• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews CRISIS CORE –FINAL FANTASY VII– REUNION Review Thread

Belinda Blumenthal

Sales Director
Eurogamer
Ed Nightingale
Recommended
A sensitive remaster of the PSP prequel that's recontextualised in the wake of Remake.
PC Gamer
Kerry Brunskill
86 / 100
An excellent remake, prequel, and game in its own right-Crisis Core has it all.
GameSpot
Jessica Howard
8 / 10
Crisis Core Reunion triumphs in transforming a PSP classic into a modern-day must-play, especially for fans of the Final Fantasy VII saga.
Talent won, it seems!

alaUfs1.gif

Now 79 on OpenCritic. Still talented imo!

Last edited:
I greatly disliked the original but this seems like a good time. Great idea to take some inspiration from FFVII Remake for the new combat system.
I've never played the original, but in 2020 I played the original FFVII for the first time followed by Remake in April of that year, so I'm quite excited for this. I know that it has a reputation for melodrama and further complication of the FFVII universe but I'm still looking forward to it.

I've never played the original, but in 2020 I played the original FFVII for the first time followed by Remake in April of that year, so I'm quite excited for this. I know that it has a reputation for melodrama and further complication of the FFVII universe but I'm still looking forward to it.
I don't know how close to the original it is in terms of story but it's best to just see this as an opportunity to spend time with Zack.

Kinda surprised the embargo dropped so early, got my hopes up that it was out this week, haha. Still looking forward to it.
I don't know how close to the original it is in terms of story but it's best to just see this as an opportunity to spend time with Zack.
There's apparently no change to the story at all, down to the game using the same English script as the PSP original.

Guessing there are no Switch reviews yet? Did a quick search on YouTube and couldn't see any.
None yet, but I would keep an eye out for The Mako Reactor - when they do their reviews, they usually do an overview of how the game runs on Playstation, Steam Deck, and Switch. They did it with Persona 5 and Harvestella iirc and a few others!

None yet, but I would keep an eye out for The Mako Reactor - when they do their reviews, they usually do an overview of how the game runs on Playstation, Steam Deck, and Switch. They did it with Persona 5 and Harvestella iirc and a few others!

Thanks so much, will keep an eye out!

If I end up getting this it'll probably be on Xbox but I'm still curious to see it run on Switch. The footage in the Direct trailer looked fine but I don't think it was from the game running on a Switch.

Said it before but yeah, enjoy the game guys.

I won't because it's one the JRPG I hated the most with Star Ocean The Last Hope. But I think I like SO The Last Hope more because I liked the fighting system (like in most Star Ocean games).

It's one of those cases where I feel kinda alone and nobody seems to think about anything but how cool Sephiroth, Angel & Genesis are.

c47b7228b084d5e3d8d8f1cedbe69401

Yes, that one. GENESIS !

Oh oh, his name is The Genesis. Because having an "Angel" in the team and a litteral One Winged Angel wasn't enough. Please, hit me with a Bible next time that will be quicker. Probably the one of the worst dialogue I've read & heard in a video game, also a flippin' retkon of FF 7's original scene.

Spoiler :
In the OG FF 7, we learn how Zack & Cloud escaped after their battle against Sephiroth and how they were caught by the Shinra. In FF7, Zack doesn't fight against "hundreds" of soldiers. He is shot down by a hand of soldiers who kept making him suffer until they finally empty a whole magazine on his dying body. There's no sad music, it's a complete silence aside for the gunshots. Cloud then crawls to him, takes his sword and cry.

End of the flashback.

In Crisis Core ? Not only Zack fights more than a hundred soldiers, but he also starts the battle by talking (and everyone in front of him politely wait for him to finish his sentence, how nice) and says that he will die "AS A SOLDIER". Yep, the dude is now proud to be the SOLDIER of Shinra, the very same company who has :

1: Harassed his girlfriend
2: Slaughtered civilians
3: Conducted terrible experimentations on Sephiroth, Angel, Genesis, Cloud and himself
4: ruined the planet's health
5: fucking trying to kill him and Cloud at this very moment.

How stupid can Zack be at this point ?! Oh but it gets worse : you can't lose the battle nor you can win, the battle goes on forever until your limit break system goes awry and cannot maintain you alive. BUT ! Everything is fine since despite getting a SHOTGUN SHOT in the HEAD, Zack is STILL ALIVE because well, his limit break activated the Aerith limit so he's alive for a bit more so he can talk to Cloud before finally dying.

It felt so wrong, so stupid and making everything in its power to force the player to tear up but I promise I was almost laughing at it (almost like MGS 3 did when Not Otacon keeps telling you "Wow, you understand what it means, Snake ? You understand that ** did this knowning that you'll have to do that and that ** would be considered a traitor ?! You understand, Snake ? YOU'RE CRYING NOW ?!")

The whole game is a mess, with extremely pretentious and pompous character dialogue, boring battle system that makes you level up whenever it pleases, the jackpot system constantly stops flow of the game just to use a limit break or a summon, even -or especially- when it's completely useless.

So yeah, I think this is the JRPG I hate the most.

If I end up getting this it'll probably be on Xbox but I'm still curious to see it run on Switch. The footage in the Direct trailer looked fine but I don't think it was from the game running on a Switch.
They did release a chart which lists resolution and framerate for platforms, but I would assume they are referring to display modes rather than pixel resolutions and the framerate is naturally a target rather than something concrete.

Absolutely loved and cried playing the original on PSP. I won't be giving the new version a chance though because they changed the voice acting for Zack to someone else and he sounds dreadfully ear bleeding bad. But I will definitely be up to seeing the new cutscenes and what changes they added.

Seems a decent score to me, never played the original, so probably get it at some point
Score seems about right from what I remember of the PSP version. I’m still pre ordering this.

Also I’m surprised DQ Treasures reviews haven’t dropped yet. Game looks great so I’m not too worried though.

Hi all, we removed the score from the thread title so we don’t have to keep updating it, and PMd the OP about it. (Thought I’d say so here so posts mentioning it don’t suddenly look weird!).

One review I saw took points off because the game’s structure is best suited for a handheld
That’s so weird. Remake of a handheld game on a hybrid system than a large portion of players use as a handheld. What next, dock points from every game originally designed for home consoles ported to Switch too.

That’s so weird. Remake of a handheld game on a hybrid system than a large portion of players use as a handheld. What next, dock points from every game originally designed for home consoles ported to Switch too.
Well it's also being released for PlayStation, Xbox, and PC. Maybe the reviewer didn't play the Switch version?

Well it's also being released for PlayStation, Xbox, and PC. Maybe the reviewer didn't play the Switch version?
Maybe they should’ve tried the Switch version then. Also, I’m glad we’re actually getting a portable version unlike the last remaster of a Tabata PSP game.

Maybe they should’ve tried the Switch version then.
Maybe they should have! Did that reviewer mention the Switch version when they complained about how the game feels like it was designed for a handheld?

Even so, knocking points off a game designed to be played in short bursts is a bit odd. Plenty of games use a gameplay loop of ~15 minutes or whatever that works well on portables, any number of roguelikes for example, or monster hunter etc.

I get that it might feel a bit weird to a reviewer used to playing huge rpgs etc, but even so it feels really odd not to take into account its PSP origins.

The kid really loved playing FF7 with me, will this be alright for him as well regarding creepiness, violence etc.? He's turning 9yo soon and didn't have any problems stomaching FF7.

Cool, happy I ordered it. After playing remake last year, I feel like returning to the FF VII universe

what genre is this exactly?
It's an Action RPG with a battle system not unlike FF VII Remake's. Well, it's somewhat simpler still, and has some elements of randomness (triggering summons and the like via a roulette/one-armed bandit style mechanic that stops randomly). You attack, evade and block in real time via the face buttons, while using two shortcut menus for magic/materia and objects like potions. The arenas are rather small, and the game offers free 3rd person camera movement.

Back
Top Bottom