• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Digital Foundry - Nintendo Switch OLED Model Review: A Brilliant Display Upgrade, But Is That Enough?

This "local dimming" tech is really promising. Horror games will feel actually scary when played in the dark. Great timing, OLED and Fatal Frame 5 will be a perfect combination this halloween.

This "local dimming" tech is really promising. Horror games will feel actually scary when played in the dark. Great timing, OLED and Fatal Frame 5 will be a perfect combination this halloween.
Ugh don't give me another reason to want to spend $350 that I don't have.

For me with every review I’ve seen it comes down to how you play. If you are a mainly handheld gamer than this model is for you without question. It is very sad there isn’t any sort of spec improvements. I’m not sure when and how that is going to happen. Me personally I’m good with OLED model for the next couple years.

Yeah, I want it, but I don't have a good enough excuse and would regret it probably next year.
i had the preorder locked in and cancelled it last week. i’m sure it’s really nice — this review makes me want it, for sure — but it’s not really a must have for me at this point. (i’m also one of those weirdos that digs the smaller form factor and feel of the switch lite.)

as a launch switch owner, definitely gonna feel this upgrade even without improved performance, the battery life alone will be a nice get.

Yeah, also got a launch Switch, and play roughly 60% handheld / 40% docked (varies wildly depending on the kind of game, though), so getting this is a no-brainer for me. I will get the all the SwOLED improvements along with better autonomy. My current Switch is in excellent condition, but I might as well sell it off while it's still worth something and get a better model for my needs.

I'm not getting it cause I still believe in a substantial upgrade next year.
But damn as mainly handheld player I'm tempted.

I am 99% handheld and I didn't even consider getting this, largely because I, uh... already have too many Switches. (listen that Animal Crossing one was too good to pass up) As much as I would like a bigger and nicer screen, it was just too difficult to justify spending that much more money on a machine that otherwise had no new capabilities beyond the ones I already own. However, hopefully Nintendo includes a similar screen in a Switch successor, which I'm more than happy to wait for instead.

Good review. Not for me but I'm sure new Switch owners will get a kick out of of that new screen.

Really wish I had pre-ordered one when I had a chance. My launch Switch is really starting to show its age.
ALWAYS pre-order. You can always cancel. I was on the fence and glad I did. As a handheld gamer this is going to be amazing.

Looks cool but yeah at this point I'm just waiting for the next console.

Although it's not like I even have a choice, I'm broke right now lol

I really wish it wasn't more expensive, but it definitely seems like a good model. Love that they compared it to the Vita, it's good to know how far OLED screens have come since then.

It’s too expensive for me, but since I’m on a Lite and handheld-only I’d appreciate it just for the bigger screen. That, and having had a fat Vita, I know games are going to look so good on this screen.

Sounds like great upgrade for handheld users, but I play mostly in docked mode so nothing new for me.

Still on my launch Switch, which has served me nicely, The thing is still working perfectly fine except for a few left joy con replacements. It's a good time to upgrade to a bigger screen and better battery life. I don't care about a possible upgrade next year. Life is too short to delay things. I will be there day one for a 4K Switch too.

Back
Top Bottom