• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Official Tweet "Beyond Shadowgate" announced, a pixel-art sequel to the classic NES adventure game. (kickstarter is live)

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
note: the first game was actually originally released for Mac back in 1987, it's just that the NES port is the most well known version.

oddly, there already was a "Beyond Shadowgate" released for TurboGrafx-CD, though this seems to be a whole new game rather than a remaster of that.
another interesting to note is the co-developer, Grahf Metal Games. they're an indie studio that made a pair of titles inspired by Shadowgate, so it's cool to see them officially working on the series.

Word is that they're planning a Kickstarter on Febuary 18th, much like the remake of the original game was.

I remember the original one being impossible without a guide, so Yeah, 180+ new ways of daying it's not something that excites me. Still nice to see they want to do an actual followup

Loved the original, backed the remake, loved it too. Definitely interested in this.

Shadowgate 64 was awful though

Not the turbo CD shadowgate?

Dang, just punching the living daylights of everything you comes across was great in that game.

Would rather get a Before Shadowgate game based on this:

860529._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

Dead serious, I would fund this on Kickstarter, and I have long since stopped funding games on Kickstarter.

Yes yes yes!
I thought OP was going to make a joke about the TGCD Shadowgate, but nope! It's a real sequel!

Loved the original, backed the remake, loved it too. Definitely interested in this.

Shadowgate 64 was awful though
I remember that I 100% Shadowgate 64 back then. I was sick and a friend shared this game to me so I played it. I loved the lore and the atmosphere, very King's Fieldy / Demon's Souls. Yes, the game is horribly slow and to this day you can't improve it (and it was even worse back then since I played the PAL 50 Hz version). But still, I managed to enjoy my time on the game, looking for secrets, finding books well hidden in the scenery, reading about the lore.

I wish a new 3D Shadowgate could be done instead of another 2D one. Epxloring a room in 360° isn't the same as looking at a 2D background.

Ey this is really cool! Hope it's going to turn out well.

Some fun facts about the swedish release of this game

This was one of 3 NES games translated to Swedish, the others being Maniac Mansion and Deja Vu. Uninvited was also supposed to be translated but it never happened and didnt get released by Bergsala at all instead.

Sold around 25k units, which is more than more famous NES classics like Probotector (contra), Dr Mario, Duck Hunt and more and about the same as superhits like Mega Man, Mega Man 3 and in the top 50 best selling NES games.

kickstarter is now live.

just a quick reminder in case you missed it.
there's actually a demo on the page, if you'd like to try it before backing.

one utterly wild thing to note is that the promotional art they've been using (which is also intended to be the final boxart.) is done by Stephen Peringer. the same guy who did the box for the original NES port of Shadowgate.
b1e42a14a5ddc4018568e5968b7582ba_original.jpg

This looks fun, I am not normally interested in games like this, but I am happy to try out the demo.

Back
Top Bottom