• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Disney Parks hosts a display of sports racism

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him

Disney yet again dropping the ball. Kids should not be allowed to say "scalp 'em" in any event, let alone one sanctioned by Disney.

What's the context? I'm not american but I'm guessing Indians are some college football team?
Not college, high school. The school system is Port Neches-Groves Independent School District out of Port Neches, Texas.

In general I’m loathe to blame Disney for the conduct of guests at its parks, simply because I’ve been on the receiving end of angry evangelicals calling for boycotts of Disney for simply allowing gay people into the parks during Gay Days, which people believe to be a Disney-sponsored event even though it’s not

But. There are words that you shouldn’t be able to say at the Happiest/Most Magical Place on Earth, and, uh, racial slurs and racially violent language are those words.

Someone should have found someone in authority and pulled them aside before this all went down and explained that, no, you can’t loudly chant that here.

Shame on Disney for allowing this, but also, shame on the Texas high schools that allow and teach this. It's absolutely disgusting that they're teaching insensitive and racist cheers to their students.

A Disney representative said that the high school had sent an audition tape with a different chant, which I believe because some of the students kicked up a fuss about Disney asking then not to wear headdress’s that are a part of this school’s standard cheer uniform.

That’s not to completely defend Disney though, because the tiniest bit of research about this school would have quickly told them that the school’s views do not line up with Disney’s desired image whatsoever.

But I’m glad this is going viral and the school is being put under a flame. The fact something like this is commonplace in a school of all places, and is being taught to students in such a ignorant and desensitized manner is really upsetting. Literally everything about this is racist - the uniforms, the dancing, and of course the chant itself. Just incredibly sad.

A Disney representative said that the high school had sent an audition tape with a different chant, which I believe because some of the students kicked up a fuss about Disney asking then not to wear headdress’s that are a part of this school’s standard cheer uniform.

That’s not to completely defend Disney though, because the tiniest bit of research about this school would have quickly told them that the school’s views do not line up with Disney’s desired image whatsoever.

But I’m glad this is going viral and the school is being put under a flame. The fact something like this is commonplace in a school of all places, and is being taught to students in such a ignorant and desensitized manner is really upsetting. Literally everything about this is racist - the uniforms, the dancing, and of course the chant itself. Just incredibly sad.
As a teacher, this is a lot more commonly taught in schools than the dreaded CRT boogeyman. And yet…

Back
Top Bottom