• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Retro Daytona USA 2 is getting it's first console port as part of Like a Dragon: Gaiden (under the name "SEGA Racing Classic 2")

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
page1-464px-DaytonaUSA2_Model3_US_Flyer.pdf.jpg

sourced from this week's issue of Famitsu, Fighting Vipers 2 (which got a Dreamcast port) is also included.

the last formerly arcade exclusive to get thrown into the series was the inclusion of Motor Raid in Judgment. (though i've heard it might have been initally intended as part of the 360/PS3 "Model 2 Collection" which the series uses as a base for it's emulated Model 2 games.)
the "SEGA Racing Classic" branding has been a thing since the original game. the story goes it was still massively popular in arcades by 2009. and owners were begging for more units. however SEGA could no longer manfacture Model 2 hardware and had lost the Daytona license, so the game was ported to the more modern Ringwide hardware and was scrubbed of all references to the International Speedway Corporation.

they were briefly able to get Daytona's approval some time afterwards, which lead to the 2011 Xbox 360 and PS3 ports.

combined with the surprise inclusion of SG-1000 games, this is turning out to be the biggest installment of the series for game preservation.

Yeah this is amazing news. Makes me think even more ambitiously what might be in 8...SpikeOut? Planet Harriers? The Ocean Hunter? Slashout? Scud Race? Long may this initiative continue lol.

Spikeout is rumored to be included in Like A Dragon 8

đź‘€

from what i can tell, the inital rumors about Daytona USA 2 seems like something that was floating around Japanese insider circles before Famitsu confirmed it.

as for the significance of Spikeout, it was designed by Toshihiro Nagoshi prior to him getting involved with LAD, with it's 3D Brawler mechanics being used as a clear inspiration for the series default combat style prior to 7. (another smaller bump in that road is Rent-A-Hero No. 1, as while it lacks Nagoshi's direct involvement, it uses Spikeout's combat engine and adds in the other elements you'd expect from a Like A Dragon game, such as the focus on exploring Japanese locales and engaging in bizzare sidequests.)
like Daytona USA 2, the game never received a console port. though there was at least an Xbox exclusive spin-off game.

đź‘€

from what i can tell, the inital rumors about Daytona USA 2 seems like something that was floating around Japanese insider circles before Famitsu confirmed it.

as for the significance of Spikeout, it was designed by Toshihiro Nagoshi prior to him getting involved with LAD, with it's 3D Brawler mechanics being used as a clear inspiration for the series default combat style prior to 7. (another smaller bump in that road is Rent-A-Hero No. 1, as while it lacks Nagoshi's direct involvement, it uses Spikeout's combat engine and adds in the other elements you'd expect from a Like A Dragon game, such as the focus on exploring Japanese locales and engaging in bizzare sidequests.)
like Daytona USA 2, the game never received a console port. though there was at least an Xbox exclusive spin-off game.

I've never played SpikeOut, so if this is true that would be extremely hype indeed. Nagoshi once confirmed that a Dreamcast port was in the works at some point but got canceled, so this would be the first time it would be re-released.

SEGA has expressed interest in adding NAOMI (Dreamcast arcade hardware) games to future installments
Sega of America: Are there any arcade games that haven’t yet made it into the Like a Dragon series Club Sega that you’d like to include in the future?

Sakamoto
: In the future, I would like to try to include games on the NAOMI system, which is the successor to Model 3 and based off the Dreamcast system. I wonder if anyone else would like to see that as well…
buried in an otherwise basic (aside from the sad mention that CLUB SEGA locations no longer exist in real life) interview on the official Xbox blog.

the cross-platform nature of it's design meant that a lot of titles on it were inevitably ported to the Dreamcast. but there are a few oddball exclusives stuck on the platform like Monkey Ball (Super Monkey Ball is more of a full remake than a direct port) and Slashout.

Back
Top Bottom