• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Are the companies that Nintendo is investing the ones that will have bigger priorities in a future Super Smash Bros. game?

Colonel_Kerfuffle

Elmer Fudd X Grilled Cheese = Best Ship Ever
Pronouns
He/Him/His
A small recap, Nintendo's annual reports have a section, of what they had invested. This is the "Elite Four" of Ninty:

• Bandai Namco
  • Konami
  • Square Enix
  • Koei Tecmo

Yeah, some people is fear mongering that Square Enix and Konami would be cut, but don't be afraid dudes.
Tecmo has a partnership, that came after the collaborative Warriors games (Hyrule, Fire Emblem), so a character from that company is possible.

There are other ones that are less feasible like TV Tokyo (which has the original Pokémon anime) and Kadokawa (they had a fighting game with Sega and the Under Night guys before (Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax), they also have FromSoftware and Spike Chunsoft).

diZqtpwuNMVm9GxDJ24tsc-1200-80.jpg

Bandai Namco has been the developer of the past couple games and they don't even have many characters in. I think the only way this would affect the roster is Sakurai talking to people more but honestly he is at the point where he can just call up any office and they'll at least arrange a meeting I assume.

Edit: I'm an idiot, you meant literal investment so that doesn't really have anything to do with Sakurai. Still no from me, if the next Smash will have more third parties again I assume Nintendo will give Sakurai a big list and that would include many different characters from different companies. I also wouldn't be too surprised if they still look at the ballot results, even with it being 10 years old.

That doesn't seem to be how they roll. Third party characters seem to be mostly based on popularity/prestige with the ability to make some sort of moveset out of them also being a factor.

Plus Bayonetta who is sort of an honorary Nintendo character.

The real questions for the next Smash Bros and it's roster are

1) Is Sakurai coming back to direct, if not are we getting a Sakurai protégé or someone who's "never" been involved* with Smash before.

2) Is it going to be a reboot (to justify all the cuts from Ultimate), an Ultimate Deluxe (everyone back plus new content), or an iterative sequel using the same logic that was used for Smash 64 -> WiiU/3DS**

* As in been a major decision making position or done a bunch of development work. Tons of people are involved with Smash in smaller ways that it'd be almost impossible to find

** Not that Smash Ultimate wasn't an iterative sequel, but the decision to bring everyone back and push the game as a celebration of Smash's legacy changed development priorities.

Not necessarily? Like, Nintendo having any characters from these companies in the next Smash could be a part of them maintaining a stable business relationship, especially considering the success of Ultimate, but it isn't like Smash representation is a mandatory part of that relationship? After all, none of these are new: Nintendo has been one of the biggest shareholders for Bandai Namco since before the companies even merged (there was apparently this whole thing about people thinking Nintendo was gunning to take over or merge with Bandai after they bought a 2.6% stake in 2003), with the other stakes you mention also being decades old by this point.

Plus, your idea falls apart when you notice they don't have anything in Capcom or Sega, which are the companies with the most third-party representation in Smash.

Last edited:
It remains extremely strange to me that people who don't play Super Smash Bros. believe that its roster selection, particularly in the context of third-parties, is based purely off of the most trivial and banal facets of corporatism and perceived platform partisanship.

• Haruka Amami from the iDOLM@STER
  • Pastel & WinBee from TwinBee
  • Jessica Albert from Dragon Quest
  • Ryza Stout from Atelier
There you go OP. That's the confirmed list we'll get in the next Smash. I've save you years of potential specuation.

Back
Top Bottom