• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Atari SA has bought the rights to Stern's video game catalog. (Berzerk, Frenzy)

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

for those unaware, Stern Electronics was once a company that made both arcade machines and pinball tables until 1985. where they filed for bankruptcy.
eventually Gary Stern (son of Sam Stern, owner of the original Stern Electronics.) was given SEGA's former Pinball division in 1999, which he used to revive the company (under the name "Stern".)

i think the Stern family still had the rights to the Arcade games even though the modern company solely makes pinball tables, which is how Atari was able to buy it.
the page notes that they've acquired the rights to 12 games, but only Berzerk and Frenzy are directly listed. this is apparently the full list.
  • Armored Car
  • Atomic Castle
  • Berzerk
  • Dark Planet
  • Frenzy
  • Great Guns
  • Lost Tomb
  • Mazer Blazer
  • Minefield
  • Moon War
  • Rescue
  • Tazz-Mania

knowing the modern Atari, a good chunk of the work will likely be licensing the IP out to anyone that asks for it. but i suspect one of those companies is hopefully Digital Eclipse, considering they expressed a light interest in "doing more" for the Atari 50th collection. i can see them making a pack containing detailed historical info (and the various ports) of those 12 games.

it also would be a big win for the classic video game album "Pac-Man Fever", as Berzerk and Mouse Trap are currently the only two games represented on there to not have any form of re-release.

(Mouse Trap was by another long since defunct company, "Exidy". and is so obscure nowadays that Buckner & Garcia weren't able to find a cabinet to record audio from when remastering the album.)

Berzerk is probably my favorite arcade game of all time. Its basic loop is just so fun.

the first project to come out of the acquistion is a reprint of the 2600 port of Berzerk.

pretty tame stuff that fits in the definition of "licensing the IP out to anyone that asks for it.", in this case it's for the 2600+ clone console that supports real cartridges.

i'd imagine better things will come later.

I can't help but wish that 'Atari' would be laser-focused on a few things as opposed to licensing anything to anyone and firing the idea cannon into the wind.

Back
Top Bottom