• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Retro Console Wars (Paramount+ documentary about Nintendo vs. Sega)

Nabbit

Heading to Lorule? Rent your equipment here!
We got a free trial to Paramount+ this month, so last night we took the opportunity to watch Console Wars, a movie from a couple years ago that originally premiered on the CBS All Access service that has since been folded into Paramount+.

I've been interested in this movie for a long time. It's been on a book and at some point they were making a live action adaptation, too, with the same Rogen/Goldberg production team. I'm not sure if that's still in the works.

On the whole I found this to be a worthwhile doc, a little less nuanced than the episodes of High Score (Netflix) that I most enjoyed, but still the focus here on Sega and Nintendo was more in my wheelhouse, especially compared to the last episode of two of High Score that focused on stuff like Doom.

This movie was strongly biased toward Sega, in a way that mostly made sense. But I should say it was super focused on the marketing and mindshare battle between Sega and Nintendo specifically in America in the 90's. The main folks interviewed are Sega alums, especially Tom Kalinske. No doubt Kalinske positioning Nintendo as being for kids was a marketing masterstroke that echoes to this day. The film details how Sega's Genesis marketing hit the 90's edgy zeitgeist in a big way and how Nintendo with the Play it Loud campaign, and later PlayStation, attempted the same strategy.

Unfortunately the movie is so focused on Sega of America that it paints Sega of Japan as mismanaged (with insufficient credit for hits to the game developers IMO) and Nintendo of America as malevolent. I would have really appreciated some focus on game developers at both companies, as well as a more balanced approach drawing on Master System, Sega CD and some focus on Dreamcast and the legacy of Sega. But I enjoyed it a lot nonetheless and definitely recommend a watch.

If you're looking for even better documentaries about games, I can't recommend King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters strongly enough, and I also greatly enjoyed Ecstasy of Order. These films are about the competitive Donkey Kong and Tetris scenes. The former is one of my favorite documentaries ever, and the Tetris one is really good also.

I would greatly appreciate any other video game development movie or series recommendations, and welcome impressions about the Console Wars book or film, and especially about your own real life experiences of this time in gaming. I'm really interested in the perspective also of users like @Tailzo who came up with Sega in the 90's in a country outside of America, where I don't know what the marketing or environment for Sega was like.

I loved Console Wars for it's Sega focus and insight, but I agree I was a bit disappointed that it didn't go more into the development side. As someone interested in marketing I was feasting, but I want to hear more from people like Miyamoto and Naka. Seems like nobody ever interviews Yuki Naka.

There's also High Score on Netflix, the focus of which is spread out a bit more. But I'm waiting for the gaming history documentary that goes much deeper into development than these did. Still cool to see documentaries about video game history even being a thing, though.

Last edited:
I still need to watch this. I greatly enjoyed Console Wars the book, even if it's more editorialized fiction than historical record.

Last edited:
Was it as focused on SOA?
Yes, definitely. It's presented as an underdog story, which it was, to be fair. But the way "scenes" and "dialog" play out... I absolutely would not use it as a citation in any games research. I consider it pretty excellent purely in terms of entertainment value lol

Also, plenty of criticism has been made against the dialog in particular in the book, and I'm inclined to agree. I still think it's a fun book, but know that it's...well, it reads like a book that has a foreword by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, lmao

Last edited:
Yes, definitely. It's presented as an underdog story, which it was, to be fair. But the way "scenes" and "dialog" play out... I absolutely would not use it as a citation in any games research. I consider it pretty excellent purely in terms of entertainment value lol

Also, plenty of criticism has been made against the dialog in particular in the book, and I'm inclined to agree. I still think it's a fun book, but know that it's...well, it reads like a book that has a foreword by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, lmao
Interesting! Thanks for sharing. The movie definitely didn't have much dialogue like that, maybe just once or twice. Helps that the words were directly from the persons involved.

Playing with power: the Nintendo story. It's very good as well, I strongly recommend it, if you can find it anywhere.
I'll look for the Tetris one, I love Tetris, thanks for the recommendations 😁

@Nabbit here in Norway I can’t really remember ads for video games at all. But I was born in France and I had gran parents there. In France I remember Sega had an image of being cool, and an underdog. It was also often front and center in many gaming magazines with Sonic being the cool new guy. Sorry if I can’t be too spesific. But in regards to tv ads in Norway, I can’t remember video games at all before playstation.

Playing with power: the Nintendo story. It's very good as well, I strongly recommend it, if you can find it anywhere.
I'll look for the Tetris one, I love Tetris, thanks for the recommendations 😁
That sounds good! I'll check it out, thank you. The Tetris one, I think I rented for a few bucks on Amazon Prime.

@Nabbit here in Norway I can’t really remember ads for video games at all. But I was born in France and I had gran parents there. In France I remember Sega had an image of being cool, and an underdog. It was also often front and center in many gaming magazines with Sonic being the cool new guy. Sorry if I can’t be too spesific. But in regards to tv ads in Norway, I can’t remember video games at all before playstation.

Hi Tailzo, no worries at all, thanks for sharing what you do remember. Sonic definitely had a similar image in America, and then as his popularity faded, Crash took his place.

SEGA honestly advertised how cool they were with the arcade scene. Games like Afterburner, Space Harrier, Hang On, Virtua Fighter, House of the Dead, Virtua Cop. They had a reputation of being one of the kings of the arcade and by the time Master System became a thing, people were wanting to experience SEGA arcade games like Space Harrier and Fantasy Zone from the comfort of their own homes.

It honestly wasn't until Sonic became a thing that the marketing push from SEGA took off into overdrive over here (UK). All the magazine ads and TV advertisements making Sonic look like the coolest and fastest game ever.

OP: I highly recommend The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers (2 volumes worth of reading material with a lot of both famous and unknown Japanese game devs from the 80s, 90s and 2000s) is chock full of the reality of the game dev scene back then. People from Masaya, Hudson, SEGA, Westone Entertainment, Human Entertainment, Capcom, Platinum Games, Falcom, Grasshopper Manufacture, WARP, Love-de-Lic, Game Arts, Quintet and loads more got interviewed describing the dev scene of back then.

Plus other tidbits like Nintendo's interactions with Sony, the involvement of the Yakuza in the games industry and how they were hired to threaten employees to stay with certain companies and other wacky, out there stories too I can't recall right now. Well worth a read. It's an amazing tome of info.

Plus Hardcore Gaming 101's books are also great too.

I'm sure I saw the same/similar programme here in the UK. That focused mainly on Sega of America. Would it have aired here? I wouldn't have watched Paramount+ as I don't even watch the paramount channel I do get.

It's a good dip back into the early 90s, but this show really was 'The Rise (and fall) of Sega' and not console wars. I think the documentary could have spent another hour just examining the same events from Nintendo's POV and make it a 2 parter.

The real plusses for me is they did manage to land a few interviews with some Nintendo big shots and to see Mr. Lincoln again after so long. He looks great.

I'm sure I saw the same/similar programme here in the UK. That focused mainly on Sega of America. Would it have aired here? I wouldn't have watched Paramount+ as I don't even watch the paramount channel I do get.
It originally aired on a subscription service here called CBS All Access (which is where I saw it), and only recently moved to Paramount+. In the UK it very possibly aired on a totally different channel or service as a lot of movies/shows have different contracts with different providers in different countries/regions.

Looks like it aired here on Sky documentaries which is where I must have seen it. Looks like it might be available to watch via them but I can't find a way to search alphabetically.

Back
Top Bottom