• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Do you like Metroid Prime 2: Echoes or Metroid Prime 3: Corruption more?

Do you like Metroid Prime 2: Echoes or Metroid Prime 3: Corruption more?

• Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Votes: 68 54.0%
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Votes: 40 31.7%
  • I like them equally

Votes: 18 14.3%

• Total voters
This is a tough one. As a story, I think Corruption is stronger and more emotionally engaging. As a game, though, I prefer Echoes, and the Temple Grounds (sans Splinter tunnels, admittedly) is probably my favorite region in the entire trilogy; just an excellently-designed hub world that I always love coming back to.

Further points for/against Corruption:

• Good puzzle rooms
  • Introducing the pointer controls
  • Gunship utilization!
  • Skytown, Urtraghus, & Phaaze are all very strong areas
  • I'm a completionist so none of the keyhunts really bother me, (ZM is far more offensive to me on that front tbh) but I still appreciate how they refined the concept here with the Valhalla
  • The general hard tone shift from Halo At Home to peak Metroid cosmic horror toward the end

• Feels too much like it's trying to copy Halo-senpai in some places, especially early on
  • Aurora Unit interruptions and non-optional hints
  • Combat focus and tanky enemies forcing frequent hypermode usage
  • (Bosses requiring hypermode period)
  • Very corridor-heavy area design without many branching paths until lategame, Bryyo fire being the absolute nadir of this
  • Underwhelming bosses (aside from the corrupted Hunters) and finale

Further points for/against Echoes:

• Emphasis on new ideas, with familiar staples like Pirates & Metroids taking a backseat
  • Fantastic and varied area design
  • Obligatory Sanctuary Fortress shilling. I personally have more love for Temple Grounds, but SF is still just objectively gorgeous
  • Dark world aesthetic and vibes
  • Dark World atmospheric damage & beam ammo system
  • Almost all of the bosses, but especially Quadraxis

• Dark Pirate Commandos locking you into a room whenever they appear
  • Splinter Tunnels make for a kinda weak and ugly-looking introductory segment (maybe something a remaster could offset?)
  • Seeker Missile backtrack is mostly fine IMO, but the Power Bomb backtrack did genuinely annoy me
  • Spider Guardian
  • Spider Guardian again

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom