• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Digital Foundry || WRC 10 on Switch: Is It Really As Bad As People Say It is? + PS4/PS5 Next-Gen Features Tested

ILikeFeet

Warpstar Knight

A new port of WRC 10 lands on Switch - a few months following the PlayStation and Xbox release, and with serious cutbacks to features, controls and visuals. The core mechanics are intact, but just how far does this port compromise its settings to hit a stable 30fps? Tom finds out.
  • switch port released 6 months later
  • unknown.png
  • heavily cut back
  • ps4 - 1080p, DRS, TAA
  • switch - 648p-900p
    • car showcases are 720p
  • handhand - 480p-720p (mostly 480p)
  • no AA
  • texture quality is very cut down
  • crowds is less dense, ugly as shit
  • no screen space reflections
  • there are shadows, barely
  • plants have no shading
  • in some stages, it doesn't even look like the same track
  • lots of background elements are stripped out
  • pop-in is apparent in switch and ps4, worse on switch
  • LoD cut way the hell back on switch
  • car models are good at least
    • high res textures, reflections in car showcase mode
    • step down from PS4, but still good
  • no deformation on switch
  • side mirror reflections are there
  • audio is high quality unlike some switch ports (coughasscreedcough)
  • no multiplayer in switch mode
  • current gen is 60fps, 120fps on supported displays
  • quality mode - 2160/30
  • balanced - 1620-2160/60
    • dropped shadow quality
  • performance - 1080/120
    • even lower settings
  • quality mode is mostly draw distance/shadow quality over PS4
  • 7s load on ps5
  • 36s on ps4
  • 42s on switch
  • Switch maintain a stable 30fps outside of a couple stages
  • handheld framerates are worse; drops on stages that don't exist in docked mode
  • ps4 is a very stable 30fps but has some screen tearing
  • ps5 gets stable 30fps with no tearing
  • 60fps is very stable with no tearing
  • 120fps is very stable with some tearing in some stages
  • switch port is better than WWE2K18 or ARK at least

The game has been out for a while already. This feels like DF took the lowest hanging fruit.
there ain't that many ports that are as bad as this one. low-hanging fruit, but it's a lone branch and DF probably feels the need for more Switch content. they haven't covered the system all that much lately due to not-interesting releases

Well, at least they're doing something on Switch. EA and their subsidiary Codemasters straight up ignore the Switch, which is super unfair as they together own the racing game market. At least port some last gen stuff for cheap, Switch really needs some quality car racing games.

there ain't that many ports that are as bad as this one. low-hanging fruit, but it's a lone branch and DF probably feels the need for more Switch content. they haven't covered the system all that much lately due to not-interesting releases
What about Lego Star Wars? I haven’t heard of them touching the Switch version.

What about Lego Star Wars? I haven’t heard of them touching the Switch version.
that was definitely a weird omission, but I suspect it may be down to Mackenzie not having a switch to test it. similar as to how Battaglia rarely surveys Xbox games but does PS4/5 comparisons

I heard Grid Autosport is really really well done on Switch.
Done by Feral Interactive, same devs that did the Alien Isolation port that was also stellar.
Yeah i saw it, it seems like a great port. But i mean something made specifically for the switch, to really use everything it can offer : )

Yeah i saw it, it seems like a great port. But i mean something made specifically for the switch, to really use everything it can offer : )
unfortunately, such an audience hasn't been cultivated on nintendo systems in a long-ass time since it stopped receiving NFS games at the same time as everyone else (if it even gets them now)

This is not excusable. The switch is weaker than the ps4. But its not so much so it should look like that. Like thats just a bad port.
It's also a PS4/XBO game which targets 30fps. With DOOM, WOLF II, Fortnite, Warframe, FIFA and other last gen ports they could downgrade resolution aswell as halfing the framerate. In this case geometry, foliage, draw distance, shadow resolution and a variety of other visual features had to go to get it on Switch. We really need a Switch 2 right about now.

It's also a PS4/XBO game which targets 30fps. With DOOM, WOLF II, Fortnite, Warframe, FIFA and other last gen ports they could downgrade resolution aswell as halfing the framerate. In this case geometry, foliage, draw distance, shadow resolution and a variety of other visual features had to go to get it on Switch. We really need a Switch 2 right about now.
Don’t think a Switch 2 is going to stop shoddy ports. We’ll probably be having these same conversations then as well.

The thing is i get it needed downgrades. But their is no reason it needs that much of a downgrade that is like trying to port it to run on hardware from 2010.

Part of the problem with ports of sim racers like this is that the core of the gameplay relies heavily on the physics systems, and that's something you can't really cut back on, and physics simulation is heavily CPU intensive. So, in order to get the game running, you have to sacrifice a lot on the graphics side to keep the game intact. Obviously it could look better than it does, but it's not a total shock to me that a game like this looks as bad as it does, especially considering that the WRC devs are a relatively smaller team compared to say, Codemasters. Then again, the Switch version of WRC9 looks better than this from what I've seen, so this port is definitely a bit of a mess. Especially with the lack of analog triggers on Switch controllers (I know you can remap analog throttle to the right stick, but that always felt awkward in my experience).

Well, at least they're doing something on Switch. EA and their subsidiary Codemasters straight up ignore the Switch, which is super unfair as they together own the racing game market. At least port some last gen stuff for cheap, Switch really needs some quality car racing games.

This is where licensing rears its ugly head I'm afraid. Of EA's last gen racers, only 5 (thanks Ojoloco) by my count (Burnout Paradise, NFS Hot Pursuit 2010, NFS Most Wanted 2012, NFS Rivals, and Grid Autosport) are still for sale, and of those, 3 are already on Switch, with Most Wanted being the only remaining one that I see getting ported at some point. With how conservative EA is with Switch ports, I can't see them spending the time and money to renew the licensing for these older games (not to mention that few are gonna be interested in stuff like old F1 games) on top of the porting efforts.

Last edited:
This comes across as a little too conspiratorial against a relatively well known and regarded outlet - it might be a good idea to take a step back from this one and take a broader view of the topic, or disengage for awhile - Donnie, hologram, blondkayvon
yeah, but I think they always choose these stupidly bad ports to make a video in the hope it gets viral among those people that live to spread how weak is the Switch.

Theh there's games that target 30FPS on PS4/Xbox One that also hits 30fps on Switch so that excuse is half assed.

Yes a Switch 2 would be welcome for all the obvious reasons, that doesnt take away that this is outright a bad port.

yeah, but I think they always choose these stupidly bad ports to make a video in the hope it gets viral among those people that live to spread how weak is the Switch.
This is a malicious allegation.
On the contrary, they are going out of their way to put things into perspective regarding the Switch and its unique position. Especially John Linneman. This is just a weak port.

Part of the problem with ports of sim racers like this is that the core of the gameplay relies heavily on the physics systems, and that's something you can't really cut back on, and physics simulation is heavily CPU intensive. So, in order to get the game running, you have to sacrifice a lot on the graphics side to keep the game intact. Obviously it could look better than it does, but it's not a total shock to me that a game like this looks as bad as it does, especially considering that the WRC devs are a relatively smaller team compared to say, Codemasters. Then again, the Switch version of WRC9 looks better than this from what I've seen, so this port is definitely a bit of a mess. Especially with the lack of analog triggers on Switch controllers (I know you can remap analog throttle to the right stick, but that always felt awkward in my experience).

This is where licensing rears its ugly head I'm afraid. Of EA's last gen racers, only 4 by my count (NFS Hot Pursuit 2010, NFS Most Wanted 2012, NFS Rivals, and Grid Autosport) are still for sale, and of those, 2 are already on Switch, with Most Wanted being the only remaining one that I see getting ported at some point. With how conservative EA is with Switch ports, I can't see them spending the time and money to renew the licensing for these older games (not to mention that few are gonna be interested in stuff like old F1 games) on top of the porting efforts.
You forgot Burnout Paradise

DF are the channel who have made more videos than anyone else highlighting the best Switch games/ports, what makes them look so good on the Switch, and how to make the most of the hardware. See their videos on Kirby, Luigi's Mansion 3, Odyssey, Dying Light, etc.

That they also do video like this highlighting the worst ports on the Switch on no way represents an attempt to go viral on Switch negativity, and instead of simply them showing instances where more work needed to be done to make the game run on Switch.

The channel does exceptional work, and this attempt by a number of users to paint them as console warring hacks is just sad.

Keep DFs name out your fudging mouth.

Is WRC 10 such a big deal or why are some of y'all getting so worked up over this title in particular? I really don't see the reason why this should be the make-or-break case for either DF or the Switch at this point.

Is WRC 10 such a big deal or why are some of y'all getting so worked up over this title in particular? I really don't see the reason why this should be the make-or-break case for either DF or the Switch at this point.
Is more like a curiosity.

Still, the WRC9 was a better port than the new one, so it's pretty ironic.

The thing is i get it needed downgrades. But their is no reason it needs that much of a downgrade that is like trying to port it to run on hardware from 2010.
Well you can’t know that unless you have access to a Switch development kit and see what the engine runs like.

People don’t like hearing it but I’ve heard it several times from the mouths of current developers - Switch hardware is far more in the realm of PS360 than it is PS4XBO.

Switch has 10watts of electricity to work with and it does an admirable job but in terms of raw grunt it’s roughly 4x weaker than a base Xbox One and outside of supporting modern tools and engines like UE4 it’s not much more powerful than PS360. I’ve heard it described by developers as a 360 with an updated GPU and more RAM.

This is why it runs most PS360 ports better than the originals like Dark Souls or Bayonetta but really struggles with PS4XBO ports especially if those games target 30fps on Sony and MS’s consoles.

There’s very little wiggle room outside of using more basic meshes, lower res textures, lower res shadows, massively downgrading foliage while at times using lower precision lighting. That’s all on top of lower resolutions and framerates that drop to 25fps and 480p.

Developers are not lazy. They simply cannot do the impossible for certain ports. I’ve seen people mention The Witcher 3 port while forgetting that in racing games they’re moving about 10 times faster through the world which is being rendered in front of them.

Don’t think a Switch 2 is going to stop shoddy ports. We’ll probably be having these same conversations then as well.
Switch 2 is going to be at least 6 times more powerful than Switch with DLSS on top. It will have many more PS4XBO ports and ones that run at times better than the originals just like PS360 ports on the current Switch but as we move into 2024 and PS5/Series console ports start to happen we’ll see the same situation as we’re in now. That’s the nature of building a handheld that can run on a tv. Electricity and heat will always limit you.

Theh there's games that target 30FPS on PS4/Xbox One that also hits 30fps on Switch so that excuse is half assed.

Yes a Switch 2 would be welcome for all the obvious reasons, that doesnt take away that this is outright a bad port.
Which ports? There will be massive compromises.

This is why I'm happy I got a PS5. The Switch alone just isn't capable of providing the racing games I like, between the bad visuals and the lack of analog triggers.

Besides the car models, which look pretty dang good on the Switch, this version of WRC actually does look pretty close to GT4.

The analog triggers could be a big handicap if you are used to playing this type of games on other platforms

Last edited:
I heard Grid Autosport is really really well done on Switch.
Done by Feral Interactive, same devs that did the Alien Isolation port that was also stellar.
It's VERY well done, to the point It even supports analog triggers with the Gamecube adapter, and added support for the Labo wheel afterwards.

Switch 2 is going to be at least 6 times more powerful than Switch with DLSS on top. It will have many more PS4XBO ports and ones that run at times better than the originals just like PS360 ports on the current Switch but as we move into 2024 and PS5/Series console ports start to happen we’ll see the same situation as we’re in now. That’s the nature of building a handheld that can run on a tv. Electricity and heat will always limit you.
I’ve been following the Switch 2 hardware so I know what people are expecting and I know the limitations of mobile hardware thank you. I’m just saying that just because the Switch 2 will be more powerful don’t be surprised by publishers putting out shoddy ports again even if the console can handle it. As we see already with the Switch games that should look like they run fine do not.

I’ve been following the Switch 2 hardware so I know what people are expecting and I know the limitations of mobile hardware thank you. I’m just saying that just because the Switch 2 will be more powerful don’t be surprised by publishers putting out shoddy ports again even if the console can handle it. As we see already with the Switch games that should look like they run fine do not.
A "shoddy port" of this game (which I don't think it is) would look better than the base PS4 version on the next Switch due to the leap in technology from 2015 mobile hardware to 2022 mobile hardware and DLSS. It would probably run at 60fps in a performance mode too.

Developers get such a hard time online. They have almost impossible deadlines, awful working hours / conditions then at times extremely challenging projects like this one. They then go online and read people call their work "shoddy" or "lazy"...

Never knew about this game but the PS4 version already looks really bad when compared to other racing games.
Truth. It was parte of past month's PS plus games (or maybe the month before) and got honestly dissapointed. Not graphically but gameplay wise. The controls are too twitchy compared to Dirt Rally or even Dirt 5. The game doesn't makes itself any favors.

In fact, It threw me off the series overall. I wanted to get a rally game for Switch and decided agaisnt getting any WRC entry.

Hopelessly waiting for EA to port the first Dirt Rally, that game ran at 60 los settings on my FX 4300

Which ports? There will be massive compromises.
Off the top of my head, Dragon Quest XI, Hellblade, Dying Light, Witcher 3, Yooka Laylee, World War Z, Starlink, Alien Isolation, Spyro Reignited, Crash N.Sane Trilogy, Crash Team Racing remake, Vampyr, Subnautica.

There are also 60fps PS4/Xbone games that remain 60fps on Switch, such as Rogue Company, Ori 1/2, Rocket League, Paladins, Mortal Kombat 11.

WRC 10 is just a crappy port.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom