• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News ALAN WAKE 2 IS FINALLY REAL! (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023, funded by Epic Games.)

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

I literally cannot think of a better use of the millions Epic is making from Fortnite than this.

Word from Sam Lake at The Game Awards is that this is going to lean further into the horror aspects of the original game, so be prepared for that!

Edit: some incredibly moving words from Sam Lake, thanks to the official Playstation Blog post.
For over a decade, after Alan Wake, in between every project we have made, I have eagerly worked on Alan Wake 2 with a small core team, dreaming up different incarnations of the concept. But getting a large game project funded and greenlit is a complex effort that depends on many things, some of which are beyond our control. We never gave up hope. If anything, we grew more determined as years passed. Each version of the concept felt better than the previous one. It is easy to feel happy and excited now that Alan Wake 2 is finally happening based on our latest iteration of the concept, and not the ones that came before that. We’re so happy to be at this point, after so much hard work, sharing our excitement with you.
Also mentioned at The Game Awards, apparently they're planning to reveal more info in "Summertime" 2022. Though i'd imagine this is just a rough estimate.

Last edited:
I'm happy it's confirmed, less so about the switch to full survival horror, which is a genre I'm not particularly fond of. The original was just on the cusp of how I like my spooky stories. Ah well, I trust Remedy and Sam Lake, they moved heaven and earth to get the IP back, so I know they'll be keen to knock it out the park.

If you haven't played it before, nab the remastered edition folks. It's a great experience and one which won't take too much of your time to complete

Omg im so happy for the fans got into the alan wake universe lately and i love it plaued alan wake 1 and control was a blast. Hyped!

Yep, thank Epic for this one. Game would absolutely not exist without them. Thank you Fortnite!!

I’m so glad they are steering into the strengths of the first game. The action was fine, but it was the only part I felt didn’t carry its weight (and there was so very much).

Can’t wait!

Funded by Epic Games? Didn't expect that, guess it's consoles this time round...
Game flatout would not exist without Epic investing in them fyi. They've been trying for 10 years to get it financed and finally got Epic as a partner.

I understand that, hence why I said it'll be on console for me instead of PC (EGS just isn't there yet in terms of functions). If they can iron out my issues with the original game, this'll be a great ride!

The long road to getting an Alan Wake sequel made
For those of you who are unaware of the significance of this reveal, i've decided to create a quick recap of the history of the series.

Part I: It's not a lake, it's an ocean
Alan_Wake_013.jpg

Originally revealed all the way back in 2005 (really), the game was originally pitched as an open-world adventure game influenced by such works as Twin Peaks.
Eurogamer: From what we know about the game it will be quite non-linear. Does it have a sandbox structure that people will be familiar with, or are you going for a different approach?

Sam Lake:
We're going for a combination of player freedom and story progression. Since we're focused on integrating a good story into the game, it will require a new approach to the game's structure as well. It will be challenging, but it is a challenge we gladly welcome.
At the time, they were still actively looking for a publisher. But it only took about a year for Microsoft to step-in. With plans to release the title as an Xbox 360/Windows Vista exclusive. (The latter of which was even pushed by Intel themselves at a PC developer briefing they did.)
In theory, this would have been a massive grab for them. Remedy was of course hot off the heels of finishing their work on the highly-acclaimed Max Payne series.

But the concept of combining an open world with their standard storytelling proved to be a massive roadblock, which ate into their development time for over three years, and required a retool into something more linear. As recounted by Sam Lake in this Youtube video.

Notably, the final build is still using the exact original map they created. With areas not normally visited by the player in each chapter being used as background detail (Made visible thanks to the engine still being built around open-world stuff in terms of things like draw distance.)

header.jpg

This revised version eventually hit store shelves in 2010, with the PC version completely vanishing in the meantime. It reviewed exceptionally well, but was overshadowed by the fact it happened to share it's release date with the much highly anticipated Red Dead Redemption. The game would also be supplanted by a pair of DLC "episodes", the first of which was bundled with new physical copies of the game.

nightspringloadredux.jpg

Of course, Remedy didn't want to end the series right then and there through one game. With the very next year seeing a leak suggesting that the next game would be a downloadable title. Eventually revealed under it's final name "Alan Wake's American Nightmare" at the Spike VGA awards by the end of the year.
(Notably, the screenshot up there was naturally sourced from the infamous Partnernet development server. and caused quite a headache for game preservationists at the time.)

header.jpg

It was a rather unusual take on the series. Downplaying it's more subtle horror in favor of a deliberately cheesy "grindhouse" setting. When the main villain's theme song is solely about describing how much of a "psycho" he is, you can definitely tell things went in a different direction.

Regardless, it was clear Remedy did not want this to be the end for the series. With the credits cryptically claiming that "Alan Wake's journey through the night will continue."
O0t7A6J.png

Part II: This House of Dreams
Shortly before the release of American Nightmare, the initially planned PC version of the first game finally resurfaced thanks to Remedy constantly asking Microsoft to save it, alongside some development help from fellow Finnish studio Nitro Games.
"I know you're never going to see Alan Wake or Alan Wake's American Nightmare on PlayStation," Hakkinen said. "Those are Xbox exclusives."
and American Nightmare was quickly brought over itself in May.

But the real future of the series would surface thanks to a mysterious blog that looked to have been run by Sam Lake himself.

Written by a woman solely referred to as "Samantha". It depicted a tale of a old house the author bought. Filled with strange poems
IMG_3460.JPG

bizarre photos
shoebox_photo_01.jpg
shoebox_photo_02.jpg

and vivid nightmares recounted by the author.
I heard the doorbell ring and went to open the door. There was a man there. He said he was a federal agent. He showed me his badge and all, just like the FBI agents do in the movies. Here comes the scary part: there was something wrong with his face; it was leaking inky smoke so that I couldn’t see what he looked like. When I woke up I realized that this image totally came from the ink-covered faces in the photos, of course (see the previous post). The man asked me about the shoebox. He said that it contains top-secret information and that I need to give it to him. I got scared that he’ll put me in jail and went to get the shoebox, but I couldn’t find it anywhere. I searched the whole house but it was nowhere. Then I went to the bathroom to look for it, and saw myself in the mirror: my face was covered with inky smoke as well! And that’s when I woke up. When I think back about the dream, it didn’t say “FBI” on his badge; it said “AWE”.

With the Eighth Generation gradually creeping into the limelight, it seemed like the series would be building up for a proper sequel on there, and by May 21st, 2013. Microsoft was finally ready to show off their next system.....

I think everyone knows what happened next at this point, but what seemed like could have been a proper bright spot was them mentioning Remedy. Could this be Alan Wake 2?

Well, not quite.

Remedy's next project would instead be a brand new IP called "Quantum Break", and was planned to blend a Video Game with a live-action TV series. A natural extension of them consistently blending Live-Action cutscenes into their games, but not really what people were expecting.

So what happened here? It turns out Remedy actually did pitch a proper sequel to Alan Wake to Microsoft. But it was rejected.

The remnants of this pitch were used to create the much smaller scale American Nightmare, and this eventually culminated with Microsoft instead suggesting they create a new IP.

Quantum Break would eventually make it to stores by 2016, quite a bit later than intended. But it did at least show Remedy was still thinking about the series, most notably in the form of a live-action clip featuring the character. Labeled as "Return". Remedy even acquired trademarks for the name "Alan Wake's Return" but they were insistent that it was solely intended for this easter egg.
pxgqDJ9.jpg

However, mentions of "AWE", the mysterious agency briefly described in the This House of Dreams blog. Would make multiple appearances as well.
Aside from this text about conspiracies of a "Bureau of Altered World Events", the word frequently shows up on in-game graffiti, and a whiteboard suggests another meaning.

Alan Wake Experience.

Part III: Take Control
With the gap between the release of American Nightmare and the present day steadily growing, it seemed more and more unlikely that the series would come back, especially considering the original game got delisted in 2017 due to licensing issues relating to Music, and Remedy's next project would not involve Microsoft at all, instead being published by 505 games. (and became a timed Epic Games Store exclusive, more on that in a second.)
maxresdefault.jpg

Of course, things aren't always ɥoʍ ʇɥǝʎ sǝǝɯ
sorry, "how they seem."

The premise, of course. Was about a mysterious Bureau devoted to investigating Altered World Events. Sound familiar?
But the real madness began on July 2019, where Remedy publicly revealed they had regained all publishing rights to Alan Wake. With the year prior involving them magically getting the original game back on digital stores.

Once the game released the very next month, the truth was revealed.

CONTROL didn't just have "easter eggs" referencing the series, it was explicitly confirmed to take place in the same universe. Something which would be further explored in the AWE (I.E. Alan Wake Experience) DLC.

Sam Lake himself described these connections as being "10 years" in the making, something which can definitely be inferred from this recap. Things have certainly been changed over time, such as the rebranding of "Altered World Event" agents into the more standard "Federal Bureau of Control" agents. But the basic idea of merging their IPs like this had been there from the beginning.
For over 10 years, we’ve had a crazy dream. The idea that the tales told in some of our games would be connected to each other, a connected world of stories and events with shared characters and lore. Each game is a stand-alone experience, but each game is also a doorway into a larger universe with exciting opportunities for crossover events.

Which leads us to today, thanks to the support of Epic Games (A partnership that wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for 505 taking the EGS deal.) Remedy can finally go back to where the "connected universe" began. Bringing back a franchise people have wanted to return for quite some time.

....Oh, and that quote about the original Alan Wake never coming to Playstation? That's been taken care of too!

Alan Wake is still one of my all-time favorite games so the announcement of an Alan Wake II really pleases me and assuming that trailer was in-engine, it's already visually looking quite spectacular. I would encourage those who have not play the game to give it a chance. One of the best written horror games out there in my personal opinion.

Alan Wake: Remastered is $14 on Epic Game Store for PC with coupon (applies upon checkout). Great deal in my opinion for one of my all-time personal favorite games.

I do hope that by some miracle American Nightmare gets a re-release somehow. Must be some kind of ownership issue with Microsoft given how it wasn't part of the Remastered game. But it was a really fun experience, almost like an arcade version of Alan Wake with an intriguing Majora's Mask-esque timeloop plot. Would be a real shame if it remained stuck on the old Xbox Live Arcade forevermore

launching October 17, 2023

(direct link)

yep, those certainly look to be the agents from the "Return" video in Quantum Break. looks like they even got James McCaffrey to dub Sam Lake again.
he wasn't kidding when he said this was being planned out for years.

the only issue, unfortunately. is that the game is currently digital-only.
Is there a disc-based version of Alan Wake 2 in the works?

There are currently no plans to release Alan Wake 2 on disc.

There are many reasons for this. For one, a large number of have shifted to digital only. You can buy a Sony PlayStation 5 without a disc drive and Microsoft's Xbox Series S is a digital only console. It is not uncommon to release modern games as digital-only.

Secondly, not releasing a disc helps keep the price of the game at $59.99 / €59.99 and the PC version at $49.99 / €49.99.

Finally, we did not want to ship a disc product and have it require a download for the game — we do not think this would make for a great experience either.
the remaster had a physical release (except on PC naturally), which makes things especially unusual.

And you fools thought TOTK would be the undisputed GOTY. FOOLS ALL OF YOU!

In all seriousness I am really stoked this is coming so soon, especially after such a long wait for the sequel. I was a bit wary of the survial horror angle but the trailer seems to indicate it has kept enough Alan Wake-ness enough for me. It was always the setting that struck a chord with me as opposed to the action. Really glad online reception is positive too, this series deserves its time in the sun (so to speak)

I’m really excited for Alan Wake II and will pick up the game no matter what, but I am super bummed out to learn it will be digital only. I really hope Remedy will reconsider there.

Alan Wake is one of my favourite games of all time. The moment I heard his voice I knew what the trailer was for. I’m not super stoked they are leaning into horror for this one but I need to be there day one.

D5984B77A42AB2251D55F67AA1E8156474090323

depicted: me the moment i heard alan's voiceover during the sony presentation

the scope looks super promising from the teaser. i feasted well on control, cannae wait for a modern remedy's take on alan wake

I’m so so excited for this. Alan Wake opened me up to Twin Peaks, horror, and the supernatural in a way no other game has.

It sounds like we’re going to be able to explore Bright Falls which automatically makes this GOTY contender for me. I loved the daytime parts of Alan Wake - soaking it all in knowing the horrors of the night were soon to come. This really does feel like Remedy’s version of Twin Peaks - The Return.

I was hoping for a collectors edition or a physical edition at least but that’s more for displaying. I’m more than happy just to get digital because wow this game. I wonder if the performance of physical Alan Wake remastered sales was so poor they’ve come to this decision - I remember Remedy saying they still hadn’t broken even on that project.

I can see peoples frustrations with digital only but it’s certainly not a deal breaker for me. And from a game conservation perspective, it would make more sense for a physical edition to come once the DLC and updates are all out. Hopefully if the game does well we can get that!

No physical option not even considering it anymore until it's on ps+ or gp, or is heavily discounted to like $20 or below.

the game will be at Gamescom Opening Night live + a surprise character reveal
yes, it's time for more gameplay.

and the new character is a bit of a spoiler for Control shockingly enough.

Mr. Door, for reference. was mentioned by Dylan as a multidimensional traveler. similar to Martin Hatch in Quantum Break

i'd imagine he's an entirely seperate character due to Microsoft still owning the QB IP (and his actor, Lance Reddick, sadly passed away recently.)
the same dialogue also notably establishes that Alex Casey and Max Payne are seperate characters (a universe where a writer wrote about a cop, and one where the cop "is real") for the same reason.

gamescom trailer + the game has been delayed for 10 days

Mr. Door has now been formally shown off.

the delay means the game is now launching October 27th, and is almost certainly because someone at Rockstar had the "hilarious" idea of launching (the retail release of) a new port of Red Dead Redemption a week before the original date, in a repeat of what happened with the first game.

Looks great. Also kudos to Epic for funding the game. No thanks to valve and steamboys will probably cry fowl again.

The trailer looks very, very good. Interesting strategy to blend in live action for the cutscenes.

Back
Top Bottom