• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Beyond Good and Evil 2 in Development Hell; "Skull and Bones 2.0"; Devs Believe Canning is Inevitable

ILikeFeet

Warpstar Knight

comes to no surprise. though I find it weird this doesn't fit with Ubishit's vision since it came off as a live service title

I never played the original.

But I recall the direction to BG&E in its reveal was rather shocking cause it didn’t seem like it was going to be like it’s original game. Then at one point it had a short demonstration that made it even more clear it was going to be this live service type game and a prequel, plus fans could have their work into the game?

I’m not surprise it’s having creative issues seeing how the title seemed to be Ancel’s baby.

But I have to be honest. I never thought that game would actually released. Something about it seem off and so much silence made me think “might just be cancelled eventually”

the only reason this game was announced was because of the potential vivendi hostile takeover. not surprised in the slightest they're canning it.

Yeah BG&E2 screamed vaporware to me after that second showing some years ago.

I do believe this will get canned, but idk about Skull & Bones. I feel like that could come out but just flop despite it being based on all the nautical pirate ship stuff from AC4 Black Flag and others. Ubisoft is in this weird place in my eyes currently.

I miss the "Port Rayman 2 to Everything" Ubisoft.

Far too ambitious for its own good...it's definitely not gonna make it. Here's hoping a proper BG&E2 can be made someday, and that the tech for this iteration is reused in the future.

What's wrong with this people. Why the hell are they pushing something like Beyond Good & Evil to be a cutting edge AAA title? It's BG&E, it's audience is specific, spending extra $20 million to make it look like a movie won't net you any extra sales. They should have done what others do, keep it AA. Like Activision did with Crash. They should stop with the AAA shit, there's no big market for these games anymore.

What's wrong with this people. Why the hell are they pushing something like Beyond Good & Evil to be a cutting edge AAA title? It's BG&E, it's audience is specific, spending extra $20 million to make it look like a movie won't net you any extra sales. They should have done what others do, keep it AA. Like Activision did with Crash. They should stop with the AAA shit, there's no big market for these games anymore.
it has a lot of elements with the original BG&E pitch. it was quite before its time. anyway, this was all done because of the hostile Vivendi buyout. the game type appealed to investors and the name appealed to the crowd

it has a lot of elements with the original BG&E pitch. it was quite before its time. anyway, this was all done because of the hostile Vivendi buyout. the game type appealed to investors and the name appealed to the crowd
Yeah but years passed since then. Why didn't shrink the budget and the scale to create more faithful sequel? That way the game would be ready in shorter time and reach more people thanks to the more platforms it would be available on. Making every single game in dev an AAA title is literally a call for bankruptcy.

That’s a bummer to hear for the devs, many of whom I’m sure are working hard on this. But as a big fan of the original, BG&E2 felt off from the first reveal onward. It didn’t seem to have ANY of the essence of the original, and the scope of it seemed outrageous. Nobody who has any esteem for the original wants it to be a Ubisoft mega game of today.

Yeah but years passed since then. Why didn't shrink the budget and the scale to create more faithful sequel? That way the game would be ready in shorter time and reach more people thanks to the more platforms it would be available on. Making every single game in dev an AAA title is literally a call for bankruptcy.
the rewards are too great. anything less, they might as well can it, which it looks to be happening

I'd honestly forgotten this existed. Ubisoft are fully on the 'live service' game model now so there's no space for a game like Beyond Good and Evil in their portfolio these days.

If they took the original game and sprinkled in some modern gaming conventions (an open world map, Dark-Souls inspired combat) it'd probably do reasonably well as a single player game. But nope, if it can't be milked dry, Ubisoft ain't interested.

I frankly couldn't get excited with that trailer reveal several years ago. I always had a sense Ubi was overreaching from the very biginning in the sense that they revealed a trailer for a game barely in development with no concept of what the game was going to be. Just a lot of vague promises,

Had it just been a more down to earth obvious successor/sequel to the GameCube/PS2 era game, then maybe we'd be playing it now.

Yeah, this specifically. The original pitch was described as "Packing a whole universe onto a single CD - mountains, planets, towns." before getting severely cut-down due to console limitations.

and 2 was originally supposed to be a bit closer in scope to the first game. As notably shown by the leaked gameplay demo.

Before it got retooled into the bizarre live-service online-only prequel that it is currently(?).

Yeah, this specifically. The original pitch was described as "Packing a whole universe onto a single CD - mountains, planets, towns." before getting severely cut-down due to console limitations.

and 2 was originally supposed to be a bit closer in scope to the first game. As notably shown by the leaked gameplay demo.

Before it got retooled into the bizarre live-service online-only prequel that it is currently(?).

if there's one thing I'll miss with all these new systems is the fact that hardware limitation-driven design is pretty much dead

Tough to feel bad because I could tell during the announcement trailer that this game barely existed, if it did at all. That trailer felt incredibly shallow. HitRecord joining the project the following year, basically saying “hey make it yourselves if you want it so bad” kinda sealed the deal.

You say that now, but I would give it a few years before committing to that take.
I mean how many Switch-specific games came out that were made with the hardware in mind? The Switch is the system for that mindset to thrive and yet it’s left almost underutilized.

Wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm not. With both this happening and Rayman stuck in Mobile phone hell, the only thing at Ubisoft I now care about is the new Mario+Rabbids game. And maybe that Rayman based TV show, if that ever actually gets developed. I'm kinda expecting the worst on that front too, honestly.

Very clear that Ubi only wants to ship one specific type of game. I feel bad for anyone expecting an old style Splinter Cell game.

When Michel Ancel left the company, I think he said something along the lines of: "The game is in good hands", which was hard to believe. So I don't doubt this at all.

Last edited:
Not surprised and I think it's the best thing that can come out if this. Never looked liked a BG&E game more than in name. Hopefully(let me dream) someone else can get the rights to the IP and make a great game.

It was originally one of my most anticipated releases. I didn't care much that it was far removed from the original game, what they showed looked rad as heck. But as time went on, it really seemed like the game was overambitious and seemed to put flashy CG stuff over gameplay. So as many have echoed here, not surprised.

Ubisoft are a shadow of their former selves. Rayman, Splinter Cell, classic Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil; those glory days are over now and they seemingly treat their employees like garbage, so I don't much like for this company anymore. Yves is a rotten human being.

BG&E2 looked like vaporware that Ubisoft rolls out every so often to insult their glory days. Skull & Bones dev sounds like a right hot mess also.

I kinda hope Nintendo ends up poaching the talent at Ubisoft Milan so I can just stop paying attention to Ubisoft. At least until they start doing anything with Rayman again.

i rembered this game a while ago, and that now, since ancel had left the company a while ago it had no chance to release.

Remember when outlets like Destructoid and Laura Kate Dale said this game was gonna be a (timed) Switch exclusive back in like 2016/2017 lol

Good times

I really like the first game, as I like (love, maybe) Rayman 2 and really liked Ancel's creativity in all, which is a shame since supposedly it seems like he was a rather shitty boss. In all honesty, I think they'd be doing everyone a favour cancelling it now. Making a game like BG&E2 lacking a vision for it is the definition of juxtaposition. Reallocate people into different projects and move on.

Just hope some people don't get fired over this.

Remember when outlets like Destructoid and Laura Kate Dale said this game was gonna be a (timed) Switch exclusive back in like 2016/2017 lol

Good times.
That was so much fun.
So many bullshit rumors about Nintendo Switch launch year line up lmao.
Between this, Nintendo vs Capcom, Pikmin 4, Retro new IP, new F-Zero... I have read so much fanboy dreams turned into rumors back then. Switch pre-full reveal hype (prior to January 13 2017) was something else, I don't think I ever saw something similar for another console.

I like how insiders tended to have the specific of the console and subscription services right, but got the line up completly wrong lmao. BOTW missing launch (so thinking only in Europe), 3D Mario is a launch game, Mario Kart 8 has a lot of new content while Smash is a minimum effort port, Splatoon 1 port, Xenoblade X port, Pokémon Stars... So funny lol

Also like how Mario Rabbids rumors started as a "Yoshi and Rabbids crossover game" lol
Really wonder where that info of BG&E2 as a Switch game started, especially since the game would actually go on to be announced later that year... Obviously not for Switch given the ambition behind.

Beyond good and evil 2 development hell!?

surprised-pikachu.gif

I believe a lot called it for BG&E2 back when Ancel’s leaving the project. Shame that the character designs go to waste if it’s cancelled though

I mean even when the announcement trailer was released it felt like it didn’t know what kind of identity they wanted the game to have so it’s not surprising the development itself was just as directionless

They tried to literally freelance asset work for BG&EW from fans. Of course it was never coming out.

Back
Top Bottom