• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Digital Foundry || Bright Memory Infinite - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs Nintendo Switch!

ILikeFeet

Warpstar Knight

This one's VERY interesting! One of the games that kicked off Microsoft's introduction to next generation gaming has finally arrived - and it's not just available for Xbox Series consoles, it's also out now on PlayStation 5 and... Nintendo Switch? How do the three 'current-gen' console versions compare? What about the ray tracing and 120Hz support? And if this is a game designed for the new wave of consoles, how on earth has the developer delivered a port for Nintendo Switch? John Linneman has the answers.

summary might be a bit late
  • made primarily by one person on UE4
  • pc version uses Nvidia's RiSTIR GI solution RT AO and shadows, consoles do not
  • RT reflections on consoles and pc
  • light leaking on console
  • PC has additional mesh detail
  • PC has more reflective surfaces and rougher RT reflections than consoles
  • consoles has more foliage in some areas
  • console has ghosting through it's TAA
  • best systems order: SX, PS5, SS, Switch
  • no RT or 120Hz on Series S
  • RT reflections are low res, but better than SSR due to the many wet surfaces
  • BVH is missing some objects like particles
  • SX
    • dynamic 2160p in default and RT modes
    • 120hz is dynamic 1440p
  • PS5
    • dynamic 2160p in both, dips more
    • 120hz drops to around 80% of 1440p
  • SS
    • default mode only; around 80-90% of 1440p
  • Switch
    • default mode only, 80% of 1080p/720p
    • minimal dof, lights removed, lower texture quality
    • no underwater distortion
    • scene complexity is greatly reduced
    • lower than low on pc
  • all systems have adjustable motion blur and fov
  • performance
    • SX
      • default: 60fps with no dips
      • RT: mainly 60fps with some drops, some segments can cause bigger drops
      • 120hz: mainly 120fps with some drops
    • PS5
      • default: similar
      • RT: similar
      • 120hz: you need to set ps5 to performance mode, outside of the game; can't hold 120hz
    • SS
      • default: similar
    • switch
      • default: mainly 30, but poor frame pacing
    • some bugs, like crash to dashboard; some scenes start at 30fps, and need to be reset
  • impressive work for such a minimal dev team, but also inherits the issues with a minimal dev team aspiring to something greater
  • 2 hours, $20, very fun
  • don't disable vsync. it's trash

Last edited:
Thanks as always for the roundup! I like your notes better than the actual videos lol. I think I'm going to pick this up on Series S; seems like a looker!

Having played through the game on Switch, it's one of the most graphically impressive games on the system, a cut above even most PS4/Xbone ports in terms of fidelity and performance.
That it's largely created by one guy is incredible.

The cuts may sound bad compared to the other consoles, but bear in mind the hardware in question; comparing Switch to PS5/Xbox Series is kinda like comparing the Vita to PS4/Xbox One. The fact they're even comparable is almost a miracle in itself.

Yeah, looking at what the Switch is up against here/how it stacks up in comparison, I think this is an absolutely great conversion of the game to the platform. The fact that it is on there at all is pretty impressive in and of itself! Being a competent port as well just makes it even more impressive.

Yeah, I'd rather play it on PC, but you really gotta give them props for how good this looks on Switch.

Looks like people who only have Switch, or who primarily play on Switch, got themselves a pretty solid conversion.

As someone who grew up playing a lot of "console" games like Tony Hawk and Spyro on GBA, I gotta say that kids got it real good when it comes to handheld gaming these days lol

Don't get me wrong, I'll always treasure those GBA memories <3

I'm weirded out that the initial Switch trailer for this game showed 60 FPS footage. Game looks good on Switch anyway.

Back
Top Bottom