• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Do you personally see the Switch as a Home Console you can take with you, or a Handheld you can dock?

Which do you see the Switch as?

• Total voters
It's funny to me how there will be debates about this all around even so far into the life cycle of the Switch.
I personally use it primarily as a home console and that's basically what it is to me. Only that it's a portable one. Why can't it just be both equally? Because I think that's simply what it is.

The poll seems to agree ;p

It's funny to me how there will be debates about this all around even so far into the life cycle of the Switch.
I personally use it primarily as a home console and that's basically what it is to me. Only that it's a portable one. Why can't it just be both equally? Because I think that's simply what it is.

The poll seems to agree ;p
The poll pretty much shows the concept of the Switch, in consolidating their hardware and software decisions and consumer base with one product that is whatever the player wants it to be, was the right one.

“BOTH” IS A COWARD’S ANSWER

Which do you see the Switch as more? Personally I see it as a dockable portable. Yes, one could conceivably dock their Switch permanently and treat it entirely as a home console only device. But I think even in doing that, it is still the next step after 3DS in Nintendo’s lineup of portable consoles that that hypothetical person is simply choosing to play in that one way.

Anyway, how do you feel about the Switch?
I voted for home console however I actually honestly see it as “both” meaning that its a true hybrid through and through. I understand that it was not an option in the voting choices for “both” but that’s how I see it. Nintendo created a brand new genre of systems. It is the world’s first hybrid console.

I don't know.. games made specifically for the 3DS were still distinctly different in terms of structure than your traditional home console title and that wasn't that long ago; I mentioned Luigi's Mansion 2, but even Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros. 2 had much shorter levels than Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario Bros. U; -- and sometimes when home console games ended on the 3DS like Metal Gear Solid 3, they wouldn't be as comfortable to play and criticized for that. I also had similar issues with Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, despite being a game built for the system.

I also want to add that I never said (or never even considered) a handheld entry in a series to be a lesser experience. My comment was just about how game design changes depending on the environment and audiance.
I think it depends on the series. Monster Hunter 4 on 3DS wasn’t fundamentally more ‘portable’ than Monster Hunter Tri on Wii (in fact it’s a much bigger game, but the gameplay loop is similar). SMTIV on 3DS wasn’t ’more portable’ than SMTIII on PS2. Link Between Worlds was literally the same map as LTTP, the gameplay loop was different but not more ‘portable’. I don’t think any of the portable 2D Zeldas were too different from LoZ/LTTP back on home consoles, the big difference there is that the length of 3D open world games has gradually expanded to a huge degree over time.

Back
Top Bottom