• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Cyan Worlds is finally remaking Riven: The Sequel to Myst

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

(yes, "the sequel to myst" really was part of the original title back then.)

the original Myst has repeatedly gotten remade over the past few years. First with the masterpiece edition back in 1999.
200962-myst-masterpiece-edition-windows-screenshot-starting-out.jpg

With "realmyst" coming a year later, replacing the pre-rendered graphics with real time 3D.
562862-real-myst-ipad-screenshot-game-start-on-the-dock.jpg

realmyst then got it's own "masterpiece edition" in 2014, with enhanced textures and a port to the Unity engine.
691787-realmyst-masterpiece-edition-windows-screenshot-game-start.jpg

then they did another realtime 3D remake designed for VR headsets (with the option to play on standard screens later.) in 2020.
954CE493C93C68048AA04DB2068DFFDAC0947167

through all of this, the later games in the series never got similar enhancements. though they were still readily available for purchase, a fanmade attempt, known as the "Starry Expanse Project" started back in 2010.
hut2.png

but this will finally be changing at some point in the future. this official version will be using some of the Starry Expanse teams work as inspiration, and they also hired several devs from that project to work on it.

no word on the release date or platforms, but realmyst did at least get a Switch port fairly recently.

Wow, I'll be damned! They actually remembered that they made more games than just Myst. Took them long enough.

YEEEEEEEEEAH

SOO pumped for this. Hope the latest MYST Remake gets a Switch port too! If it can run on Quest...

officially titled "Riven: New Discoveries from the Lost D’ni Empire"

Uncover a story of intrigue, betrayal, and a civilization teetering on the brink of collapse as you solve intricate puzzles to unlock the secrets of Riven. Built from the ground-up and expanded from the award-winning original game released in 1997.
that's right, it's no longer just "The Sequel to Myst". they gave it a proper subtitle.
they also provided some screenshots.
ss_5a59ea9c7a73bd9434d4bdfb1775d51a5a0828bb.jpg

ss_f00ec73541f3221d2b26632da5099026f87ce1b3.jpg

ss_29645c79d3b89273d8a67241bb3825f68605a8a4.jpg

still looking forward to this

that subtitle is a mess though

I get why it had one at the time, but it sure doesn’t need one now

Never played this series but they seem interesting, I might try the Myst port on Switch sometime

WHoa this is the first I've heard about this. This is awesome news. Maybe this will finally encourage me to get around to reading the books in anticipation.

Back
Top Bottom