• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Castlevania: Nocturne (Netflix series) premiers on September 28, 2023

TreIII

A Kool Kartoon
Founder
Pronouns
he/him

As was previously announced, this series continues the story of the Netflix Castlevania series, only moving the timeline forward so that we're focusing on Richter, now.

Considering the numerous changes the Netflix adaptation made to the canon, I'm only more interested in seeing what they'll do here. After all, will the events that prompted Richter to action in the first place even happen, since Dracula and Lisa are both alive, happy, and seemingly content to not contact their son until a later date because they want to "stay out of the way"? 🤨

Either way, I'll be there!

spongebob-excited.gif

my boy Richter coming in??? ayoooooooooo

i haven't following the castlevania anime for a while after the first couple of seasons but that's exciting ass shit

After all, will the events that prompted Richter to action in the first place even happen, since Dracula and Lisa are both alive, happy, and seemingly content to not contact their son until a later date because they want to "stay out of the way"?
As someone who did not like that writing decision, this question is hanging over my head, too. There’s a good chance they simply treat Dracula and Lisa as effectively dead to the world.

is warren ellis still writing it?
No. He stopped having involvement after initial work on season 4.

As someone who did not like that writing decision, this question is hanging over my head, too. There’s a good chance they simply treat Dracula and Lisa as effectively dead to the world.
They could always personify the "Curse of Dracula" especially with the introduction of Shaft so that it could be him while technically not being him.

They could always personify the "Curse of Dracula" especially with the introduction of Shaft so that it could be him while technically not being him.
Now, THAT would actually be a nice thing to tie back into the games' old lore. All the stuff about how even if Drac/Soma gets their happy ending, eventually, someone else has to take that throne of being in direct opposition of God.

If they play it right, they could do exactly what I always wished the main games did more of, and the show seemed to have no problem with, considering how Carmilla was propped up as arguable the "main baddie", after a while: just use other vampires, major demons, or even a human as the Big Bad, and give Drac a break. Olrox, Galamoth, some crazy cult devoted to the idea of the Dark Lord being necessary...the options are there, if they want to pursue 'em.

Now, THAT would actually be a nice thing to tie back into the games' old lore. All the stuff about how even if Drac/Soma gets their happy ending, eventually, someone else has to take that throne of being in direct opposition of God.

If they play it right, they could do exactly what I always wished the main games did more of, and the show seemed to have no problem with, considering how Carmilla was propped up as arguable the "main baddie", after a while: just use other vampires, major demons, or even a human as the Big Bad, and give Drac a break. Olrox, Galamoth, some crazy cult devoted to the idea of the Dark Lord being necessary...the options are there, if they want to pursue 'em.
Yeah Olrox and Galamoth are both in SotN so they’re at least around in that time period. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if they take this route given how many different vampires the first show had in the first place, and like you said, Carmilla having such a big role.

Anyways, I’m sooo excited for this😭

Even with TLOU ending up great, I still think this is my favorite (and more interesting) game TV show adaptation.

It is really hard when your series in your company's country is named after your main villain.

This is one of those times where having a western focus where the title is, the more broad albeit goofy "Castlevania" helps with encouraging experimenting.

Damn hell, that "teaser" slaps so hard.

I would've never believed anyone that, of all IPs, Castlevania is the one with one of the best videogame series adaptions.

But i am so here for it.

It is really hard when your series in your company's country is named after your main villain.

This is one of those times where having a western focus where the title is, the more broad albeit goofy "Castlevania" helps with encouraging experimenting.
Funny enough, there have been times when they tried to get away from that. Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow both were released in JP with "Castlevania" on the box. And Lament was simply "Castlevania".

Of course, longtime fans didn't care for it, and they ran that back soon afterwards.

But in an era where Dracula himself could take a back seat, I'd at least just run with the "Akumajou" (Demon Castle) part of the title. At least then it would just simply refer to the place where all the action's happening.

Funny enough, there have been times when they tried to get away from that. Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow both were released in JP with "Castlevania" on the box. And Lament was simply "Castlevania".

Of course, longtime fans didn't care for it, and they ran that back soon afterwards.

But in an era where Dracula himself could take a back seat, I'd at least just run with the "Akumajou" (Demon Castle) part of the title. At least then it would just simply refer to the place where all the action's happening.
It would be a rad naming convention to have the name coming after Akumajou just be the name of the bad guy for that game.

Akumajou: Bartoley
Akumajou: Richter
Akumajou: Shaft
Etc

“I could kill you too, and I will, one day.”

I mean, we all know what’s going to happen to homeboy here, but like, bruh, maybe don’t. You can end the bloodline of legendary vampire hunters. Just handle this now. It isn’t even a big deal. 🤷‍♀️

I'm not quite caught up yet, but that was a damn good trailer.

Moving the timeline forward like this is just one step closer to bringing us the Castlevania holy grail, assuming we can never get an actual game for it: A Julius Belmont series with the battle of 1999, maybe even leading into a Soma/Aria portion

Near the end of the teaser, where Richter starts to glow with that energy.

I'm willing to bet money they're going to show the Grand Cross move. That's totally the buildup for it.

It TOTALLY looks like this:

Holy_Cruz.png

“I could kill you too, and I will, one day.”

I mean, we all know what’s going to happen to homeboy here, but like, bruh, maybe don’t. You can end the bloodline of legendary vampire hunters. Just handle this now. It isn’t even a big deal. 🤷‍♀️

I mean, it's a common thing in the game too, the vampires being too arrogant and cocky, ultimately leading to their end.

I actually think Drac is the only one who's aware of how powerful and thus dangerous a Belmot with the Vampire Killer can be for Vampires. So he's usually the only one actually trying (and thus being the final boss). ^^

According to the description, they made Annette the mage we see in the teaser. That's a great idea, she clearly couldn't stay the typical damsel she was in Rondo of Blood.

According to the description, they made Annette the mage we see in the teaser. That's a great idea, she clearly couldn't stay the typical damsel she was in Rondo of Blood.
And it would certainly fit if they actually made her and Maria sisters (as the SNES game did). That way, even if something happens to Annette, there's still at least one other.

Where are you reading this?
I swear it was in the youtube description when I was watching the teaser, but I guess it was a mistake and they removed it?

It also stated that the main plot was about Annette looking for Trevor to help/lead the French revolutionists againts the nobles who have joined force with a vampire to crush the revolution.

Edit: Douple post sorry.

I swear it was in the youtube description when I was watching the teaser, but I guess it was a mistake and they removed it?

It also stated that the main plot was about Annette looking for Trevor to help/lead the French revolutionists againts the nobles who have joined force with a vampire to crush the revolution.

Edit: Douple post sorry.
I found this!

Not sure if it’s what you found, but confirms the vampire who kills Richter’s mom is Olrox among other things

I'm really looking forward to this for sure, but what I really want after this is a series about 1999. I want to see Julius in his prime!

I didn’t know, they were making another one! Awesome news, really enjoyed the previous seasons. Another show to add to my list of never ending series to watch.

I will also take this as another opportunity to remind everyone to please play Rondo of Blood if you haven’t

Symphony of the Night as well since there's no way this series doesn't adapt that as well.
Good time to shoutout the Requiem collection for PS4/5 owners which is comprised of both!

It’s how I replayed Symphony and played Rondo for the first time. Still the two best games in the series imo. Can’t recommend it enough

Good time to shoutout the Requiem collection for PS4/5 owners which is comprised of both!

It’s how I replayed Symphony and played Rondo for the first time. Still the two best games in the series imo. Can’t recommend it enough
Yeah and if people want it, there's a physical edition available that's affordable compared to the other physical alternatives. Get it while it's cheap.

P.S. I do want it on Switch damn it.

New trailer. I love it! Also the take on the classic Castlevania-music is very cool! Divine Bloodlines!

“I am Richter Belmont. Last descendant of the Belmont clan, and I kill vampires!”

Richter goes so hard on this one vampire in particular. I hope he’s a non-threat, and Richter is unnecessarily being so extra. Like the entire group is just off-screen then the camera pans over after the decapitation and they’re like, “Dude, do you think you got him? Are you sure?”

“WHO’S FUCKING NEXT?!”

😐

Last edited:
So late to the party here, but I am so down and ready for this. I’m actually glad they are doing their own thing from the start instead of loosely adapting some sort of Rondo story. Also mad respect and kudos to them for taking the damsels and letting them be badass (at least Annette and Tera, not sure if Iris is here).

Do the characters swear like a sailor still

I'm all for some crudeness but it felt a little over the top at times in the previous series lol

I haven’t watched Castlevania: Nocturne yet as I was waiting for October 1. Most of my recent YouTube viewing has been Wonderswan and Game Gear modding reviews/tutorials so imagine my surprise when the algorithm recommended this on the home page:

I was so close to avoiding all spoilers then that’s the one I haphazardly see. LOL @ that thumbnail and video title. Posted on the day of the premiere too. Y’all click-thirsty YouTube channels are killing me.

That sucks. I managed to avoid any spoilers and that moment was so hype.

Anyway series was great, gonna be a long wait for season 2 now.

Just finished. Amazing season but so short.

In the original series, I saw season 1 and 2, but just two chapters from season 3.

Should I watch te rest from the orginal? After season 2 ending, I thought the series was over since the endig felt complete. Are season 3 and 4 any good?

Finished Castlevania Nocturne last night. Overall, worse than the original series but still entertaining.
  1. The writing wasn't as strong as the original series. Allegations aside, this is likely due to Warren Ellis being a better writer than Clive Bradley.
    • The current heroes were pretty bland so far except for maybe Maria. I miss the banter and funny/lighthearted moments. The original heroes had chemistry and charm that is noticeably absent here. Sypha was so well-written that I may be judging Nocturne on what it isn't rather than what it is.
  2. The animation was a lot more consistent in Nocturne than the original series so far though I prefer the art style of the original.
  3. Drolta seemed to be inspired by Symphony of the Night's Succubus. She was an effective villain despite limited screen time. The pink hair and latex looking outfit felt of place though.
  4. I previously read some criticism over changes to Annette, but I think people were just internet-mad about the race-swapping. I can't relate as I enjoyed the changes. Annette barely did anything in Rondo of Blood and wasn't even in Symphony of the Night. The changes for the show made her interesting and gave her agency. These are things I want as a viewer. Annette had an actual backstory, and it's one of the major bright spots in terms of characterization and writing.
  5. Richter, on the other hand, walked the line of intolerability. I hope this was merely part of his arc.
  6. Not jiving with Erzsebet Báthory yet. One of the best things about the original series was the depth given to Dracula.
  7. I probably would have marked out had the ending scene not been spoiled for me. Alucard showing up was something I expected once this show was announced so while not great, there are worse spoilers like when I didn't know Maria's mom's name, googled it, and instead of "Tera Renard, Maria's mother", I saw... well...
I have to rewatch as I ran through the show so quickly I missed some things.

Last edited:
In the original series, I saw season 1 and 2, but just two chapters from season 3.

Should I watch te rest from the orginal? After season 2 ending, I thought the series was over since the endig felt complete. Are season 3 and 4 any good?
I would if only for completion's sake. They're significantly worse than the first two seasons.

At its best, Season 3 was setting the chessboard and at its worst, full-on stalling. For example, Alucard did so little, he should have been written out completely.

Season 4 felt like Ellis accidentally knocked over the chessboard, tried to put the pieces back from memory, then wrote from that resulting in some abandoned plot threads and unearned characterization. Season 4 was so bad in this regard it retroactively made Season 3 worse.

Pros:
  1. Saint Germain was one of the best characters in the show in Season 3. A+ performance from Bill Nighy.
  2. Isaac's entire Season 3 arc may be worth the price of admission alone.
  3. The set pieces were really good in Seasons 3 and 4.
  4. Sypha, collectively.
Cons:
  1. The various branching plots didn’t come together by the end.
    • Trevor, Sypha, and Alucard really never crossed paths with Hector, Isaac, and Carmilla and her sisters.
  2. LOL-Alucard in Season 3.
  3. Saint Germain was like the dumbest person ever in Season 4.
  4. If Ellis wanted the Death reveal to hit harder (or rather, at all), Varney should have been introduced in Season 1.
  5. Ellis hella leaned into the whole Hector-as-Lenore’s-pet thing. It was uncomfortable. At times, it felt like he wrote himself into those scenes then right before he submitted the scripts, he replace-all "Warren" to "Hector".
  6. The implication of Lenore being a rapist was just never addressed again. And if you aren't going to, don't spend so much time setting it up. Hector and Lenore then talked like old chums in Season 4 despite where Season 3 left them. Overall, bad/bizarre character work.
  7. The CGI was pretty terrible. Probably should have just cut those out.
There's more, but this is already too long. Before I go, Season 3 had one of my favorite unintentionally funny moments: Before dying, the Judge asked Trevor and Sypha to delete his search history burn his house down. Again, it's a thread that doesn't go anywhere.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom