• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour atari 50th's full game lineup possibly leaked by dutch retailer, contains 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘺 examples of 2600 cruft.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

putting aside the aforementioned cruft (which i'd assume is legally enforced by atari.) there's some major titles on here that have never been re-released before.
the biggest one here is I-Robot, notable for being the first arcade game to use polygonal graphics.
662785-i-robot-arcade-screenshot-and-the-game-begins.png

both Miner 2049er and it's obscure sequel Bounty Bob Strikes Back are on here, probably the most notable titles on the 8-bit atari computers.
71008-miner-2049er-atari-8-bit-front-cover.jpg

the 8-bit version of Star Raiders (or rather, the 5200 port. which had mostly identical hardware.) is finally back, atari has traditionally only re-released the downgraded 2600 port.
27364-star-raiders-atari-5200-media.jpg

for fans of memes, both ninja golf and cybermorph are represented, XD
29222-ninja-golf-atari-7800-front-cover.jpg

and most surprisingly of all, they've included a recreation of the very early handheld device atari made. Touch Me. this seems to be the extra "reimagined" title mentioned in interviews as being especially historically important.
Touch_Me_-_320752252_-_axeldeviaje.jpg

the only system that doesn't seem to be represented particularly well is the lynx, none of the six games they've included particularly stand out as being historically notable. adding something like Chip's Challenge or Kung Food would have improved it.

I applaud and support anything Atari releases that is an actual game and not, like, NFTs

THEY'RE RERELEASING I-ROBOT?!?!?!?!?

That's... huge

Oh damn. That’s it for Lynx? And no Pitfall?! That game is iconic for the system.

Chips Challenge should have been there for sure :(
I think Pitfall is one of the games that wound up owned by Midway

Pitfall is Activision. I can still remember the cart. The big piece for me is an actual release of the fourth Swordquest game! From what I can tell, it never went much past the idea planning stages. Very little if any coding done. Never close to release. Would truly be exciting to see!

Doesn't Activision Blizzard own Pitfall?
yes, though modern atari has worked with them a few times before. mainly on the cheap plug n play consoles.
Looks OK, but I would have loved to see more of the later arcade stuff: Paperboy, Marble Madness, Toobin’ etc. Oh, and Super Sprint of course!
those are all owned by Warner Bros now, as atari's arcade division was split into it's own company by 1984. if you have an xbox one, there's a compilation containing all of those available for purchase.
battlezone is also unaccounted for due to similar reasons, as modern atari sold the ip to rebellion in 2013.

There are so many gaps in the line up due to licensing issues (the Lynx especially got screwed over) but there's still a lot of great stuff included. I, Robot alone justifies a purchase.

Back
Top Bottom