• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Steam Bethesda.net is getting shutdown in May, all previously purchased titles will be transferred to Steam.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

This is almost certainly tied to them getting acquired by Microsoft last year. As they've been gradually trying to detach from that service over the past few months.
  • Fallout 76, which was initially exclusive to the launcher. Received a Steam release on April 2020. With the option to transfer your copy over.
  • Some games that had features exclusive to Bethesda.net, such as The Evil Within. were transferred over to the Microsoft Store with said content intact.
  • Deathloop was initially announced as using Bethesda.net, but it was changed to Steam at the last minute. Third-party key sellers had to switch over to that, and the retail version contains a key that gets converted to a Steam one when activated on the launcher.
  • Not officially confirmed just yet, but i'd imagine the upcoming retail release of Ghostwire Tokyo will just cut out the middleman. and provide a straight Steam key in the box.
They're not completely removing the Bethesda login system, however. Games that require a login to access will still need one. Save data will also (with the exception of Wolfenstein Youngblood) be transferred across the two services.

I suspect the same thing is going to happen to Battle.net once the Activision purchase is finished, which will definitely be an improvement in several cases. (Remember when Crash Bandicoot 4 inexplicably included always-online DRM?)

Does this mean Bethesda.net prompts will disappear from ports of the old Doom games? Because I always hate seeing that crap in goddamn Doom of all things.

I wonder what will happen to the Mods page for Xbox & PS4 games.
I know you can also get them in the games but the UI was much more pleasant on the website.

I'm absolutely devastated that this is happening.

deviant-evil.gif

The migration process has been officially activated, transfer your games over.

They've added parity between Bethesda.net and the Steam marketplace, so titles that weren't previously on there such as the first two Elder Scrolls games, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, and the Creation Kits for Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition are now accessible through Steam.

Youngblood has also quietly received a patch that removes Denuvo as part of the process. So cue the ending music!

(The Partisan can be used as an alternative, if you prefer.)

Back
Top Bottom