• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Event Celebrating 40 Years of Famicom

Status
Not open for further replies.

P4bl0

Project Oz H2 2024
Hey everyone! 🕹️

Today is a momentous occasion as we celebrate the 40th anniversary of the legendary Nintendo Famicom, the console that defined an entire generation of video games.
Launched on July 15, 1983, in Japan, this iconic system redefined our expectations of home entertainment and paved the way for some of the most beloved franchises in gaming history.

It's fascinating to look back on the Famicom's (also known as the Nintendo Entertainment System/NES outside Japan) extensive library of games. From timeless classics like "Super Mario Bros.," "The Legend of Zelda," and "Metroid" to hidden gems that have since gained cult status, it was truly the birthplace of many iconic titles that we still cherish and enjoy today.

But what does this anniversary mean in 2023, and what should we expect from Nintendo? First and foremost, Nintendo has teased us with the announcement of a special website dedicated to the Famicom's 40th anniversary in Japan. Details are scarce as of now, but we're expecting some interesting content, perhaps retrospectives, fan interactions, and special announcements.

We're also hoping for commemorative celebrations that pay homage to the Famicom's legacy. We might see something along the lines of a special edition Nintendo Switch OLED, themed around the Famicom's classic design.

It wouldn't be a Nintendo celebration without some exciting game releases! We may see the release of some classic Famicom titles on the Nintendo Switch Online service. A "Famicom Classics" collection, perhaps, featuring some of the console's most influential titles?

All speculation aside, the true joy of this occasion is reflecting on the 40 years of gaming history that the Famicom has given us. As we look to the future, we remain excited and hopeful about Nintendo's ongoing commitment to quality, innovation, and most importantly, fun. Here's to another 40 years!

Let's celebrate the Famicom's 40th Anniversary! Share your favorite Famicom memories, games, or how the system impacted you personally. 🎮🎉

To think the Famicom beat me here by only 3 months! :ROFLMAO:

Even though it wasn't the first piece of gaming hardware that was in my household (that'd be the 2600!), the NES would be the one that turn me into a hardcore fan of the hobby. Mario, Zelda and Mega Man would be the big three that really set the tone that'd still define my overall "tastes" in gaming, even to this day.

Port NES Remix 1 & 2 you cowards!
Or just make a sequel that would be both the definitive packaging of its three predecessors (including Ultra), as well as with oodles of new content.

Or just make a sequel that would be both the definitive packaging of its three predecessors (including Ultra), as well as with oodles of new content.
Did Ultra actually have any new content?

But yes, indieszero needs something to work on now that the new Theatrhythm is finally out. Sequel would be awesome but porting the first two games is such low-hanging fruit in terms of the stuff stuck on Wii U it’s not even funny.

Did Ultra actually have any new content?
Not exactly "earthshatttering", but I think it'd be amiss to not mention:

Speed Mario Bros, which is exactly what it says on the tin. The entirety of the original game, just running at a higher speed.

"Famicom Remix", which, after you 3 star everything, allows you to play the Japanese versions of the games used, along with the Famicom/FDS's different sound effects (in the JP version, this is flipped to let you access the NES's versions instead).

I'm too young to really remember the Famicom (it beats me by almost a decade), so I don't have all that many (first hand) memories. I did try the og Metroid on VC and the first Zelda, the latter at least still holds up alright nowadays I think. Apart from that I mainly associate it with stupid hard games that sometimes make for some dang great speedruns, especially MexicanRunner is amazing me time and time again :D

We aren’t hosting threads made by AI. -xghost777, Aurc, WestEgg, Bokuringo, MondoMega, VolcanicDynamo, Barely Able

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom