cool

2D hasn't been around for a while now apart from the re-release of NSMBU and Mario Maker so clearly theyre trying to significantly reboot it somewhat - suspect they may have pivoted to 2D DK for a bit while they work out the future of 2D Mario. Part of me wouldn't be surprised if 3D World/Land "Course Style Mario" became the new 2D Mario alongside the big Sandbox/"Miniature Garden Exploration" 3D games for the foreseeable

Got a feeling they'll move away from the New moniker. The new 2D Mario will probably be a slight shake up of the formula. Not sure what it will be though.

If they show up 10 years after the last 2D Mario game with “New Super Mario Bros Switch” there’s gonnna be problems.

The name is dead. U Deluxe will be the last one with that naming scheme.

I think the term "new" Super Mario Bros is dead outside of eventually porting the rest of the series to HD. IMO if Nintendo wanted to milk the "new" series farther, we would of had a new game in the series by now.

Hopefully there is a special 2D Mario game cooking behind the scenes.

The name and artstyle must be done by now.
I want an HD game with the artstyle of SMB3 or SMW.

By now it'll have been a decade since the last release: New is Old and by the time of actual release might even be Ancient, which could be an interesting direction for a Mario title.

I still think Nintendo should have released a complete New! Super Mario Bros. collection on Switch to close out that era.

I think part of the reason they went with "New Super Mario Bros." in the first place is because the numbering got messed up with Super Mario World being called "Super Mario Bros. 4" in Japan but not globally, so they couldn't really just call the DS game "Super Mario Bros. 4" or 5.

I could see them releasing a "New Super Mario Bros. 3" and then just dropping the "New" once they reach 4 or 5, depending on region.

IMO if Nintendo wanted to milk the "new" series farther, we would of had a new game in the series by now.

I don't know, I mean couldn't you use that same logic for, like, Mario Kart? Nobody thinks that series is done.

Yes, it's been a decade since NSMBU. But that was also a launch title for the Wii U, and as we've seen a lot, Nintendo seems to view Wii U re-releases being sufficient "Switch installments" for their once-per-generation titles like MK, NSBU, DKC, etc. since so few people played the Wii U versions.

I wouldn't assume that NSMB is dead. For all we know NSMB3 could be their holiday 2023 game.

I wouldn't assume that NSMB is dead. For all we know NSMB3 could be their holiday 2023 game.
I would like to think Nintendo has sort of grown past this sort of release schedule in terms of interest

they shouldn't let Mario be boring and I think to some extent they've learned that lesson

I think part of the reason they went with "New Super Mario Bros." in the first place is because the numbering got messed up with Super Mario World being called "Super Mario Bros. 4" in Japan but not globally, so they couldn't really just call the DS game "Super Mario Bros. 4" or 5.
And they jumped right back into screwed up numbering by having New Super Mario Bros. 2 be the third of four games.

I say the only hard evidence that Nintendo is done with NSMB, is that Super Mario Maker is literally a simplified version of their own internal level creation tool, and they "gave" for the public to mess around. -- Super Mario Run is also good indicative, as they were seeing as sendoff of that series...

but, from the logical standpoint, NSMBU DX sold gangbusters, and much more than Super Mario Maker 2... the "fatigue" of the series is more around our bubble; people only see a new 2D Mario game and eat that up.

I mean, it's fine.. NSMB are all competent to great games even.. but maybe they'll try to come up with something visually distinct after the movie brings some expectations from the masses.

there's definitely a big component of hopium for me in saying it's dead, but I still think a return after ten years would be very surprising

they shouldn't let Mario be boring and I think to some extent they've learned that lesson

There's sort of an implicit assumption being made in this thread that a "NSMB3" would have to be boring, that they couldn't do "a slight shake up of the formula," as @Nathan Little put it, without changing the name. I reject that premise. They can shake things up and still call it NSMB3, just as SMB3 shook things up and was still called SMB3.

Maybe they wouldn't want to do that, maybe they'd want to call it Super Mario Bros. S or something, but I don't think there's nearly as much baggage with the "New" name as people sometimes act like there is in these sort of threads. The games remain exceedingly popular. The part that matters for most people in terms of determining their interest is the "Super Mario Bros." bit, not the "new" prefix.

Yeah, with 13 million plus copies of New Super Mario Bros U DX shifted in 3 to 4 years, I'm not sure Nintendo view it as dead.

My personal preference would absolutely be for something different, in terms of aesthetics and design, but who knows. I think @Gay Bowser is right to say we could get a 'New' title that retains the branding but still manages to change things up.

Whatever happens, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a new mainline Mario land in the last few months of 2023, given we can assume Nintendo aren't banking on a mainline Pokemon title next year.

There's sort of an implicit assumption being made in this thread that a "NSMB3" would have to be boring, that they couldn't do "a slight shake up of the formula," as @Nathan Little put it, without changing the name. I reject that premise. They can shake things up and still call it NSMB3, just as SMB3 shook things up and was still called SMB3.

Maybe they wouldn't want to do that, maybe they'd want to call it Super Mario Bros. S or something, but I don't think there's nearly as much baggage with the "New" name as people sometimes act like there is in these sort of threads. The games remain exceedingly popular. The part that matters for most people in terms of determining their interest is the "Super Mario Bros." bit, not the "new" prefix.
Four nearly identical games came out in the span of six years, so the idea of the games as uninteresting is pretty solidly ingrained to me. I guess they could make something that is not "New" and call it that anyway, but why would they do that?

Maybe it's overly optimistic, but I generally view this discussion through an artistic lens rather than a business one. Based on my understanding of Nintendo, shallow as it may be, I think that they're more inclined to both try something new, be proud of it, and market that pride rather than reusing what already exists and capitalizing on its marketability. In fact, a New Super Mario Bros. 3 would pretty dramatically influence my understanding and opinion of Nintendo as a company: the Nintendo Switch Sports developer interview gave me a lot of hope, New Super Mario Bros would take it away.

The only reason why New Super Mario Bros is currently dead is because Nintendo went all in on Super Mario Maker. Nintendo might update the style a bit to be more like 3D World, but I highly doubt they're going to make it hand drawn or anything like that when the current style is shared across every form of Mario media except Paper Mario (I don't want them to change it either). The branding is here to stay.

Super Mario Bros. [word of the day]. Easy. Even Mario Party has grown past numbers now, so i'm not expecting to see a New Super Mario Bros. 3 or anything like that.

I don't think there's any particular strength in keeping the New branding when it was always more about the Mario; it's an extra word with little added weight. Irrespective of my thoughts on the next 2D Mario's direction I feel it'd be time to retire the title anyway; but it'd certainly be the right time if the next one is a notable refresh on the formula. I have faith in Shigeyuki Asuke and/or Yusuke Amano cooking up something good after their time away on Splatoon.

Yeah, with 13 million plus copies of New Super Mario Bros U DX shifted in 3 to 4 years, I'm not sure Nintendo view it as dead.

My personal preference would absolutely be for something different, in terms of aesthetics and design, but who knows. I think @Gay Bowser is right to say we could get a 'New' title that retains the branding but still manages to change things up.

Whatever happens, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a new mainline Mario land in the last few months of 2023, given we can assume Nintendo aren't banking on a mainline Pokemon title next year.
Not dead, per se, but that's a pretty steep decline from the numbers the series posted in the DS and Wii days. Almost every Nintendo series on Switch has either posted their best selling numbers on the system or come close. In a vacuum, 13 million is a huge success, but when NSMB DS and NSMB Wii both sold over 30 million, it's clear the brand doesn't have the same power it once did.

I do think though there is a good chance we get a 2D Mario next year.

On a somewhat more serious and involved note after my previous post (My thoughts on Nintendo concluding the particular branding with a complete collection aside -- that's legit), it really could go either way.

I personally think a branding focused on the word "new" can only go so far before it creates a certain irony, being no longer something particularly fresh and new -- unless it moves on to become associated with specifically new ideas, at which point it's kind of pointless?--, but at the same time it's a particular branding. I thought Prime should conclude after the story's end, but it seems to be determined that the brand is too valuable to change.

So, if a new title retains the same general aesthetics and style, I could absolutely see Nintendo keeping the same New! branding because, yeah, it conveys that this is in the same style as those other New! titles. And they could easily decide to maintain the general aesthetic style for the sake of overall brand consistency.

That said, this is a 2D Mario platformer, after all, and that New! branding probably doesn't much affect the game's prospects. It doesn't need the New! branding and could drop it in any case because even the same general aesthetic for consistency is then just Mario.

Basically, I really just don't see as the New! branding is itself particularly necessary and useful overall by this point, and that's without getting into the issue of whether they should change things up (my preference) or whether they might determine the existence of Mario Maker forces their hand.

Not dead, per se, but that's a pretty steep decline from the numbers the series posted in the DS and Wii days. Almost every Nintendo series on Switch has either posted their best selling numbers on the system or come close. In a vacuum, 13 million is a huge success, but when NSMB DS and NSMB Wii both sold over 30 million, it's clear the brand doesn't have the same power it once did.

I do think though there is a good chance we get a 2D Mario next year.
The name 'New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe' didn't do it any favors i'm sure; that's three adjectives (New, U, Deluxe) too many. Unless you're Mario Kart there's always going to be a stigma attached with ports; seems like a lot of people would rather wait for the actual new game (ironic in this case) over playing one percieved as old.

I do think a totally new 2D Mario with the New branding would handily outsell NSMBUDX; but I also think it would do just as well without said branding.

Super Mario Runs

Oh. That title has some unfortunate implications.
Come now. This could be the start of the Super Mario Verb series!

Super Mario Runs! Super Mario jumps! Super Mario Pounds! Super Mario F
ucks
!

Nintendo strikes me as not being interested in 2D anymore in general, 2D metroid is the only thing I expect to come out semi-consistently and that's outsourced assuming they don't move onto 3d third person themselves

Nintendo strikes me as not being interested in 2D anymore in general, 2D metroid is the only thing I expect to come out semi-consistently and that's outsourced assuming they don't move onto 3d third person themselves
They're confirmed to be working on two 2D games via job listings.

Back
Top Bottom