• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Awards Season Is Here! The Golden Joystick Awards are kicking things off. Nominees announced + voting kicks off (voting open till Nov 4)

The Ultimate Game of the Year is...?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
For reasons entirely beyond me, the first major award of the year is happening now, in October, before some of the biggest releases of the year (currently lined up for November) have even launched. And I thought Keighley rushing to have his show in December was bad!

Anyway, it is what it is, so we have the Golden Joystick awards. They're player voted (the "world's biggest player voted awards", based on their own description for themselves), which means you get to have a say!

You can go ahead and vote for your favourite games for yourself. You can also check the nominees there. I won't share all of them, but I figure I'll do the system-specific and overall ones, at least:

PC Game of the Year
Wildermyth
Chivalry 2
Old World
Hitman 3
Pathfinder
The Forgotten City

PlayStation Game of the Year
Returnal
Deathloop
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Resident Evil: Village
Death Stranding Director's Cut
Kena: Bridge Of Spirits

Nintendo Game of the Year
New Pokemon Snap
Neo: The World Ends with You
Monster Hunter Rise
Bravely Default 2
WarioWare: Get It Together
Metroid Dread

Xbox Game of the Year
Lost Judgment
The Ascent
Psychonauts 2
Microsoft Flight Simulator
The Artful Escape
12 Minutes

Ultimate Game of the Year
Deathloop
Psychonauts 2
Resident Evil Village
Ratchet and Clank
Wildermyth
Hitman 3
The Forgotten City
It Takes Two
Metroid Dread
Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Voted for Dread. It’s soooo good. Damn fine video game as fuck video game.

I voted for dread, but I think my personal game of the year would be New Pokemon Snap. It was exactly what I needed, when I needed it.

Maybe we should wait till all the games are out, Dread is probably my fav but stuff like SMTV havent come out yet
SMTV, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, Battlefield 2042, Pokemon (admittedly the last three aren't too likely to be nominated, but still).

Dread is near the top of my list, but I had to go with The Forgotten City. I don't think it has a chance of winning, but I love time loop games and that is one of the best I've played.

Though I still need to play quite a few games on the list and there are more coming before the end of the year so my final GOTY could be quite different.

Dread for sure, buuut The Forgotten City I feel is a top contender for sure.

I haven't played enough of these releases to feel comfortable voting for any of them. Only really a lot of Metroid Dread and some of It Takes Two. Both are brilliant games but it's not impossible I could love the rest of what came out this year had I tried them

This begs a question: are Famiboards going to have their own awards proceedings?

Is there something I’m missing with Mass Effect? Isn’t this just a remaster of the Trilogy? GAA is a remaster too, but at least it would have made more sense as the first time the games been available outside Japan.

Not a surprise to see Dread winning the poll here by quite some margin but it's Psychonauts 2 for me out of the games listed.

Bit of a shame Chicory didn't make it in the Ultimate category, thought it would have a shot outside of Indie but hey ho. On another note, that indie category is pretty strong, played four of the six and really enjoyed them all.

Can't take any GOTY award serious, that starts while the year is still in progress.
There is a reason why the Oscars are in April.

I’ve played only 1 of those games and haven’t even beaten it yet.

Looking back at game of the years recently. I rarely play more then 2 games and even then, lucky to finish one. But last year I manage to play 3 of the top 5-6 games in most lists. And beat 2. What an accomplishment for me honestly.

Currently only played Metroid Dread on that list, though I have Deathloop purchased and ready to go once I've played catchup on the PS5 games I've yet to play, having just got the console.

Shame Eastward is getting snubbed but I get it, it's not a game for everyone.

Echoing sentiments that it's fairly ridiculous having GOTY nominations in October. November was bad enough, it just means any games released in the final two months of the year will invariably get snubbed the following one.

Completed only Psychonauts 2 and Metroid Dread.

Psychonauts 2 could beat Metroid Dread in many categories (story, music, art, etc), but Metroid Dread gameplay is vastly superior to Psychonauts 2, the main factor for me.
Both very good games, but I would give Metroid Dread the GOTY.

Shame Eastward is getting snubbed but I get it, it's not a game for everyone.
Top three lock for me at least 🥰 you dont get a game like Eastward every day (or every year. Or....). We can stan together

I voted Dread, but Rise on the list would have made it genuinely tough to choose

Rooting for Dread. It really deserves it, it's one of those lightning in a bottle moments in gaming where everything lines up perfectly and you have a masterpiece that no one could even dream would be possible.

I at least understand the desire to start awards season in mid-to-late November, but October?

Where the fuck is Rise? By far the best base MH game and easy Game of the Year.

Pff, fine, I'll vote for Metroid.

Back
Top Bottom