• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Advice for moving out?

Magic-Man

Perseus Jackson
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi! I know this is kinda a weird topic for this kind of forum, but I'm just looking for some advice.

I'm planning on moving out of my friends house in late December, and I'll be moving to somewhere around Knoxville Tennessee. I have an uncle up there and I've vacationed in the area a few times, so I'm familiar with it and love it there (it's pretty much the opposite of where I currently live). I'll be renting a room from someone while I look for a better job (I also do Instacart so I'll still have a source of income up there) and I have enough money saved up to last me a while. But this is my first time doing this. My whole life will change and I know for a fact I won't be able to prepare for everything on my own. So what should I know?

Clear your debt if any.
Go through your belongings and sell / give away / throw away what you don’t need.

Start getting packing materials and pack things you don't need to use immediately over the next couple of months. Depending on how much stuff you have to take, a few boxes a week will put in a good position the week of the move.

If you're sharing things with your friend, figure out who's keeping what, and budget for replacing items you're not taking. Also figure out your budget for furniture, etc

After moving to different states twice, I'd say you should be sure to get rid of a lot of belongings you no longer use. Donate what you can or put stuff up on FB marketplace/Mercari/eBay. It really helps.

I'd personally start packing now if you haven't. Getting everything prepped early will help with any stress or anxiety you may have. Also check into local taxes, possible car registration, changing over your insurance if you need to and if your bank has a local branch in the area.

Since you have your savings in order, I think you're set. Seems like you have the most important stuff in order (money, job, place to rent).

Don‘t move fragile or rather big plants. Let them at the old place or give it away to neighbors. Especially If you don’t engage a moving company and not have enough space for all of your stuff in the car. They take away a lot of space and the risk that they don‘t survive the move is not exactly low.

Pack early, pack often. Start now with the items you want to keep but don't necesarily need directly. Keep lists of things to do and have a plan to tackle your move. Pack your stuff in boxes and MARK THEM. Really, it makes unpacking so much easier. And seize this opportunity to declutter! Get rid of stuff you don't want or need.

- As said before, it's a good time to thin out your collection. People tend to bring "everything" with them on their first move, then find out they don't want to drag it around again the second time. You can get ahead of that by one move, it'll save you some time.

- Be prepared for the 'shock' of not living with a friend anymore. Your routine will change.

- Walk / get used to the area as soon as possible. Make note of what's reachable with and without your car, in case it breaks down.

- It's a good time to make sure you have all your legal documents, like your birth certificate. These are usually easier to get in your hometown, which is where I assume you're living right now.

The first move like this is always the hardest, but once you get past it the next ones will be easier.

Interested in this. Though for me it's probably a little different because I'm considering moving out of my parents' house to my friends' house. And their house is like, a few blocks away from my parents' and I can store stuff at my parents' house.

Interested in this. Though for me it's probably a little different because I'm considering moving out of my parents' house to my friends' house. And their house is like, a few blocks away from my parents' and I can store stuff at my parents' house.

It's tempting to do the "keep some stuff back home" but it's a recipe for stuff getting lost/thrown away/etc. If you're gonna move, it's better to just commit and decide what to keep and what to disown/get rid of. I did this setup halfway across town and believe me, it's easier to just rip the bandaid.

The first time we moved, we packed all of our clothes together, dishes together, etc. to keep things organized. Great idea, until you have to load up a 2 ft box of just books. Make sure you consider the weight of your boxes! And reinforce the bottoms with tape. Much better than needing tape you don't have.

Not exactly a moving tip, but for me the hardest part of going from roommates to living alone was figuring out how to relax. You don't realize it, but just having someone you know to chat with eases stress. Without roommates, you need a way to get rid of that. Listening to records, assembling models, drawing. Find something that works for you.

Do you know anyone else in addition to your uncle? Might be a good idea to reach out to others and just get it on their radar to hang out with you as soon as you move. Hardest thing for me to get used to after moving to a new area is the lack of friends/loneliness at start. It helped me to look into meetup groups and other inexpensive hobbies to meet folks, at least to develop some routine.

Have some plan for when you will find new doctor, dentist, eye care, etc. Even if you are not in position to afford insurance, come-up with some plan of how you will resume care as soon as you can. Don’t wanna make a habit of foregoing important health and wellness visits!

Definitely set-up a budget sheet and track what you are spending. It gave me so much peace of mind to know what expenses I can expect, how much I have left, and what I can afford to spend so that I can enjoy myself guilt free.

Back
Top Bottom