• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Are we completely done with Microsoft/Bethesda ports?

Will we see more Microsoft or Bethesda ports?

• Yes, both

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Yes, but only Microsoft ports

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Yes, but only Bethesda ports

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • No, neither

Votes: 28 50.0%

• Total voters

Magic-Man

Perseus Jackson
Pronouns
He/Him
We got Quake and Banjo Kazooie N64 recently, but ports from Microsoft have been slowing down recently. Bethesda ports have been pretty much non-existent (outside of Doom Eternal and Quake) the past couple of years.

Both Bethesda and Microsoft (namely Bethesda) have tons of classics that are ripe for remastering, but will those come to Switch? Or are we done?

If they ported the XBLA version of Banjo-Kazooie I would buy it again like a huge sucker, but I can live with the N64 version.

FG_hYIlXsAY1MGd

I would not count on it. Their upcoming projects are gonna be most likely current gen (ps5/series) so even less of a chance. Unless they wanna port the old Fallouts (3 is enough lol) they is nothing to port.

Remember all those rumours about big Microsoft support coming to Switch? Remember the rumours of Halo/GamePass coming to Switch?

Yeah, it’s pretty much done at this point outside of N64 stuff

Remember all those rumours about big Microsoft support coming to Switch? Remember the rumours of Halo/GamePass coming to Switch?

Yeah, it’s pretty much done at this point outside of N64 stuff
I don't know. I think a Game Pass on Switch becomes more viable after the Activision transaction, not less.

A special version of Game Pass for Switch would basically have to be only Microsoft-owned content, and now they'd have a lot more content.

I think multi-game subscriptions like Ubisoft+ or EA Play eventually hitting Switch is basically inevitable, and I don't really see why Microsoft/Bethesda/Activision/Blizzard wouldn't want to offer a multi-game subscription of their own on Switch when they've already in large part refocused their business on driving subscription growth anyway.

There really aren't any barriers to it that seem insurmountable to me. Both parties stand to make a lot of money on it.

I don't know. I think a Game Pass on Switch becomes more viable after the Activision transaction, not less.

A special version of Game Pass for Switch would basically have to be only Microsoft-owned content, and now they'd have a lot more content.

I think multi-game subscriptions like Ubisoft+ or EA Play eventually hitting Switch is basically inevitable, and I don't really see why Microsoft/Bethesda/Activision/Blizzard wouldn't want to offer a multi-game subscription of their own on Switch when they've already in large part refocused their business on driving subscription growth anyway.

There really aren't any barriers to it that seem insurmountable to me. Both parties stand to make a lot of money on it.

I wonder if Nintendo’s online infrastructure could be an issue? Some people speculated that could be a reason behind no GTA 5/Online on Switch so I wonder if there’s potentially issues getting other GP games with online features working correctly.

I feel like AA and legacy titles will still come to the platform, as they are less likely to be drivers for Gamepass and I don't think Xbox views the switch as a direct competitor.

I do expect more Rare games on NSO and not just N64 stuff. There's a lot they can offer to the NES, SNES and even Genesis libraries too.

For Bethesda I think things are probably winding down unless they start moving into more back catalog ports (Oblivion, FO3, New Vegas, etc). Their new games focusing on PS5 and XBSX are probably just too far a technical bar for porting from here on out.

More stuff was probably cooking with Xbox going by old rumors (Halo MCC, Forza Street, Rare Replay, etc) but I get the sense that was halted with the internal focus shifted to GamePass and XCloud. I think if Nintendo allowed a version of GP on Switch then Xbox Game Studios support would come roaring back with it full tilt.

I do expect more Rare games on NSO and not just N64 stuff. There's a lot they can offer to the NES, SNES and even Genesis libraries too.

For Bethesda I think things are probably winding down unless they start moving into more back catalog ports (Oblivion, FO3, New Vegas, etc). Their new games focusing on PS5 and XBSX are probably just too far a technical bar for porting from here on out.

More stuff was probably cooking with Xbox going by old rumors (Halo MCC, Forza Street, Rare Replay, etc) but I get the sense that was halted with the internal focus shifted to GamePass and XCloud. I think if Nintendo allowed a version of GP on Switch then Xbox Game Studios support would come roaring back with it full tilt.

This post reads like a lot of wishful thinking.

Also, Bethesda is done making PS5 games outside of any gaas title. Starfield is PC and Series X/S only.

Don’t we will see more Bethesda stuff, I think they are not interested on remastering any stuff prior to Skyrim. Shame they didn’t port Fallout 4 in time. (tbf, it still can happen lol).

From Microsoft, I’m sure Rare N64 titles will come to NSO. Even SNES/NES are also possible. I think they were serious discussions on bringing a Halo title to Switch (either the MCC collection or at least 1 single game lol) but the future is always uncertain. Even though, I can see more smash collaborations, Master Chief as playable character would be a huge megaton, at least for the west audience.

Regarding Activision-Blizzard, its an unknown territory. At least, make an smash collaboration and add Crash :).

I'd like to see Oblivion or Morrowind, and Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so hopefully not.

Otherwise, I think Bethesda is done until a stronger Switch comes out. Then we'll get more. Fallout 4, 76, etc.

Microsoft, who knows.

With Bethesda, they've seemed pretty firm on "No Game Pass, no game!" Pre-Skyrim stuff was already being ignored for years before Microsoft came along anyway.

But sure, I expect at least more old Rare stuff to show up.

If this is legit, then it looks like Elder Scrolls and Fallout remasters are coming from InXile. Only question is if these will be multiplatform.

The ports are fairly infrequent anyway, though I expect we'll continue to see more.

I thought we would get an Oblivion port eventually, but they went and di the 60fps 4k wizardry to the original 360 version on XSX, so now I doubt that. Same deal with Fallout 3 and NV.

I don’t know how someone can definitively vote No on anything like this. Both Sony and Microsoft have indicated their future lies in something approaching platform agnosticism for at least some of their output.

I don’t know how someone can definitively vote No on anything like this. Both Sony and Microsoft have indicated their future lies in something approaching platform agnosticism for at least some of their output.
That’s code for “we will put our games on pc as well.”

That’s code for “we will put our games on pc as well.”
No, I don’t think it’s just this. I think they both see the limitations of the current console market and will seek to release on as many pieces of hardware as possible to maximize return and tap markets that might be interested in a piece of software, but not interested enough to spend money on proprietary hardware.

How this is done is 🤷🏻‍♂️ (I’d imagine the cloud probably with some native ports here and there) we just aren’t at that stage yet.

Anyone who thinks the console market will be recognizable in 20 or so years is probably kidding themselves though.

I think time will tell. We cannot really talk about Bethesda ports slowing, when the last big Bethesda game is already on Switch. MS has been very friendly with Nintendo, but we have yet to see how they will treat newer Bethesda titles. Releasing their games on Switch is not much different than releasing them on steam, as it does not directly compete with their business model.

Unlike releasing the games on PS, which is not only a direct console competitor but also has taken steps to compete with gamepass. The difference between Sony and Nintendo is that one has a competing ecosystem that MS would rather people change over from, and the other would not affect MS at all aside from extra software sales.

In situations like this however, I always follow the rule of expect a first party dev to keep games exclusive to their console. Only time will tell, but if they do come to Switch it will be a pleasant suprise rather than a disappointment if they do not.

Back
Top Bottom