• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream announced for PS4, Switch, and PC, coming out February 25, 2022

mazi

picross pundit
Publisher Koei Tecmo Games and developer Gust have announced Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC (Steam). It will launch on February 24, 2022 in Japan and February 25 worldwide.

Looks really good. I think I'll pick this up even though I don't have enough time to play all these RPGs.😭

It's almost certain that Atelier Ryza 3 will be released in the future.
Q:
As an aside, I know many fans thought that the next Atelier title would be "Atelier Ryza 3". What do you think about this one?

A:
I'll just tell you that the summer story is not over yet (laughs).

Well you have plenty to choose from if you do decide to dip in! =P
Well sure but I’m working on Grandia 2, and have the mana collection, digimon cyberslueth collection, FFVIII, IX, X and XII, WOFF and some others plus a couple srpgs in my backlog. I’m trying not to add till I clear some stuff

It's almost certain that Atelier Ryza 3 will be released in the future.

I'm happy that Ryza 3 is being given more dev time. Ryza 2 was so good I was hoping they'd give the finale more time and budget!

This caught me by surprise. I still don't know how Gust finds the time and budget to make these multiple annual game releases... and still make them look better than your mainline Pokemon games.

This caught me by surprise. I still don't know how Gust finds the time and budget to make these multiple annual game releases... and still make them look better than your mainline Pokemon games.
they been making 3D console games longer than game freak has and has access to a more advanced engine that's being used by other parts of Koei Tecmo.

Good thing I chose the first Sophie during the recent sale. I’ve only played the two Ryza games so far but I don’t think I’ll ever get close to playing through all the previous Atelier games.

I just picked up the first game on sale the other week. Really looking forward to this one. If nothing else, there’s always enough Atelier games to keep me busy.

Will they start dubbing these again?
Dubs are probably gone for good sadly. The good thing is that at least it makes it easier for us to get the games day-and-date or at least much closer to the Japan release. No more having to wait months for them to localize them.

I don't know if I've ever heard good things about this trilogy but this is where the dropped time management, right?

I picked up the Dusk trilogy as my first foray into the series and put it on pause towards the end of the first game. I'm fairly certain that in order to strengthen my team up enough to finish I'll have to use up too much time and get a better handle on synthesis and I can't do it, like I don't think it's for me, I can't take the pressure.

KT also confirmed in the Blue Reflection stream costumes colaborations with Sophie 2 / BR Tie

Tr9QepV.jpg

I don't know if I've ever heard good things about this trilogy but this is where the dropped time management, right?

I picked up the Dusk trilogy as my first foray into the series and put it on pause towards the end of the first game. I'm fairly certain that in order to strengthen my team up enough to finish I'll have to use up too much time and get a better handle on synthesis and I can't do it, like I don't think it's for me, I can't take the pressure.

yeah no more time management so the pacing of the game has changed, definitely less pressure, although late game there is always a bit more challenge.

Sophie 1 is a solid entry, I wouldn't say it's the best Atelier game ever made but not even the worst one.

Gust really is a fascinating case, they've always managed to improve step by step with each release, while also mantaining Atelier as an annual franchise so sales are also slowly growing, and Koei Tecmo has greenlighted everything they wanted to make.

I think even though they don't have a multi million seller (yet), there is a sense of accomplishment on seeing that Atelier got 22 mainline games + spin-offs, when so many other franchises elsewhere came and went in the meantime.

With the release of Ryza 2 they've trademarked their own engine Katana, visually their games don't look the most complex but the art style make up for it, and the always great character designs, so they look and run good even on Switch. (and they're good JRPGs to play portably)

Would like to dive into the franchise, maybe it'd be a good starting point.

Well it is a direct sequel, so it'll assume you already know the characters or maybe will have some recap and there will be returning characters as cameo for those who played the other games in the Mysterious trilogy.

But every Atelier game is always marketed towards newcomers so you'll still be able to understand the main story and the mechanics without any problem.

Gameplay wise if you like pure turn based combat like let's say Dragon Quest, this is better than the Ryza series which has the ATB system more similar to Final Fantasy.

Reviewing pretty solidly. Gust is on a roll lately (and is especially impressive considering how quickly they release their multiple titles).

Finally unlocked and playing it right now in switch. It seems Gust keep doing their magic optimizing for switch as now they actually include a quality and performance mode. Haven't noticed much on the town with the 2 modes so I guess it's more on the field

n4QGrkr.jpg

Finally unlocked and playing it right now in switch. It seems Gust keep doing their magic optimizing for switch as now they actually include a quality and performance mode. Haven't noticed much on the town with the 2 modes so I guess it's more on the field

n4QGrkr.jpg

I remember Fire Emblem Warriors did this. Surprised to see it show up in a Gust title! When my copy arrives, I'll probably just put it on performance mode. I'd rather have a better framerate than more detailed graphics.

I remember Fire Emblem Warriors did this. Surprised to see it show up in a Gust title! When my copy arrives, I'll probably just put it on performance mode. I'd rather have a better framerate than more detailed graphics.
Yes, FEW had similar options but that was most on Teamn Ninja than omega force as it hasn't appeared again in any other of their games, meanwhile here not only they added more things (towns now have more people) but they actually keep it stable.

I can see why it was very well reviewed, the seamless battle transition, the battle support system, having already 200 item basket from the beginning, they really made it so you can maximize the time however you want.

n4QGrkr.jpg

Wait what? The PS4 version doesn't have a toggle like this at all even though it would definitely be welcome playing on PS5. I know it could definitely do 4k60 with this game or at least 1080p60 like Ryza 2 could if you set the console to 1080p. Why would this not be a thing on both consoles?

Wait what? The PS4 version doesn't have a toggle like this at all even though it would definitely be welcome playing on PS5. I know it could definitely do 4k60 with this game or at least 1080p60 like Ryza 2 could if you set the console to 1080p. Why would this not be a thing on both consoles?
I guess they don't think it's needed?. And I don't think this option changes the resolution, I've played in the second area with rain to see if there was any difference but I think the option is more about visual effects

Gust make some very clean Switch games, and considering that they release 1 a year, other companies should really take note.
It's amazing how far they've come. I remember the original Switch release of Lydie & Suelle lacking optimization with the graphics being all blurry, yet they have managed to improve with each subsequent release.

This game looks pretty impressive in docked mode with the mClassic. Gust has really gotten their Switch games down.

I just meant to check the game out but ended up putting in a couple of hours already- went from working on Ryza, to working on Blue Reflection, and now this!

This is on my evergrowing list of games I need to play. I still need to finish the first one!

This game looks pretty impressive in docked mode with the mClassic. Gust has really gotten their Switch games down.

I just meant to check the game out but ended up putting in a couple of hours already- went from working on Ryza, to working on Blue Reflection, and now this!

If true, that rumor of Gust being assistant in the graphic department for next FE game by IS makes a lot of sense

Both Ryza 2 and Sohpie 2 look stunning on switch, considering the hardware and those games being multiplatform

Played all the weekend and honestly, I would find difficult to recomend to someone new to the series even though the game is very accesible, as the amount of options you have since the beginning can be overwhelming. The game clearly is focused on veterans of the series and they make it clear with:
  • Sophie being lvl 50 in alchemy
  • Not having to unlock rotation of materials in the cauldron
  • The super synthesis with linked properties and filling the board
  • Having base items unlocked like all elemental bombs, ingots and clothes, and stores selling items that help you unlock their upgraded versions since the beginning
  • You don't need to wait for a character to unlock weapons / armors since that's Plachta's job.
The game even makes fun of the zettel in the description with Sophie commenting she always use it to improve quality lol (as it's one of the items you can loop easily in 1)

I've played around 12 hours, and pretty sure 8 of them where in the atelier just getting recipe after recipe, maximizing their properties and leveling up Plachta's alchemy lvl. By the time I made it to the first boss (the water dragon thing) I already had the second tier of armor and weapons, and it still hit hard (and that was in normal difficulty).

Back
Top Bottom