• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Asus announced next Rog Ally

It’s not really that big of an upgrade. They fixed the SD card issue, faster RAM, it comes in black. It’ll for sure to be the Ally to get but it’s not mind blowing or anything.

It’s not really that big of an upgrade. They fixed the SD card issue, faster RAM, it comes in black. It’ll for sure to be the Ally to get but it’s not mind blowing or anything.

Yeah as far as I understand it, it's an upgraded ROG Ally, or a new revision.
Perhaps in console term, it's a "Slim" version? heh

At the end of the day it's still the same SoC.
Curious if the new memory configuration will have an higher bandwidth. Lenovo Legion Go already has Z1E + LPDDR5X-7500 MT/s, so it's natural for Asus to use that also.

Glad the market for handhelds is booming right now, I’m guessing we are not far off the likes of Steam Deck 2/ROG Ally 2 hitting the market, 2026 perhaps?

Glad the market for handhelds is booming right now, I’m guessing we are not far off the likes of Steam Deck 2/ROG Ally 2 hitting the market, 2026 perhaps?
Probably not until 3nm APUs. Asus said the same thing as Valve, no successor until there's a big enough jump. And folks are questioning if 3nm could even give us that

Bigger battery is good to hear, but Windows + the less efficient APU compared to Deck and particularly Switch will always hold these alternatives back, at least in my eyes. Re-packaged laptops aren’t really the way to go here, but I guess one can’t expect OEMs like Asus to produce something custom like Valve with AMD did.

Its a pass, its strange to me that they dont wait for Z2 (Strix chip i guess?). Perhaps it is a 1Q2025 product instead 2024 but i think they are announcing the Strix lineup (except Halo) on Computex next month.

My brother wants a new Rocket League machine given the Switch port is starting to lag quite a lot. Not sure if it's due to updates being too heavy for the Switch, or due to our device being a launch model in dire need of a fan replacement. Anyway, the Ally X might be a better option over a Steam Deck given the Linux version of RL got axed when Epic got its greedy hands on Psyonix.

Always liked this one more than the steam deck because it has windows rather than valve's whatever, but there's not really a need for these devices with Switch and soon to be Switch 2.

It's too bad fixing the SD card required a hardware revision. Wound up picking up the Legion Go instead and I'm pretty happy with it outside of Lenovo's slow updates and the native portrait screen causing some issues. I'd definitely rather wait for a Rog Ally 2 or Legion Go 2 at this point though. I actually mostly retired my steam deck since I got ahold of the LeGo, mainly because as great as the Deck was it was too limited in compatibility due to the steam os.

Always liked this one more than the steam deck because it has windows rather than valve's whatever, but there's not really a need for these devices with Switch and soon to be Switch 2.
I see devices like that using Windows as a double-edged sword. On one hand, it allows for games from non-Steam sources to be installed and taken "on the go" with relative ease compared to Proton, on the other I'm deeply uncertain how a device running Windows would fare in terms of features like instant suspension (which is probably THE feature that can make or break a modern handheld device) compared to something more dedicated.

"THE SWITCH 2 KILLER"
While it is in no way a Switch killer, my rog ally is making it easy to wait for a Switch 2. It feels great to hold, has all Steam, gog, egs, gamepass, fangames and emulation of every console. I just finished a replay of Skies of Arkadia on it. I love it!

All while having terrible battery life though 😅

Back
Top Bottom