• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News A developer says Reddit could charge him $20 million a year to keep his app working

Haziqonfire

Toronto Wasteman
Pronouns
He/Him
Well, this sucks. I’ll probably stop using Reddit all together if it means I can’t use Apollo. The official app is terrible. I’m hoping this just leads to Reddit’s downfall and we start moving towards decentralized social platforms like Mastodon instead.
Apollo, the popular Reddit app for iOS, could face millions of dollars in fees as a result of Reddit’s new paid API model. According to an update posted by developer Christian Selig, Reddit could charge Apollo roughly $20 million per year if it continues operating at its current scale.
Reddit announced changes to its API policy in April, which allows the platform to put limits on the number of API requests made by a third-party client like Apollo. But now, we have more details on what exactly this means: Selig says Reddit plans on charging about $12,000 per 50 million requests.
The Verge.

What the hell, that's some crazy pricing.
Reminds me the change with twitter API. We have some integrations and we already told our customers we simply can't pay the new tiers (even the one that was announced last week) and some of them were mad untill we told them the price.

Not surprising. They've been pushing their app super aggressively the last couple months.

i used to use a 3rd-party application for scheduling posts to create a subreddit featuring a daily feed of art that i found comforting to look at, this would have been absolutely devastating to deal with if it happened back then. as it was one of the few avenues i felt safe discussing that content.

I estimate Apollo will be gone by the end of this month, so I tried using the official app and yeah no. I’ll probably just stop using Reddit all together.

It's either Apollo or nothing. Bye, Reddit. You've mostly been a waste of precious time, anyway.

Long Post, but Apollo is shutting down on sometime on June 30th.

He even has tapes of Reddit CEO lying about Apollo's creator blackmailing Reddit.

It's kinda sad and funny to see Reddit sabotage themselves like Twitter did just a few months prior.

This is gonna backfire on the subs that are closed, because the people who don't care about this protest are just going to go to Discord servers and never return.
All of reddit isn't even working now.

And how are these groups going to even find said Discord servers without another forum like Reddit or being directly invited to one?

Odds are a ton of people might not even know why Reddit is down until after the fact if they ask or Google the question why.

Which is the whole point of a blackout. To protest and to let people who don't know about the situation to ask the question why.

Back
Top Bottom