• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

RTTP Darker Side of the Moon - I finally did it!!

(Returned to the party)

Nabbit

Heading to Lorule? Rent your equipment here!
やった!やっとできた!

Phew! Just a few minutes ago I finally beat DSOM in Super Mario Odyssey and I am elated. I'm just kind of exhaling right now and I feel a deep sense of calm and satisfaction.

I first played SMO at launch in October 2017 with my SO and by early December 2017 we had beaten everything but this last level. We alternated levels in Single Player, with the exception of that volleyball moon that is much more doable with Cappy. I remember parts of the game we absolutely loved, like the Shiverians and Bowser's Castle, and some parts we were not as psyched with. Just open world in general is less appealing to me for 3D Mario than course-based like SMG/2 and 3DW.

I tried DSOM a bunch of times back then and just could not get past the part with Glydon. I think just once or twice I might have made it to the forks just after that, or possibly the pipe with the little hedgehog guys. At that point I just felt like each retry took such a long time. Especially since I think I was doing the miniboss for 6 hearts at the beginning.

I always planned to go back and try it again. I said the same thing about the final two levels in 3DW though and never did get back to them yet. In the intervening years though, in early 2020 after playing 99% of Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair I spent weeks trying to beat the titular Lair (pre-patch). Those attempts took like 15-30 minutes at times. I was really happy to finally beat that at the time.

A couple years ago we tried our first roguelite in the form of Dicey Dungeons. Until that point the idea of losing such a long interval of progress just did not jive with my gaming sensibilities. We got completely addicted to DD and I think that led us to being open to a roguelite platformer in the form of Shovel Knight Dig, which we tried and both eventually beat in the past couple months. I decided to try SMO again when we were mid-Dig, because I reasoned to myself that it was sort of like a roguelite in that you lose lots of progress but learn something. I recognize this comparison only goes so far, though.

Anyway, on a long plane ride I decided to give it another shot. It took some time for me to re-learn the game mechanics and nuances of movement. I was trying it frequently for a month or so and eventually got to the Pokio part, including being able to wait to get 6 hearts from the Sphinx. I also did look up about the Pokio spin jump thing which was helpful but I was having trouble executing it.

I haven't gotten to try it again until today and I had a few pretty good runs but felt like I was on the verge of needing a bit of a break, and decided to give it one more go. I finally passed the Pokio part... got to the ridiculously cool DK/2D Mario section... then the final Bowser section... and that was it. I did it. I just had to tell y'all here at Famiboards because when you're here, you're fami, right?

I'd love to hear about others' experiences with this level and/or other challenging Mario levels. Extra thanks to those who threw me a Yeah! when I posted in the weekend gaming thread about my efforts to beat this level. Wahoo!

This one wasn't too bad for me, took me a little while but the main section that gave me trouble was the Pokio bit. I haven't played the final level from Galaxy 2, but Champion's Road still stumps me without a Tanooki Suit. The lasers in the last section of that level are a nightmare.

I liked this level a good deal and really enjoyed how it worked in so many of the captures. It’s been a little while now since I last played it (iirc the year Bowser’s Fury came out?), but I seem to remember the Pokio section being a little tricky even though I normally love the little guy. I was let down it wasn’t as tough as Champion’s Road, but still a great time overall and the final climb is a great finale to your journey if you make it one.

I've never really made progress in Champion's Road for some reason so I'm looking forward to trying it again. It's a bit shorter than DSM, right? I'm thinking of the time limit dynamic. Kudos to you both for beating it!

I also have been working on going back to Captain Toad to 100% it, so I plan to attempt its own secret super hard level then too.

Darker side is fantastic, but Champion's Road is truly on another level.

I'm very proud of myself to have beaten it thrice with Mario.

I cried when you climb the building at the very end and the music plays. Felt like saying goodbye to an old friend somehow.

Same here, it's also the realisation that this fantastic game is ending that hits hard.

And here we are, almost 8 years later and no sequel lol.

mario-world-super-player-e.png

I cried when you climb the building at the very end and the music plays. Felt like saying goodbye to an old friend somehow.

Same here, it's also the realisation that this fantastic game is ending that hits hard.

And here we are, almost 8 years later and no sequel lol.
I was really surprised how affecting that moment was. The 2D Mario segment hit me hard, too, harkening back to Donkey Kong.

That's awesome, congrats! Unfortunately I think Champion's Road is much harder than this one lol, I didn't even bother with it. Tedious unlock condition too. But if you do beat it, let us know!

I also used Cappy for the volleyball moon. And a glitch that freezes Mario midair for the jump rope one. Ain't nobody got time for that

That's awesome, congrats! Unfortunately I think Champion's Road is much harder than this one lol, I didn't even bother with it. Tedious unlock condition too. But if you do beat it, let us know!

I also used Cappy for the volleyball moon. And a glitch that freezes Mario midair for the jump rope one. Ain't nobody got time for that
I have Champion's Road unlocked, so I'm okay on that front at least! I never could make it very far at all. We played as Luigi for the whole game, especially with it having been the Year of Luigi at the time. I think trying CR with Luigi's floaty jump made it even more impossible feeling. I want to replay 3DW as another character, possibly Toad, but haven't gotten around to that yet. I found the Mystery House Marathon level totally impossible too.

The jump rope thing is probably just as hard as DSM. That one took forever and I did the scooter trick, which was definitely not foolproof, lol.

Reading your reply also reminded me I have 3 levels left in Wonder. I'm stuck on the beat block level but I know that should be super doable compared to some other 2D platforming gauntlets. That and the volleyball moon were just so absurdly difficult. No idea how those made it through playtesting as a Moon and not just a minigame.

I'm pretty sure the last time I played this game was when I beat Darker Side. My kid really wanted to see the true ending and it took many attempts. Was able to do the first section pretty much blindfolded by the end, lol.

I'm pretty sure the last time I played this game was when I beat Darker Side. My kid really wanted to see the true ending and it took many attempts. Was able to do the first section pretty much blindfolded by the end, lol.
Near-blindfolded is incredible. Well done! It felt really good to get better at the level and no longer need the 6 hearts at the beginning.

I still can’t do that fucking jump rope challenge

Yes I even tried to cheat it with the moped
Yeah it's absurdly difficult, lol. I did the moped trick and it still took forever. I remember reading about how the music didn't match the pace after the first 30 seconds or something like that that makes it even harder to time.

Back
Top Bottom