• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Do you expect Yoshiaki Koizumi to be the Switch 2's producer?

MagiCarbo

Bob-omb
The development of the Nintendo Switch was led by Super Mario Galaxy director, Yoshiaki Koizumi as General Producer. Working closely with Nintendo's Hardware teams, game development teams, and international offices to help design the overall look, feel, and direction of the console design, its promo material and software strategy. It's safe to say the work paid off as the Switch became Nintendo's best selling platform in years.

So do you expect Koizumi to return as the General Producer for the successor to the Switch? I mean, Sony brought back Mark Cerny for PlayStation 5 following the success of the PlayStation 4, so it'd be odd if Switch 2 has a new producer at the helm. Though Koizumi was notably absent from this September's Direct after hosing the Fall ones for the past few years.

Assuming that he wants the job, it would certainly be weird to turn any employee down on the back of potentially record breaking success for the company and arguably the biggest hardware turnaround the games industry has ever seen.

Mr.Kawamoto.jpg

His Reign is coming.

Most likely, yes. Especially if it's an incremental update like DS -> 3DS.

Though Koizumi was notably absent from this September's Direct after hosing the Fall ones for the past few years.
If anything that makes me think he is going to be hosting a Switch 2 presentation like the big January one for Switch lol. Probably not that early tho, if the console is slated for the holidays.

Yes, he did a great job.

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if he is a future Nintendo President.
I think it was a deliberate choice not to put a developer at the head of the company, and if they had wanted to, logically the choice would have been Shinya Takahashi who is already a board member and general manager.

I love Koizumi, but I see him more as a Miyamoto successor than a guy who has to deal with shareholder meetings. He has already been promoted in the company, he is also involved in Nintendo Pictures, he was involved in the Mario Movie. He is essential in the company, but I don’t really imagine him combining creative functions with business and management functions.

He is probably the producer for the Switch 2, but I also expect that a younger generation will start to emerge and become more important at Nintendo.

I wouldn't be shocked if he is a future Nintendo President.
I'd be shock, seeing as how he'd be too old to be President after Shuntaro Furukawa steps down (Furaka right now is 51, but he was elected President back in June 2018, five years ago, so he was 46 by that time). Satoru Iwata was President for 13 years. Assuming Furukawa has a 15-20 year tenure, Yoshiaki Koizumi would be 65-70 after Shuntaro leaves Nintendo's Presidency.

Like a fellow poster suggested:

but I see him more as a Miyamoto successor
I concur with this notion.

Plus:

but I also expect that a younger generation will start to emerge and become more important at Nintendo.
My sentiments exactly.

If Platoon proved anything, is that Nintendo could benefit from more juvenile employees taking part of the decision making process.

If Platoon proved anything, is that Nintendo could benefit from more juvenile employees taking part of the decision making process.
We talk a lot about Koizumi because he was the public face of the Switch and finally got the recognition he deserves, but since this thread talks about him and his future, I think the question of Takahashi’s future is just as important. He is almost the same age as Koizumi, he was set up and promoted by Iwata himself, and he is essential to the functioning of Nintendo.

The question of the future management of EPD and the decisions that Nintendo will take to prepare for it will be absolutely exciting to follow. And I think that a new rising figure will probably appear more clearly during the life cycle of the Switch 2. Splatoon like you said, but also Animal Crossing and Mario Kart are partly under the responsibility of younger producers and are all phenomenal successes.

We talk a lot about Koizumi because he was the public face of the Switch and finally got the recognition he deserves, but since this thread talks about him and his future, I think the question of Takahashi’s future is just as important. He is almost the same age as Koizumi, he was set up and promoted by Iwata himself, and he is essential to the functioning of Nintendo.

The question of the future management of EPD and the decisions that Nintendo will take to prepare for it will be absolutely exciting to follow. And I think that a new rising figure will probably appear more clearly during the life cycle of the Switch 2. Splatoon like you said, but also Animal Crossing and Mario Kart are partly under the responsibility of younger producers and are all phenomenal successes.
It’s good to know that Nintendo takes its time in prepping successors to key positions and give the younger generations a try whenever they can.

I don’t joke when I say that I trust Nintendo to keep themselves floating and properly manage their IPs

Well, Aonuma is training to be a anime swordsman...
images

So he most likely believes it's going to be Sakurai. Provided Sakurai doesn't become a minor by the time Furukawa steps down, that is.

inb4 "Actually, Sakurai doesn't work for Nintendo and only a minority of the roster are swordsman"

Yes, he did a great job.

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if he is a future Nintendo President.

I honestly always thought it was going to be Shinya Takahashi before they went with Furukawa.

Koizumi and Takahashi had big "Miyamoto and Iwata before Iwata was made president" energy.

I would absolutely trust the director of the IMPECCABLE Donkey Kong Jungle Beat to once again produce a stellar console for Nintendo

Totally missed this thread but I don't think it will be Koizumi. A lot of things has changed since 2017, Koizumi was promoted to a Executive Director and he is also Director at Nintendo Pictures.

The Producer is gonna be Kawamoto, this is safe bet. EPD4 is really a "Nintendo team" in the biggest way possible, things like IR Camera and HD Rumble are there just because of EPD4. Even the hardware team made fun of them if they are gonna use all of these features. The Director will be someone else, maybe a EPD face that isn't that well known as of now.

There's definitely more of a consortium of general producers that are responsible for each generation of Nintendo hardware, but there's always going to be a FACE chosen to represent the product.

I want Koizumi to remain the face for presenting the Switch 2. But if it's someone else, then I look forward to seeing what they're like.

Yeah for sure. Speaking of the next president, I want to see that one dude that Iwata randomly have on the Direct alongside him. Seem like he was trying to promote a successor but was too young when Iwata passed to get the position.

Back
Top Bottom