• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Do you like 2D platformers? Do you have the full NSO? Then play Dynamite Headdy already!

Will you do the right thing?

• GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Maronic03

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him
You fool, you absolute buffon!

The best platformer of the 16-bit era is right here for you to play and you're not doing it!
How about you all get your life back on track by fixing this horrific mistake?

Some music to get you motivated.

I have it on Wii, I remember grabbing it in early 2019 before the Wii Shop shutdown, but I haven't played it yet. What's it comparable to in terms of gameplay?

Eeh, best 2D platformer of 16-bit era is quite a stretch. It's a cool game, but I don't think it would even make in my top 30 in that category.

Personally I didn't have the energy to finish it, it got too frustrating on later levels even with save states. The gameplay is a bit clunky, it seemed like I was never properly aligned with enemies to hit them.

It's very cool nonetheless, the zaniness and creativity is a spectacule, and I think every platformer fan should try it once.

I have it on Wii, I remember grabbing it in early 2019 before the Wii Shop shutdown, but I haven't played it yet. What's it comparable to in terms of gameplay?
I would describe it as a fast-paced Kirby. Your characters having these multiples head abilities does remind Kirby copy abilities, in the sense that they have multiples uses, but aren't required most of times (you can often choose which one you prefer depending on the situation)

In term of stage structure there is nothing I can think that's similar.
You can go from 1 act with 4 bosses in a row, only for the next one to be 3 stages with no bosses.
There are no repeated patterns, the environments change constantly, there's like 20 bosses/unique enemies.

It's bonkers, you never know what's gonna happen.

Personally I didn't have the energy to finish it
Can't relate, this is probably my most replayed/finished game ever.

Eeh, best 2D platformer of 16-bit era is quite a stretch. It's a cool game, but I don't think it would even make in my top 30 in that category.

Personally I didn't have the energy to finish it, it got too frustrating on later levels even with save states. The gameplay is a bit clunky, it seemed like I was never properly aligned with enemies to hit them.

It's very cool nonetheless, the zaniness and creativity is a spectacule, and I think every platformer fan should try it once.
What are your top under-appreciated or forgotten 16-bit platformers?

Coincidentally playing this on the Mega Drive Mini.

So far I'm with Leo on it maybe not being a good/great game when all's said and done, but there's lots to enjoy here. Dense with not only scenarios and bosses like you would expect from a Treasure game, but also with easy-to-miss background details and other splashings of silliness that make it stand far out in character and appearance from other games at the time. The English version has some cool movie title pun names for the levels also.

I've resorted to save stating my way through this on my first play through which is usually a white flag in terms of enjoying a game but every slow inch forward through Dynamite Heady is a happy surprise. We'll worth its spot on the mini console.

Back
Top Bottom