• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Atari acquired the Intellevision brand and rights to +200 tiles (my mother is very proud)

Koren Lesthe

Turrican, Terranigma and ESO lover
Pronouns
He/Him
"Atari has announced that it has acquired the Intellivision brand along with the rights to over 200 games in a move that, according to Digital Eclipse's studio head Mike Mika, "ends the longest-running console war in history".

As a result, Intellivision Entertainment LLC will rebrand and will continue its work on developing and distributing the Amico brand game console (Atari keenly dodged that one). Atari, meanwhile, will license out new versions of the Intellivision games for the Amico.

The press release goes on to state that "Atari will seek to expand digital and physical distribution of legacy Intellivision games, potentially create new games, and explore brand and licensing opportunities as part of a long-term plan to create value from the Intellivision properties"."

Full article :

While consolidation is universally bad, I might actually argue it’s a good thing that Intellivision’s legacy gets to decouple itself from that Tallarico freak and live on under Atari.

I was just talking to a friend about Amico. I still don't get why it's a thing that tries to exist.
It's basically a family friendly OUYA, and something like that could only work if it actually convinced every dev to dump their games on their storefront. Otherwise, what's the point? Any kid who sees their neighbors have fun with Mario Odyssey will hate their parents if they gift them a console that plays checks Yar's Revenge, Asteroids, and Pong. My friends might play Fortnine and Zelda, but I've got a game from 1972! Thanks, Tommy!
And not like there are a lot of Atari enthusiasts that really want a console that has B-17 Bomber, either.

I think they're effectively obligated to make the Amico boondoggle happen, or go down with the ship. Atari leaving the Amico behind sets that smaller shell company to go into bankruptcy and nothing of value is lost.

It's not like Intellivision is rich in untapped IP. But Atari is likely to at least do something with the gaming history here.

(My opinions on the Amico withheld for the sake of not writing a ten page screed)

I imagine Atari's "continued support" of the Amico amounts to "meeting contractual obligations" before letting it die.

I think they're effectively obligated to make the Amico boondoggle happen, or go down with the ship. Atari leaving the Amico behind sets that smaller shell company to go into bankruptcy and nothing of value is lost.

It's not like Intellivision is rich in untapped IP. But Atari is likely to at least do something with the gaming history here.

(My opinions on the Amico withheld for the sake of not writing a ten page screed)
Correct, I haven’t dove deep into the Amiico investing documents, but this is very much a buy the assets, but not the liabilities situation.

The license back for games to be on a future Amiico is smart to help defend against any investor actions.

people continuously bring up the Amico as "killing the brand" though i think it was on the decline way before that Vaporware console was even a thing. besides, people have been obsessing way too hard over it and Tommy's antics over the past few years. there's better things to focus your whole life on than documenting that scandal.
most inexplicably was the fact MTV, of all companies. released an iOS compilation app containing games for the original console in 2010.
while Atari still hasn't shaken off their merchandising image yet, case in point....

i've grown to accept the fact this stuff seems to be used for good nowadays, funding important game preservation projects. as least as long as Wade is CEO.

(it's also not the first chunk of the brand Atari picked up, the "M Network" label Mattel used for publishing games on the 2600 was bought last year.)

In another dimension, it wasn't a Switch 2 leak that brought the Famiboards servers down, but a single post from Oldpuck on the Amico.

I'm so gonna re-watch Hbomberguy's video...

Back
Top Bottom