• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club amiibo fans: should we be worried?

Are amiibo on the brink of extinction?

• Yes

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • NF..T

Votes: 10 17.9%

• Total voters

Aostia82

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He
EunzRQwVgAA664D.jpg:large

I love my little amiibo.
I have many of them, even if I'm surely not going to 100%'ed them lol

I especially love to buy those little toy-ish interactive statues for the best looking characters or the most obscure Nintendo IP, because it will be hard to find normal merchandise for some of them, outside the "Smash everyone is here" amiibo collection

Now, at the end of this month we are going to get a juicy JRPG, that is slowly but steadily becoming another Nintendo pillar: Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

and as everyone knows, Pyra/Mythra have been added to Smash Ultimate in the last Characters/Fighters pack.

Now, considering that ARMS' Min Min amiibo has been released and that so far we know there have been delays but every Smash character will have its own amiibo, I wonder why they didn't bother to not even tell a thing about Pyra/Mythra amiibo figures

Should we be worried?
I think that Smash ultimate's amiibo will see the light of the day, "later than sooner" lol

But also that there is a serious risk of those statues to be the last ones Nintendo will bother with
Too bad, imho!

Btw, If I had to bet, I'd say that Pyra/Mythra will be playable "heroes" in Xenoblade 3, later this year (like Elma or Shulk for Xenoblade 2, for example) and that their amiibo will be released alongside the Xenoblade 3 DLC that will add them into the new JRPG game by Monolith Soft

With the power of friendship, I kindly ask you: What do you think?

Within the last year we got two new Metroid Amiibo, we just got three new Monster Hunter Amiibo

I think it has slowed but it’s not over. But I definitely think it’s gonna stick to more enthusiast focused franchises

We'll know for definite when Switch 2 comes out. If it supports Amiibo/NFC, Amiibo will continue. If not, they won't.

We'll know for definite when Switch 2 comes out. If it supports Amiibo/NFC, Amiibo will continue. If not, they won't.
NFC support is used for multiple games in Japan/East Asia, I would imagine they will keep supporting NFC but that doesn’t mean amiibo support will continue. I think it will continue because it is a money printer for Nintendo though even if it has slowed down from it’s peak

I 100% believe that the Smash amiibo are coming. It is probably a low priorityat the moment for Nintendo supply chain wise.

Outside of that, it is going to be one or two themes a year at best. The peak has long past

NFC support is used for multiple games in Japan/East Asia, I would imagine they will keep supporting NFC but that doesn’t mean amiibo support will continue. I think it will continue because it is a money printer for Nintendo though even if it has slowed down from it’s peak
Yeah I went too big. Only if NFC is missing will we really know anything.

Which Japanese games use the NFC support?

I don't think it was ever confirmed that Sora isn't getting an amiibo. Just that one was not announced. I really hope he does. Otherwise, the set will forever be incomplete.

the relative failure of amiibo festival and the animal crossing figurine line really slowed everything down, but the fact that third parties are still licensing amiibos should show that they're here to stay even if they're an afterthought

The age old thread title poll do not match curse continues

No there is no need to worry about any smash ultimate characters (OP question)

Yes amiibo larger seem to be phasing out (poll question)

I don't think it was ever confirmed that Sora isn't getting an amiibo. Just that one was not announced. I really hope he does. Otherwise, the set will forever be incomplete.
I'm pretty sure one of the last smash updates added amiibo data for every character not released yet except Sora, I think that's why people think he isn't coming.

The age old thread title poll do not match curse continues

No there is no need to worry about any smash ultimate characters (OP question)

Yes amiibo larger seem to be phasing out (poll question)

Actually, title of the thread and poll questionhave the same fear: amiibo extinction

Smash Ultimate set is just part of the issue here

The Smash amiibo will happen, of course, but at this point I'm concerned about the future. If there are no Splatoon 3 amiibo I think you can stick a fork in it. Those were some of the best-selling amiibo a few years ago.

I think we'll get the remaining Smash Bros. Ultimate amiibo (minus Sora) but after that it's up in the air. I'd say it's likely the brand will be retired after that, but we'll see.

If this truly is the end, I think they had a good run.

The amiibo frenzy in the mid-2010s was fun but it was also incredibly stressful and downright absurd. You had entire waves selling out in literal seconds, you had that one weirdo hate-buying hundreds of Rosalina amiibo to prevent her fans from getting any, you had that person hijacking a truck full of Splatoon amiibo... it was just bonkers and probably the weirdest period for Nintendo fans in a long time.

Last edited:
Yeah I went too big. Only if NFC is missing will we really know anything.

Which Japanese games use the NFC support?

This was the latest one but most are related to games from arcade origin or for games that have cards/toys related to it. They are quite big and NFC support is always a good thing to have

It's obvious Amiibo is done. Wish we had gotten more 3rd party ones like from Resident Evil or Nier.

I would imagine that working out licensing agreements for Steve/Alex and Sephiroth may be holding up Pyra and Mythra, since the amiibo are releasing in order.

They are generally high quality figures for the price so it would be a shame to see them phased out completely. I certainly don't have a complete collection but I have been picking up my faves and I will try and get Pyra / Mythra, Sephiroth, and Sora if they create one.

I think it has slowed but it’s not over. But I definitely think it’s gonna stick to more enthusiast focused franchises
There was only a ton of them initially because they led off with Smash Bros. Releases are going to be a lot more sporadic now.

That said, the whole appeal kinda died down for me after I found I wasn't using them and aside from the unlocks in Mario Kart and Splatoon most of the benefits aren't interesting to me. Plus the chip in my Callie died which was a sad day when I went to scan it for Splatoon 2 :(

As someone with a 100% complete amiibo collection, I certainly hope amiibo aren’t on their way out (and I don’t believe they are), but I kind of appreciate the less frequent releases in some ways at this point, lol. Though I do wish newer games would make better use of amiibo (or even support them at all).

I would be surprised that the figures themselves dont make money for Nintendo, so in that regard stopping them would be odd.

But I suspect the NFC features were part of what Nintendo "liked", yet those received fair backlash for locking features behind the Amiibo. I was surprised that Nintendo didnt include those features as DLC starting with Switch.

A shame that the Amiibo Mario vs DK didnt get a Switch port.

Amiibos are now being deployed as collectors items. They aren't on store shelves anymore. That's the sucky part as they tend to sell out online quickly

I do wish they go a bit more mass market with some of those releases

Tangent, but I guess Nintendo pivoted into the Funko Pop business before even GameStop did. Just wait till they tie NFTs to them

As someone with a as-of-now fully complete Smash amiibo collection, I can't wait for it to be over lol

Though they have definitely slowed and focused more on certain core series, it seems, which is nice.

People waiting for the brand to potentially finally die, and here I am, still waiting for my three or four months old Joker order to finally go through :cry:

Amiibos are now being deployed as collectors items. They aren't on store shelves anymore.
I guess it depends on the amiibo. Each time I visit a Target, no matter which, there's always quite a few of the Metroid Dread two pack on shelves. Like, almost a couple dozen of these packs, just chillin'. I think they overestimated potential demand, and ended up overproducing them, as a result.

I took this pic back in February, but a sight like this isn't super far off from what I see even these days.

I guess it depends on the amiibo. Each time I visit a Target, no matter which, there's always quite a few of the Metroid Dread two pack on shelves. Like, almost a couple dozen of these packs, just chillin'. I think they overestimated potential demand, and ended up overproducing them, as a result.

I took this pic back in February, but a sight like this isn't super far off from what I see even these days.
Wow I haven't see Amiibos like that in the wild for years. So many Metroid ones, WTH.

Wow I haven't see Amiibos like that in the wild for years. So many Metroid ones, WTH.
During my most recent trip, I saw Zelda & Loftwing (also still a super common sight), Min Min, Byleth, and I think they still had some of the Kirby ones, too.

Maybe it just depends on the area? I'm in Los Angeles, and amiibo are still plentiful at Target, Best Buy, and GameStop. Target has an utterly absurd number of the Animal Crossing amiibo cards in stock, too. Packs lining the wall of the Nintendo aisle. I'll try to remember to take a pic, the next time I head back.

I guess if any Fami amiibo collectors in this thread need the hookup for cost + shipping, hit me up, and I'll see what I can do.

During my most recent trip, I saw Zelda & Loftwing (also still a super common sight), Min Min, Byleth, and I think they still had some of the Kirby ones, too.

Maybe it just depends on the area? I'm in Los Angeles, and amiibo are still plentiful at Target, Best Buy, and GameStop. Target has an utterly absurd number of the Animal Crossing amiibo cards in stock, too. Packs lining the wall of the Nintendo aisle. I'll try to remember to take a pic, the next time I head back.

I guess if any Fami amiibo collectors in this thread need the hookup for cost + shipping, hit me up, and I'll see what I can do.
will do, sadly in Canada so we don't have Target. I've been avoiding GameStop/EBgames, but the Best Buys and Walmarts here got rid of their Amiibo sections, in favor of Switch accessories :/

In Tokyo too, you can still find them on the shelves, at retail
Not as many as few years ago, but still present

I've casually found the Min min one, for example, last month, at a very good price compared to Italy, where I should have ordered it online for more

I'm surprised Splatoon 3 amiibo haven't been revealed frankly; there's a gap in the amiibo ID numbering that doesn't make much sense for anything else but that at this point.

I personally datamined wave 2 of the Super Nintendo World bands awhile back (Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Rosalina, Toadette) but I don't think it really caught on anywhere. They're coming though!

I love collecting amiibo even though they don’t really do anything. I’m just happy to have the figures of characters I love especially ones like Lucas and Shulk who basically will never get any affordable merchandise otherwise. (I’m sure there’s some $500 Shulk figure out there)

I’m surprised people see them in the wild so much. I’m not out and about too much, but I basically never see stores remotely stocked. Kind of feels they are coming to an end after Smash wraps up, but I’d like to be wrong.

If Splatoon 3 amiibo are indeed coming then they'll have to reveal them soon. The game a month and a half away.
Splatoon will get it’s own Direct, I would imagine OLED Splatoon was revealed before amiibos/Splatoon Direct due to the need to more time for pre-orders

Yay! Kirby and Mario next please! I can't believe it's been like...6 years?! since Boo came out.

I thought for sure we'd get Kirby amiibo for the anniversary and we still might. But the Sanei plushes are just as great.

I did not expect Splatoon 3 amiibos. I'm guessing that at some point in 2023 we will get amiibos of the Deep Cut posse as well. We probably can't rule out BOTW 2 amiibos as well.

I'm stuck buying these bastards forever, aren't I?

I wish they had a more affordable option for amiibo. I am guilty of buying amiibo cards, it's hard to justify spending 3x the cost of the game itself like Monster Hunter Rise for the statues with a single purpose. I would gladly buy the puck alone with maybe a cool hologram on it for like $5 or just sell officially branded card packs.

wish they would have released a Smash ALTTP/ALBW Zelda amiibo :(
Same! Custom ones are out there though and they're really neat, I really like the LBW one I purchased. There are a lot of cool custom amiibo figurines people make these days.

img_20220812_105943332kftr.jpg

I wish they had a more affordable option for amiibo. I am guilty of buying amiibo cards, it's hard to justify spending 3x the cost of the game itself like Monster Hunter Rise for the statues with a single purpose. I would gladly buy the puck alone with maybe a cool hologram on it for like $5 or just sell officially branded card packs.
Hey, no shame in that! If it's primarily their in-game functionality that you're looking to purchase them for, I agree that they're a little overpriced.

Personally, I only collect Metroid amiibo, and exclusively for the toys themselves. No interest in their in-game purpose. I'm waiting to see if they release anything alongside the Prime remaster. Please Nintendo, give us Meta Ridley, or Metroid Prime (the creature itself), as opposed to yet another Samus.

Pretty bummed that Sora doesn't seem to be getting an Amiibo, but I'll definitely pick up Sephiroth. I'm sure that will be a bloodbath with online retailers.

Back
Top Bottom