• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Anime VS Weeb Shit - A direct comparison

Nah, you're good. People are just so traumatized by bizarre internecine nerd bullying that they no longer find humor in any of this. I get it, but some people process shit through humor, and that's OK too.

This thread: Anime
This post: Weeb shit
No, it's that English speaking spaces on the internet tend to talk about Japanese media and culture in bizarre, patronizing, and sometimes orientalist ways.

We've already had a thread where people argued Splatoon isn't as popular/significant as other Nintendo franchises because it's proportionally more popular in Japan than most of their other flagship series. So I understand OP's intention here, but it should be understandable that the joke raises a few eyebrows.

No, it's that English speaking spaces on the internet tend to talk about Japanese media and culture in bizarre, patronizing, and sometimes orientalist ways.

We've already had a thread where people argued Splatoon isn't as popular/significant as other Nintendo franchises because it's proportionally more popular in Japan than most of their other flagship series. So I understand OP's intention here, but it should be understandable that the joke raises a few eyebrows.
You're obviously correct about the ways that orientalism permeates online conversations about Japanese video games, specifically those that take place in English and are dominated by Americans biases.

But the jokes in this thread are funny precisely because they are skewering a certain kind of extremely online discourse about anime. How else could you possibly interpret somebody calling Mass Effect 2 weeb shit?

What's the issue that you're seeing here? Where are people reproducing toxic discourse about Japanese media rather than skewering it? Is it the word weeb itself? Is it too radioactive, context be damned?

You're obviously correct about the ways that orientalism permeates online conversations about Japanese video games, specifically those that take place in English and are dominated by Americans biases.

But the jokes in this thread are funny precisely because they are skewering a certain kind of extremely online discourse about anime. How else could you possibly interpret somebody calling Mass Effect 2 weeb shit?

What's the issue that you're seeing here? Where are people reproducing toxic discourse about Japanese media rather than skewering it? Is it the word weeb itself? Is it too radioactive, context be damned?
If the joke is to just reproduce an extreme, exaggerated version of the kind of discussion that already happens, then I guess a lot of people find that funnier than I do. Anyway, I've said my piece. I just disliked the characterization that people don't like this joke because they're "traumatized by nerd bullying," (I don't care if people call me a weeb lol) rather than a repeated trend of how often westerners look down on Asian media. That's all I wanted to say.

Back
Top Bottom