• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Do you ever worry they will go back to Super Mario Party style for Mario Party 12?

isaacmaltes

Octorok
Pronouns
any
I’ll get to the point, I don’t like Super Mario Party and I think it was overhyped (overhyped by myself, as well)

I think we got caught up in the idea that it was a “return to form” when in reality it was a “return to form” in the most arbitrary way possible.
Grid like boards, Stars cost 10 coins, Gold pipes ruin the game, etc

The only area where I think it went above and beyond was playable characters.

I think Mario Party Superstars had a much better system in play. It was not perfect but it came pretty darn close. I want an engine like that but with brand new or GameCube type board maps. Not Super Mario Party 2.

Do you think Nintendo will return to Super Mario Party style? And do you welcome it?

I mean I am okay with that. Honestly I really did enjoy Super Mario Party and the Mechanics that it offered. There were only like 2 things I didn't like about it, which was no online play, which was later fixed, and that the maps weren't all that great and felt really small. with the allies mechanic, it made it far too easy to go across the whole board in one roll. If they take those same mechanics and create bigger and better boards, whether it be grid base or not, I think you have a great game on your hands.

as for some of the other things you mentioned, I don't mind 10 coin stars, though maybe they should make that an option, and stuff like golden warps are fine, and honestly have been in games since mario party 2 with the magic lamp. Just, you know, make them a bit more expensive to get.

Honestly? I hope so! I loved Superstars but I think the GCN era shows that that concept is a bit of a dead end. Super Mario Party brings a lot to the table with its custom dice, allies, and team mode. I would love to see those concepts reevaluated and iterated on instead of just tossed aside.

I thought a lot of the issues were whatever. 10 coins per star made sense for the intended game length of 10 turns. 20 isn't like a gold standard or anything; it just made sense with the way the 64 games were designed.

I hope they bring back the orbs at some point. People never use them, but their potential is great.

I hope they will! When played in Partner Party mode, Super is the best Mario Party experience IMHO. The problem with Super is that the game was clearly made around Partner Party, and then they added other half-assed modes (including traditional Mario Party... which wasn't traditional Mario Party).

Give me a Partner Party with new minigames and at least 6 boards, and I'll be very very happy.

Balance the coin economy and custom dice and make more interesting maps and I and I can live with 1-6 dice and motion controls honestly. Heck just more interesting maps would be probably be enough for me.

I'd prefer something more like superstars, but I'd take anything over the cars.

Regardless I really hope the next game has new maps and minigames even if its another superstars style game. I'm sick of old content for now and most the good GC minigames are already tapped.

No because I like both series. I would love to see Nintendo and ND Cube go back and forth between Super Mario Party and Mario Party Superstars. Keep innovating with new entries while also going back to the traditional button controls and classic boards.

IMO, the best of both worlds is a win win for everyone.

ngl, as long as they don't go back to the car I'm not really that concerned. I actually think both the Switch Mario Parties are pretty good steps in the right direction in their own ways; they just share a common problem of not really having enough content, so my real worry is more that the next Mario Party will only have 4 or 5 boards again

I enjoyed Mario Party Superstars so much more than any MP game since they changed the formula, I'd be very disappointed if they leave it again. Mario Party Superstars is the true return to form.

No because I like both series. I would love to see Nintendo and ND Cube go back and forth between Super Mario Party and Mario Party Superstars. Keep innovating with new entries while also going back to the traditional button controls and classic boards.

IMO, the best of both worlds is a win win for everyone.
but why is that best of both worlds?

Why can’t we just have one single game that incorporates the best of both?

Super Mario Party’s roster and custom dice, but with Mario Party Superstars gameplay style and bigger boards

if you want a “win win” for everyone you’re also suggesting that Nintendo make a third Mario Party branch with the car gimmick since; yes, some people did like those games, and we’re counting everyone

So honestly I disagree with that critique. may be seem as a bit hostile, but I promise it isn’t; i’m just wondering why do this instead of just doing best of both in a single game?

Honestly, just keep doing something different. Change the formula again. Keep experimenting until they hit on something.
Superstars… wasn’t a hit?

Honestly? I hope so! I loved Superstars but I think the GCN era shows that that concept is a bit of a dead end. Super Mario Party brings a lot to the table with its custom dice, allies, and team mode. I would love to see those concepts reevaluated and iterated on instead of just tossed aside.

I thought a lot of the issues were whatever. 10 coins per star made sense for the intended game length of 10 turns. 20 isn't like a gold standard or anything; it just made sense with the way the 64 games were designed.
I don’t quite agree.
10 coins is way too cheap and ruins the economy.
You know what else is also 10 coins? Golden Pipes. Which are EVERYWHERE in Super Mario Party, even more than Mario Party Superstars.
20 coins per star I don’t think is just a boring rule or anything; it is nearly perfectly balanced for the economy a kind of game like Mario Party aims to be.

Custom dice blocks are cool, but god, dice up to 6 is so lame. My freinds straight up told me they get bored with barely moving around the already small board to begin with. They never complained about that with superstars.

as someone who likes it, I don’t worry at all…

EDIT: well, all I mean is that I don't think either one of them is for me, so I hope they just innovate even more.

Last edited:
I don’t quite agree.
10 coins is way too cheap and ruins the economy.
You know what else is also 10 coins? Golden Pipes. Which are EVERYWHERE in Super Mario Party, even more than Mario Party Superstars.
20 coins per star I don’t think is just a boring rule or anything; it is nearly perfectly balanced for the economy a kind of game like Mario Party aims to be.

Custom dice blocks are cool, but god, dice up to 6 is so lame. My freinds straight up told me they get bored with barely moving around the already small board to begin with. They never complained about that with superstars.
Agree to disagree. 20 coins would be a stretch for standard play given that you only have ten rounds to traverse the board. They basically compressed classic Mario Party so it only makes sense that the economy would be similarly compressed.

I’m a little surprised to hear your friends are bored with moving four fewer spaces than normal. Proportionally you’re moving just as much if not more than you do in regular Mario Party. Does that walking animation do a lot for them when it covers four spaces of extra ground in classic Mario Party?

Superstars wasn't actually that authentic to the original games with its board mechanics - I'd be surprised tbh if they "regressed" from it, it seems like a pretty smart "fusion" of old-style mechanics with a bit of the softer touch in newer games. Like, economy-wise I mean. It didn't feel like a remake, it just felt like a modern Mario Party. So, I could see it building off that but with some other major gimmick in a new game. Honestly, I'd be surprised if they actually named a new one "Super Mario Party 2". Not sure what they would call it but it just seems kind of pointlessly limiting to pretend like seperate sub-series have to be maintained rather than just... iterate.

I don't really worry about it, no. If they go back to the Super Mario Party style I just won't buy it. I'll be fine with Superstars, or even just going back the the N64 ones, for the foreseeable future. I don't need to get a new Mario Party every few years any more than I need to get a new version of a board game I already have. It's just a silly game to play when you're drunk, it doesn't matter if it's old.

Superstars is the classic formula so yeah obviously. I mean hit on something with a new one. I was kinda assuming that was the point of the thread. Mario Party Superstars is more of a reimagining/remake type deal IIRC.
I don’t think it has to be just a re-imagining/remake though. I honestly believe it is a solid foundation for a brand new game. Allow me to quote a post I saw later than described it rather well

Superstars wasn't actually that authentic to the original games with its board mechanics - I'd be surprised tbh if they "regressed" from it, it seems like a pretty smart "fusion" of old-style mechanics with a bit of the softer touch in newer games. Like, economy-wise I mean. It didn't feel like a remake, it just felt like a modern Mario Party. So, I could see it building off that but with some other major gimmick in a new game. Honestly, I'd be surprised if they actually named a new one "Super Mario Party 2". Not sure what they would call it but it just seems kind of pointlessly limiting to pretend like seperate sub-series have to be maintained rather than just... iterate.

I agree here. People tend to attribute Superstars to just “nostalgia” and “remakes of the oldies” but it’s honest to god a brand new engine and economy for the Mario Party series, it just had old boards. Not everything was like it was back in the old days, Superstars actually took a few cues from Super, like the Lucky Spaces.
Not every change from the originals was a winner; but I feel like Superstars earned it’s own identity in the end.

Agree to disagree. 20 coins would be a stretch for standard play given that you only have ten rounds to traverse the board. They basically compressed classic Mario Party so it only makes sense that the economy would be similarly compressed.

I’m a little surprised to hear your friends are bored with moving four fewer spaces than normal. Proportionally you’re moving just as much if not more than you do in regular Mario Party. Does that walking animation do a lot for them when it covers four spaces of extra ground in classic Mario Party?

I’m not sure if you’re inserting a passive aggresive comment with that animation thing; but to give you an honest reply, I think it’s a matter of feeling like they got nothing done in a turn. It’s a rather deflating experience. Nobody likes getting a 1. Even worse when your chances of a 1 are greater.

I haven't played a Mario Party since the GameCube but I have to admit "Super Mario Party" and "Mario Party Superstars" are hella confusing names

Not really. I think at worst they bring back mandatory motion-control mini-games, which I never had a problem with anyways since I grew up playing Mario Party 8.

I don't agree with this take at all, honestly. Classic MP used to be empty, super-random, and ultra-long, sure, but that doesn't mean that it as a series must maintain those aspects. Super revitalized MP and grew the audience by reducing the prevalence and severity of random events, tightening up the boards, and allowing more player agency, while Superstars regressed in both gameplay and playerbase.

IMO, Nintendo/NDCube was right to put aside preconceived notions on the series' typical length and imbalance to make Super a better and more enjoyable game. That said, although the joycons allowed for new and innovative mini games, I don't think Nintendo should/will make them a requirement again as many people prefer playing with traditional controllers.

Mario Party Superstars is fantastic in my opinion. I would love another one like that but just with more minigames and boards. Is it the best mario party? Idk probably not but its the best one we had in a looooong time.

As long as we dont have that car brought back from 9 and 10 I think were in the clear.

But yes super mario party was also bad. Not as bad as 9 and 10 but I think they will stick to the superstars format going forward!

I’m not sure if you’re inserting a passive aggresive comment with that animation thing; but to give you an honest reply, I think it’s a matter of feeling like they got nothing done in a turn. It’s a rather deflating experience. Nobody likes getting a 1. Even worse when your chances of a 1 are greater.
Apologies if it seemed passive aggressive; I was just generally bemused by your shared anecdote. It seemed really odd to me how much that bothered your friends is all! I get what you're saying about moving 1 space, though I think Super does the most to mitigate that by making the boards smaller and also by having the ally die to add to your total roll.

The dice personally never bothered me because I think the best change Super Mario Party made was squishing the boards down to a more appropriate size. The maps in Mario Party 3 onwards are so spread out that it often feels like you can go as many as 5-6 turns without anything interesting happening. It would have been great if the maps in Super were a little more interesting, but from a play perspective I thought they were a huge improvement.

I think Mario Party should lean more into the chaotic parts of Mario Party. Maybe there’s a selection at the start of each game for like “how much bullshit do you want?” Like if you max it out, blue spaces give you a random number of coins between -10 and +10. More random Chance Time spaces, with Chance Time having way more wild chances. Like “all stars go to X player“ or “all stars get pooled and divvy’d up evenly” or “player Y is eliminated from the game permanently and is now a ghost that can determine dice rolls from beyond the grave”

but why is that best of both worlds?

Why can’t we just have one single game that incorporates the best of both?

Super Mario Party’s roster and custom dice, but with Mario Party Superstars gameplay style and bigger boards

if you want a “win win” for everyone you’re also suggesting that Nintendo make a third Mario Party branch with the car gimmick since; yes, some people did like those games, and we’re counting everyone

So honestly I disagree with that critique. may be seem as a bit hostile, but I promise it isn’t; i’m just wondering why do this instead of just doing best of both in a single game?

No hostility felt at all friend!

The mini games in Super Mario Party are built largely with the Switch hardware in mind. This includes motion controls with the joycons, using two tablets at the same time in select mini games, and harnessing other functions of the joycons. Also, Super had extra modes that were tied specifically to the hardware like River Survival. I suppose that Nintendo could just package everything together for one mega game, but that probably doesn't allow for each version to get full fleshed out modes.

Also, unless I missed it, I do not think that the car gimmick was well received at all. Both Super Mario Party and Superstars are 10m+ sellers. The market clearly likes both games.

The custom dice created tier lists and some characters had advantages over others. It's a horrible mechanic for a Mario Party game.

I think Mario Party should lean more into the chaotic parts of Mario Party. Maybe there’s a selection at the start of each game for like “how much bullshit do you want?” Like if you max it out, blue spaces give you a random number of coins between -10 and +10. More random Chance Time spaces, with Chance Time having way more wild chances. Like “all stars go to X player“ or “all stars get pooled and divvy’d up evenly” or “player Y is eliminated from the game permanently and is now a ghost that can determine dice rolls from beyond the grave”
Easily the single best idea ever shared on Famiboards.

I just want Mario Party to be…
  1. more streamlined and speedy,
  2. take full advantage of the system’s features with its minigames, and
  3. support an actual party of more than just four players.
Super Mario Party does the first two decently enough (especially the second), but I’m still waiting for a Mario Party game that’s an actual, proper party game.

I think that the whole intention behind calling it "Mario Party Superstars" and not "Super Mario Party 2" is exactly because they had no intention of making the retro-focused game style into the default Mario Party style

they'll probably try to have 2 series going simultaneously, one for the new experimental stuff and the other for nostalgia blasting

on one hand I agree Mario Party doesn't go far enough but also we need more interesting chaos that players can influence and strategize about - you gotta be able to at least bet on the randomness

but yes "ghost player from beyond the grave" is something we're really not tapping the potential of

I just want Mario Party to be…
  1. more streamlined and speedy,
  2. take full advantage of the system’s features with its minigames, and
  3. support an actual party of more than just four players.
Super Mario Party does the first two decently enough (especially the second), but I’m still waiting for a Mario Party game that’s an actual, proper party game.

I dunno if I've shared it here already but I'm actually working on a 32-player Mario Party-like http://party32.com/ that's in a nearly playable state lol

It'll probably take years more to ever got polished enough to be super fun but what you're describing is kind of my goal

Quoted by: Tye
I dunno if I've shared it here already but I'm actually working on a 32-player Mario Party-like http://party32.com/ that's in a nearly playable state lol

It'll probably take years more to ever got polished enough to be super fun but what you're describing is kind of my goal
That’s awesome!! There’s a serious lack of “party” games that can truly accommodate an actual party, so it’s always great to see a real party game!

On Switch, of the games that I know, there’s pretty much just Everybody 1-2-Switch! and, to a lesser degree, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (though Smash Tour from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was much better for casual party play than anything in Ultimate, and it’s a real shame that they didn’t bring back that mode in Ultimate and bump it up to 8 players). Oh, and Runbow. Possibly Luigi’s Mansion 3, too, though I’ve not really put that one to the test with a decent amount of players yet so I’m not sure how well it actually works as a party game. You’d think there’d be more actual party games on Switch…but sadly that doesn’t seem to be the case.

EDIT: Oh, and I guess there’s the Jackbox games, too, of course. And the Super Bomberman R games. Still, that’s not much, and there’s a surprising lack of games like this from Nintendo themselves.

I'm surprised, out of all games, Nintendo didn't decide of adding an Map DLC pack or even small amount of updates in Super Mario Party.
Since i think Mario Party would benefited greatly of having a small booster pass system, that MK8 decided to do.

Heck all the sports games have small updates, but not mario party?

I honestly thought Nintendo was leaving money on the table with Superstars by not selling map packs as DLC. I would shill the hell out of that.

But I'm a psycho that wants more Mario Party games like Mario Party 1, one of the meanest-spirited games I've ever played.

That’s awesome!! There’s a serious lack of “party” games that can truly accommodate an actual party, so it’s always great to see a real party game!

On Switch, of the games that I know, there’s pretty much just Everybody 1-2-Switch! and, to a lesser degree, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (though Smash Tour from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was much better for casual party play than anything in Ultimate, and it’s a real shame that they didn’t bring back that mode in Ultimate and bump it up to 8 players). Oh, and Runbow. Possibly Luigi’s Mansion 3, too, though I’ve not really put that one to the test with a decent amount of players yet so I’m not sure how well it actually works as a party game. You’d think there’d be more actual party games on Switch…but sadly that doesn’t seem to be the case.

EDIT: Oh, and I guess there’s the Jackbox games, too, of course. And the Super Bomberman R games. Still, that’s not much, and there’s a surprising lack of games like this from Nintendo themselves.

I keep track of player counts for my games and you could check out the list 8 player games I have on Switch here https://eh-hem.net/videogames/switch#multi

There are some good indie titles like I just recently discovered "Fly Together", Pico Park is vastly underrated, and TowerFall and Killer Queen Black can be zany if you turn on variants or balance the teams well 🤔

I keep track of player counts for my games and you could check out the list 8 player games I have on Switch here https://eh-hem.net/videogames/switch#multi

There are some good indie titles like I just recently discovered "Fly Together", Pico Park is vastly underrated, and TowerFall and Killer Queen Black can be zany if you turn on variants or balance the teams well 🤔
Oh, neat! I have a spreadsheet where I record player count for my games, too—and then use that info to sort the games into HOME Menu Groups for Single System Versus, Single System Co-op, Local Wireless Versus, Local Wireless Co-op, Online Versus, and Online Co-op, ordered in each Group by number of players.

Back
Top Bottom