• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Astrophysics, Spacetime and the Universe

Rainbow

Bob-omb
Hey there,

want to start a general Thread to chatter about Science and our Universe. If you have news, documentarys, articles or questions, just post it here. Me alone can't hold such a thread alive anyways.

This is my first Thread here and i dont know if Fami is interested at all. So lets look how it goes :)

First news to start with:

This week, NASA "touched" the sun in first time of human history. We now have a satellite in the orbit of the sun. Those pics looks like fiction, but they are real.

Twitter:

Video:

Spacetime fucks me up.

I've been reading up on it more recently, and trying to get my head around Time being a relative variable that can change depending on speed, gravity, etc is just incredible. It completely changes your perspective on the basic concept of 'distance' between different parts of the galaxy and universe.

The fact that gravity can affect time still blows my mind: It kind of perfectly encapsulates the concept of spacetime, where objects not only affect the physical space around them, but the rate of time. It's all connected.

@JazzPotatoes

I absolutely agree. Einstein was just genious and way ahead of it's time.

I get that space and time belong together and can't be divided. That time is not only a continous flow, but is in fact, relative. But we are not really able to fully understand or even feel it.

Its so abstract and yet so real

Space X are due to launch on the 17th. That falcon 9 booster will be going up for the 11th time. It's already been to space 10 times. That's 10 more times than I have.

I love thinking about dimensions. It's so crazy that it's an idea that is both very easily described in math, but impossible to get a grasp on by our perceptions.
This thing about the universe being expanding in a fourth dimension blows my mind because it means we will never get the whole picture. No matter how human knowlegde advances, we will never truly know what's going on or what's out there, it's simply out of our league because it's not in our dimension. It's crazy.

I love thinking about dimensions. It's so crazy that it's an idea that is both very easily described in math, but impossible to get a grasp on by our perceptions.
This thing about the universe being expanding in a fourth dimension blows my mind because it means we will never get the whole picture. No matter how human knowlegde advances, we will never truly know what's going on or what's out there, it's simply out of our league because it's not in our dimension. It's crazy.
Even if dimensions and multiple universes are proven and humanity makes use of them, it still doesn't solve the question of how it all began. We exist because something existed but how and why did that exist.

I really like how "kurzgesagt" handles this topic .They really can explain complicate science like different Dimensions or Parallel Universes with ease.

Mostly, i watch that and other science series in german. There a a lot of it like Terra X, Raumzeit, Clixoom, LPIndie or Entropy. But luckily, kurzgesagt videos exists in both languages. Are there any english- science series you can recommend?

Strings are super weird. Go down deep enough and apparently it's just them but it's not like you can sweep a bunch of them into a very tiny bucket.

Looks like SpaceX postponed their launch. It's now due tomorrow along with another rocket launch so they can do two launches in the same day.

I like kurzgesagt a lot but some of their videos make me kinda depressed.

Absolutely. That Humanity will never be able to leave our universe- cluster waa mindblowing to me and made me sad. Universe is expanding so fast, even if we could travel to the speed of light, we could never make it past the andromeda- galaxys, because we would never reach them other galaxys. They just travel to fast away from us.

But hey, they are honest :)

And to think Andromeda is in our local group (around 80 galaxies I believe)... The scale of the universe... (there's a fun yt vid with that title).

The Laniakea Supercluster, ours, is supposed to count 100K galaxies.

Absolutely. That Humanity will never be able to leave our universe- cluster waa mindblowing to me and made me sad. Universe is expanding so fast, even if we could travel to the speed of light, we could never make it past the andromeda- galaxys, because we would never reach them other galaxys. They just travel to fast away from us.

But hey, they are honest :)
They are brutally honest. And they are awesome explaining complicated stuff for those (like me) who know nothing about astrophysics. I planed to buy their human age calendar but didn't get info about shipping to Brazil, but I'll try again in 2022.

There are some very good Brazilian channels on this matter too, like Ciência Todo Dia, πRula' Channel, Ponto em Comum and many others, but being in Portuguese is a big hindrance for them to grow.

In less than 120 years we went from first flight here to first flight on Mars. Who knows what crazy things we'll figure out in the future. Space travel/settlement will be humanity's hardest task but it needs to be done. Positivity about humanity's future would lead to positivity towards humanity's present.

You' re right. That's still a lot of Galaxys to conquer :D

I really think we should invest much more in exploring the universe and ceafting it's recources. Can't understand all that commentarys in social networks about how we rather should invest these money into our earthly problems. As if we couldn't do both. We need more education and what could be better than a unionized goal for humanity in exploring and conquering space?

In the long run, theres just no other choice...

One of the coolest things about spacetime is that time dilation is a very real and relevant thing to a bunch of people, if you spend a lot of time on flights (say as a pilot or flight attendant) you'll have to constantly reset your watch as it'll experience time a bit too slowly on average.

Similar thing will happen if you have a physical code token (I forget the actual term for them, a little keychain that constantly displays a new 6 digit code every minute which is synched with a server somewhere and used for logging in), it'll get desynchronized over time if you happen to be flying with it often enough.

Would be weird in the future to take a day trip out of the solar system and come back to know nobody anymore.
An even weirder thought is if you do take a trip out of the solar system at high speeds by the time you get to your destination it's fairly likely that someone who left earth after you did will be there before you get there since earth will have had a long period of time to advance technology.

An even weirder thought is if you do take a trip out of the solar system at high speeds by the time you get to your destination it's fairly likely that someone who left earth after you did will be there before you get there since earth will have had a long period of time to advance technology.
Or that the earth wouldn't be anywhere near where you left it. It's why time travel makes no sense. It's fine to go back in time but if your location stays the same you'd better have a space suit on.

Then just stop the earth for a moment. What could go wrong if you go from 107.000 km/h to zero ;-)

Please be excited!!!

Definitive a wish for christmas. New eyes and ears for a deep look into the universe.

Yes! Awesome! Now let's hope everything goes according to the plan. It takes a month until everthing is unfolded and proofed.

Last edited:
Remember the quader- looking object that the chinese moon- rover photographed some weeks ago?

Turns out its a stone ( as aspected). But they also find a crater next to the stone. So it's probably a object that hit the moon and either break the stone out of the moon or it came to stop there after the impact.

Just found that german source. Maybe you have a english one too?

I'm still not hopeful for the webb until it's in place, cooled down and taken pictures.

We should be dragging asteroids and things on to the moon to mine so that could be 1 to practice on (also if we add mass to the moon it won't escape as quickly)

I'm still not hopeful for the webb until it's in place, cooled down and taken pictures.

We should be dragging asteroids and things on to the moon to mine so that could be 1 to practice on (also if we add mass to the moon it won't escape as quickly)

It need like 6 months til webb cools down and everything is in its place. But the first steps are done.Can't wait.

And yeah, Humanity should get there shit together. Instead of there silly power games and there strive for enourmous riches for a few we should work together to conquer the universe.

I mean like, there are so many threats from inner and outer space. Climate Change, Asteroids, Dark Clouds, Gamme ray bursts, dragged away by the gravity of a huge object. Humanitys end can come quicker than we like to think of it.

carl-sagan-le-th%C3%A9oricien-du-cannabis-2.gif

I really like the PBS Space Time channel on YouTube.

I don’t know a ton about physics, but there’s something about the way the host (an Aussie called Matt O’Dowd) explains things that is really engaging.

Is anyone else here a fan?

so what is the latest we have on the new telescope that is going to orbit L2?

edit:

so I just answered myself, it seems that James Webb will be doing observations until summer, but the good part is that the telescope is deploying with no problems.

so what is the latest we have on the new telescope that is going to orbit L2?

edit:

so I just answered myself, it seems that James Webb will be doing observations until summer, but the good part is that the telescope is deploying with no problems.
Think they are still aligning all the mirror pieces. Got to get that right as we can't fix blurry pictures like they had to do with Hubble.

I really like the PBS Space Time channel on YouTube.

I don’t know a ton about physics, but there’s something about the way the host (an Aussie called Matt O’Dowd) explains things that is really engaging.

Is anyone else here a fan?
I am huge fan of his predecessor, Gabe Ruiz. Dude was awesome.

Back
Top Bottom