• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Deals D3's THE Bass Fishing for Switch (a legit SIMPLE Series game) by Tachyon is 50% off on the NA eShop ($7.49 USD)

Hero of Legend

Like Like
Pronouns
He/Him

I ahem, BIT on the deal after some deciding. Just played the first tutorial mission (catch 2 Bluegills) and it seems to run smoothly. It's 30fps (sad when the PS2 predecessor by Vingt et Un Systems was 60fps seemingly), but you get both classic button controls, and of course motion controls.

In Japan it just got a proper retail release under the just began this year "SIMPLE Series for Nintendo Switch" line, this being Vol. 3 (PS2 original for comparison):

the-bass-fishing-english-735635.1.jpg
51W471AQHBL._AC_.jpg

Here's footage from when it launched:

The game's at 1.1.2 so it must've gotten a patch or two since, since it looks notably smoother/more consistent 30fps than the video, which is a relief.

It may not be Sega Bass Fishing OF THE DEAD but it seems to so far be a fine alternative at a nice budget price. Pretty wicked to see this revived specifically on Switch which makes the most sense with the motion controls, casual nature, and classic arcade fun of the genre IMO.

I am curious as to why Vingt et Un Systems didn't seemingly work on this when they still exist, but they seem to only have 8 people these days so who knows. Tachyon's not a bad pick as they did all the recent Reel Fishing games for Natsume since the 3DS game. SIMS though have been dead silent since 2019, I hope they're still active...

I guess you could consider this a real

bass drop

might legit cop this. Could use a basic fishing game in my life!!

Waiting for impressions before dropping $10 CAD….
I still need to put more time into it, but the first bit I played was alright. Using buttons, you cast with ZR, use the face buttons to do varying reeling in speeds, move up the left stick when hooking, and in classic fashion reel the fish before the line breaks.

I found the fish is easier to reel when moving the stick left and right rapidly, rather than one direction at a time, but you'll get a better idea which direction to tilt the stick when watching the line break gauge.

Again the game seems to run at a smooth 30fps (smoother than the video in the OP was at launch), which is odd as it's hardly better looking than a Wii game. Maybe Tachyon had issues getting it at a smooth 60fps and cut their losses and just stuck to 30fps. Shame, would've made it even better I feel. It runs on Unity so who knows if that was a factor at all (not that Unity can't run in 60fps on Switch, but I've always heard the engine wasn't the easiest to optimize on really any console).

I wonder what the first two SIMPLE series games are
the Simple series is a massive, long-running series of budget titles published by D3 that dates back to the PS1—there’s a pretty huge variety of stuff in it but some stuff you might’ve heard of like Earth Defense Force is technically part of or spun off from it

the other one on Switch (at least the only other one available outside Japan) is “THE Table Game” which looks kinda fun (it’s got mahjong) and is also on sale at the moment

I finally found a vid with the credits for the game:

I'll compile them here, I'll look into submitting them to MobyGames soon enough:

-producer-
Kiyoshi TANAKA

SIMPLE SERIES Chief Producer
Nobuyuki OKAJIMA

-development-
tachyon Inc.

-Graphic Design-
Takumi Matsuura
Atsushi Miyazaki
Takumi Sakamoto
Chiho Sakamoto

-Game Program-