• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club "Collector" is just a nice way of saying "hoarder"

The creation of new art is inherently wasteful and extravagant, let alone its distribution via physical media. We have created enough stuff to last us many generations, likely more than the number of generations we have left as a species.

The creation of new art is inherently wasteful and extravagant, let alone its distribution via physical media. We have created enough stuff to last us many generations, likely more than the number of generations we have left as a species.

I'm not really sure about the angle you're pushing here, including your other post. All of human consumption and the basis of how we function and build our society is based around the concept of trading, and without using that premise our species would still be in the dark ages. The entire basis of human growth is based around bringing all our knowledge forward and building from it, sharing information, and in turn, also trading time, material, or whatever. Money being used as a representation of trade and value makes a lot more sense than trying to trade a copy of Xenoblade 3 right to me because I help generate electricity in my job. Unfortunately all idealistic concepts are also required to be intertwined with evil concepts, war, resource control, greed, etc, that's just the nature of any living creature.

All humans try to find a niche or ability to make themselves have value worth trading, just because people go and exploit the system doesn't make it inherently bad, I'm not really sure what you're even trying to drive at with your insights, humans have evolved to a point where we know the best way to live is not worrying about what we need and rather what we want, and that's exactly what people tap into in modern times, nothing fancy about it. People are happiest when survival becomes a background concept, there's nothing wrong with creating modern escapism to tap into modern desires.

I'm not really sure about the angle you're pushing here, including your other post. All of human consumption and the basis of how we function and build our society is based around the concept of trading, and without using that premise our species would still be in the dark ages. The entire basis of human growth is based around bringing all our knowledge forward and building from it, sharing information, and in turn, also trading time, material, or whatever. Money being used as a representation of trade and value makes a lot more sense than trying to trade a copy of Xenoblade 3 right to me because I help generate electricity in my job. Unfortunately all idealistic concepts are also required to be intertwined with evil concepts, war, resource control, greed, etc, that's just the nature of any living creature.

All humans try to find a niche or ability to make themselves have value worth trading, just because people go and exploit the system doesn't make it inherently bad, I'm not really sure what you're even trying to drive at with your insights, humans have evolved to a point where we know the best way to live is not worrying about what we need and rather what we want, and that's exactly what people tap into in modern times, nothing fancy about it. People are happiest when survival becomes a background concept, there's nothing wrong with creating modern escapism to tap into modern desires.
I definitely don't have any insight and I'm not driving at anything. I just find collecting to be a valuable microcosm of the human folly of consumption, and wonder what the relationship is between this folly and life itself. Consumption is integral to the human condition, and by living at all we contribute to the loss of resources. Is there something more valuable than a human life that would be better served by these resources? I definitely do not presume to know, though I see how my posts carried an air of arrogant certainty.

When faced with an inconvenient truth, I find it comforting to step outside of my own life to the point of absurdity and focus back in with the ideas found along the way.

I definitely don't have any insight and I'm not driving at anything. I just find collecting to be a valuable microcosm of the human folly of consumption, and wonder what the relationship is between this folly and life itself. Consumption is integral to the human condition, and by living at all we contribute to the loss of resources. Is there something more valuable than a human life that would be better served by these resources? I definitely do not presume to know, though I see how my posts carried an air of arrogant certainty.

When faced with an inconvenient truth, I find it comforting to step outside of my own life to the point of absurdity and focus back in with the ideas found along the way.

There isn't much insight to gain with it really, outside of the ratio of your expendable income anyways. For most people the desire to collect something will come from something rooted in their childhood, a way to bring back a happy moment or to experience something they may have wanted to at a point, but there are a myriad of other reasons people decide to collect something. I don't really understand the mental defect of actual hoarders though, since somehow their mental state breaks due to some trauma and in turn they decide to collect bags of empty cat litter or whatever. People who collect things they actually like though, it really is just that simple, we like the stuff. I collect a ton as my avatar glimpses into, but I also have a good income to be able to do so without harming my basic needs or retirement plans, since gaming has been a good escapism for me even in the worst points of my life, I've always preferred it as a past time, and I also like knowing the history of it, how it all works, it's my hobby and subject of interest that is not connected to my career life.

I do find that as my work life becomes more burdensome and my health requires more attention that I am able to relegate less time in actually enjoying it however, which makes me wonder about how much value it really gives me at the moment, but those moments can pass so I just let it roll.

There isn't much insight to gain with it really, outside of the ratio of your expendable income anyways. For most people the desire to collect something will come from something rooted in their childhood, a way to bring back a happy moment or to experience something they may have wanted to at a point, but there are a myriad of other reasons people decide to collect something. I don't really understand the mental defect of actual hoarders though, since somehow their mental state breaks due to some trauma and in turn they decide to collect bags of empty cat litter or whatever. People who collect things they actually like though, it really is just that simple, we like the stuff. I collect a ton as my avatar glimpses into, but I also have a good income to be able to do so without harming my basic needs or retirement plans, since gaming has been a good escapism for me even in the worst points of my life, I've always preferred it as a past time, and I also like knowing the history of it, how it all works, it's my hobby and subject of interest that is not connected to my career life.

I do find that as my work life becomes more burdensome and my health requires more attention that I am able to relegate less time in actually enjoying it however, which makes me wonder about how much value it really gives me at the moment, but those moments can pass so I just let it roll.
I suppose that my reaction is itself to the notion that collecting is ontologically wrong. It can be difficult to grapple with if taken to heart.

Back
Top Bottom